Portland, ME · Member since 2012 · 616 posts · 550 votes
Has anybody ever failed a housing quality standards inspection (section 8 inspection) because they have a pull chain light rather than a wall switch? I've been approved for a grand for new siding and windows, but must pass a HQ inspection first. The inspector says that pull chains are not allowed, but my brother is a HQ inspector in another city and says there is no such requirement. I've asked the inspector to please look up the regulation to show me and he said he'd "try to find it". I don't want to make an enemy of this man and was very respectful and polite in my request, but I'm not going to just roll over and make an unnecessary improvement. Has anybody else dealt with this?
Rental Property Investor · Milwaukee, WI · Member since 2013 · 6k+ posts · 4k+ votes
13y
In looking at the National Electrical Code, it indicates that bedroom, living room, and dining room light fixtures must be controlled by a light switch and not a pull chain. So in that case I would think that pull chains would not be allowed.
Rental Property Investor · Milwaukee, WI · Member since 2013 · 6k+ posts · 4k+ votes
13y
Do you have the book of required quality standards? If so can you review the book and find the rule yourself? If you can't find it in writing, then it isn't a rule.
Abingdon, MD · Member since 2013 · 193 posts · 60 votes
13y
Dawn A. Is this the Required Quality Standards you are referring to?
http://www.hud.gov/offices/adm/hudclips/guidebooks/7420.10G/7420g10GUID.pdf
If so page 10-8 doesn't really say "you can't have pull Chains" but it does say you need "Permanent" wall or ceiling mounted fixtures (kitchen & bath), I could understand if the inspector views pull chains as non-permanent.
Rental Property Investor · Milwaukee, WI · Member since 2013 · 6k+ posts · 4k+ votes
13y
In looking at the National Electrical Code, it indicates that bedroom, living room, and dining room light fixtures must be controlled by a light switch and not a pull chain. So in that case I would think that pull chains would not be allowed.
Real Estate Broker · Canton, GA · Member since 2010 · 15k+ posts · 11k+ votes
13y
So you are saying there is no way to cut off the power to the fan other than the pull chain??
Here we always have a light switch for the fan in the wall and then the pull chain on the fan itself.
I would think it's a safety issue cutting off current at the switch instead of trying to find the breaker to cut off at the panel. Not an expert but generally if it doesn't cost much you might not want to make waves as long as the inspector is reasonable.
Portland, ME · Member since 2012 · 616 posts · 550 votes
13y
The lights I'm talking about are the main room lights. It's very common in older homes, and Maine has the oldest housing stock in the nation. I believe that a pull chain may not meet code for new construction, but don't think it's required to upgrade to current codes. If that were the case, there would be no section 8 housing in Maine! My electrician was surprised when I told him about this because it is not a safety issue. I'll let you know what happens!
Portland, ME · Member since 2012 · 616 posts · 550 votes
13y
Here's an update: He had to admit that it's not in the regulations so he can't require it! When somebody tells you "no" you can't just take it at face value.