BiggerPockets

Time Wasters - how do you spot them?

Forum Powered By:

19 posts by 15 users

To participate in forum discussions, create a free account or login.

Dan Gheesling

Real Estate Investor from Southfield, Michigan

Jun 02 '11, 04:44 AM

I want to have a little fun with this post...what are some of the signs you see when dealing with investors that tip you off they are wasting your time?

I'm sure this will get pretty humorous! :mrgreen:

Bryan Hancock

Real Estate Investor from Round Rock, Texas

Jun 02 '11, 05:42 AM

They ask you to sign a NCND as the first order of business so that they can put you in touch with their big investor guy.

Medium_inner10_logo__updated_Bryan Hancock, Inner 10 Capital
E-Mail: [email protected]
Telephone: 1-800-577-0401
Our Recent Austin Business Journal Article - http://tinyurl.com/Inner10Capital

Mitch Kronowit Donor

SFR Investor from Orange County, California

Jun 02 '11, 06:06 AM
1 vote

When they say there is this class, seminar, or bootcamp I simply must attend.

Chris Weiler

Real Estate Investor from Anaheim, California

Jun 02 '11, 06:41 AM

When they repeated ask me to "trust them" or, and this was said in another post, they say there is "no downside risk". Both claims make me run in the other direction.

John Ducey

Residential Real Estate Broker from Callicoon, New York

Jun 02 '11, 10:44 AM

Yes when they say "trust me" all the time. It goes back to my bellhoppong days. The people who kept saying, "Don't worry, I'll take care of you, were the worst tippers.

Edited Jun 2 2011, 11:16 by Administrator: Signature info must be contained in your signature, not in posts.

Dan Gheesling

Jun 02 '11, 11:40 PM

Hahahah!

"Trust me" is a classic one.

One of my personal favorites is someone who self-proclaims to be a "expert."

If you are an expert you don't need to tell others, they can make their own judgement.

Robert Pickett

Real Estate Investor from Dallas, Texas

Jun 03 '11, 03:39 AM

TIME WASTERS are What My GRANNY Call (Fo-Nos) BEFORE You Say Something They Already KNOW.... People That Know EVERYTHING...

Nick J.

Real Estate Investor from Scottsdale, Arizona

Jun 03 '11, 03:45 AM
3 votes

A lot of really good responses.

When they tell me they started investing for 2yrs ago and haven't done a deal yet.

Thats about the time I turn them into bird dogs. If they're too scared to do deals, they can just bring them to me :)

Tre Holloway

Real Estate Investor from California

Jun 03 '11, 03:57 AM

^ knowing this is in fact the case when dealing with someone who's too scared to make investments, and you want them to bring you deals, whats the return you're looking for?

what is something that you're willing to invest in? average you're piece of the pie you would want?

Aaron Mazzrillo

Wholesaler from Riverside, California

Jun 03 '11, 04:24 AM
4 votes

Every time I talk to them, they have a completely different business model. One day they are wholesalers, next condo investors, next looking to rehab some houses.

Dan Gheesling

Jun 03 '11, 04:30 AM

@motiv8

Nice conversion method of turning them into bird dogs! LOL

Joel Owens Moderator

Commercial Real Estate Broker from Canton, Georgia

Jun 03 '11, 05:28 AM

Yes there is a difference between when they are trying everything to get something to work and actually someone that has built a multi-layered niche system that brings them in multiple levels of income.

For me right now I am not doing much investing as I am busy with clients on buying and selling their commercial properties.

I do however have my eye on a few properties I am watching that I might go after.

I always ferret out whole the real investors are from the players.My sellers don't want to talk to these clowns.

They want to lock the property up for 50 bucks for a month and then try to assign or create a way to make a few and you have 2 other people in the line trying to collect a fee as well before getting to the end buyer.

Then when the buyer tries to cut them out of a fee they try to lien the property.We have the buyer sign a disclosure that covers all of this and waives any lien rights etc. to try and collect a fee.

If the end buyer will screw the investor then they need to take it up with the buyer after closing.

Medium_allworldrealtyJoel Owens, All World Realty
E-Mail: [email protected]
Telephone: 678-779-2798
www.AWcommercial.com 678-779-2798 [email protected]

F Foster Donor

Jun 03 '11, 11:57 AM
1 vote

In Texas they say,"Big Hat-No Cows." LOL

Tre Holloway

Jun 03 '11, 12:37 PM

thats a good quote, right there. im not trying to waste anyones time and i was hoping that someone would be interested to get a deal going.

Max Drizin

Real Estate Investor from Milwaukee, Wisconsin

Jun 04 '11, 11:09 AM
2 votes

The worst ones are the ones that want all of my financial statements that could ever exist.

Sometimes, it's an investor that wants to see the five year pro forma for a property I have an offer on. Then, they want the "best" and "worst" case scenarios for the pro forma. Then, they want ten-year documents. They want all the other pro formas for my other properties, the rent rolls, what my projected and actual rents are/were, twenty comparable properties in the area, a detailed description of every tenant in the property, the possible effects of the place being a rooming house versus an apartment versus an owner-occupied versus an airplane or whatever else they can think of.

Then, there are sellers that apparently can't take me seriously. I like to move fast with my deals. If it's logical, I do my best to pay cash for a property. I don't put contingencies in my deals. I've worked with inspectors before, and I know that they are worthless enough that I can look at basement walls and see the roof on my own when I drive past the place, I don't need to spend a few hundred dollars and lose a property because I wanted to waste my time with some "inspector" who has a flashlight and a checklist. I have your rent roll, your expenses, and I've been through all of the units. That is plenty to make a decision.

Typically, it isn't even time wasters that they won't ever work with me, it's that they aren't the trouble. I won't put weeks into scouting and negotiating one property, I could do several deals in that time. People need to understand that investment isn't like choosing the house that they want to live in, there's less time to act.

Chris Weiler

Real Estate Investor from Anaheim, California

Jun 05 '11, 11:22 AM

When someone asks for funding and it HAS to happened in the next two days.

Charles Perkins

Landlord from Seattle, Washington

Jun 05 '11, 11:57 AM

I know I have found a time waster when they are talking amount no money down deals and asking newbie questions like what is a good deal and where can I find them.

Chenelle Travis

Real Estate Investor from

Jun 19 '11, 08:47 AM

My father taught me that when I talk to them "they are like nailing jello to a fence."

So far it has been 100% correct for me.

Jason Wheeler

Private Money Lender from Pleasant Hill, California

Jun 19 '11, 09:16 AM

When they needed an approval or proof of funds letter yesterday but refuse to fax you a contract or escrow info...

(Don't Want to See This? Log in or Create a Free BiggerPockets.com Account!)

Ubg-book

Get the Free eBook from BiggerPockets

Get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks, and techniques delivered straight to your inbox weekly!

• Actionable Advice for Getting Started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more!

We hate spam just as much as you

To post a reply or start a new discussion, create a free account or login.

Manage Keyword Alerts

View All Forums