BiggerPockets

Is fortune builders mastery program legit?

Forum Powered By:

108 posts by 66 users

To participate in forum discussions, create a free account or login.

Keri A.

Rehabber from Kingwood, Texas

May 16 '12, 07:35 PM

I attended the 3day FB seminar in Houston. I thought it was really good! I am considering doing the mastery program. Has anyone been through the program? If so, is it worth the 25k?

Sam Craven Verified

Real Estate Investor from Houston, Texas

May 16 '12, 07:55 PM

Keri, fortune builders has been covered a few times if you use the search function. It depends if you think it is worth it.

This will mostt likely spark a debate about money mongering gurus and people that believe in coaching.

Ultimately you need to do your due diligence and make that choice.

P.S. I'm a KHS alum!

Medium_solid_logoSam Craven, Senna Homes
E-Mail: [email protected]
Telephone: 832-722-4815
Investing in Houston Real Estate

Keri A.

May 16 '12, 08:09 PM

Thanks Sam! I tried to search it and couldn't find anything recent...only from like 2008. I would love to talk to some that went through the program...believe me, I have done my research, just curious if people liked it. I am sure there are lots of opinions.
My husband taught govt. And coached bball at KHS probably when you were there.

Monica Breckenridge

Residential Real Estate Agent from Colorado Springs, Colorado

May 16 '12, 08:11 PM

$25k wow that is a lot of money. I haven't even spent that much in education in the past 5 years in the business. Are there any local mentors you can try first that specializes in your market?

Kevin Hurney

Hudson, Florida

May 16 '12, 08:18 PM

i was contacted by FB about their coaching and they wanted me to call my credit card companies to get my credit increased so I could pay 3k for their program.

Keri A.

May 16 '12, 08:19 PM

Monica,
I am just starting out and do not have a mentor. Plus they offer to streamline a lot of the systems and marketing. I would also be splitting it with a partner....

Tom A.

Real Estate Investor from West Bloomfield, Michigan

May 16 '12, 08:23 PM
15 votes

First take $1K and:

- Join your local REIA, attend regularly and talk to the people there (~$150 - $200/year)
- Take some friendly local investors out to lunch/dinner/drinks ($50 per "date")
- Buy some good RE investing books ($5 - $20 each, used or new)
- Pick up a few well-regarded guru courses used on Ebay ($100 - $200 each)

That will give you big head start without having to throw $25K at something that may or may not be what you're looking for.

Telephone: (248) 387-9864
Tom Auterman - Investor/Agent 248-387-9864 [email protected] www.facebook.com/WeLoveTheHouse

David Beard

Real Estate Investor from Cincinnati, Ohio

May 16 '12, 08:26 PM

Use google search and type into the search box:

site:www.biggerpockets.com fortune builders

The search box at the top of the BP forum screen is very ineffectual.

$25K is a staggering sum, please think twice, or three times! Find a mentor, as Monica suggests, at your REI meeting. Read inexpensive books, read BP, network!

Telephone: 502-321-6328

Ryan M.

West, Michigan

May 16 '12, 08:32 PM
1 vote

I have to share this:

At a garage sale in Florida this year I found a Carleton Sheets program (CDs, Videos, Books) all in the orginal packaging with the plastic still wrapped around it. The person had a price of $6 on it, talked them to $2. Then went through the stuff and sold it on ebay for $18.

Ed O.

Real Estate Investor from

May 16 '12, 08:32 PM
4 votes

This site is generally anit-guru. I have heard some of Than Merrils materials and they were nothing that impressed me.
These guys running tv shows and selling mastery programs on the side are a bunch of jokers if you ask me.

I'd learn what you can for free and then spend a lot of time on Biggerpockets. There's great people here that could be guru's if they wanted to, but instead believe in helping others in the business without getting an absurd amount of money.

You can learn just as much from a $600 guru as you can from a $25k guru. Once they have their money, you are generally worthless to them.

Figure out what focus you wish to have in your investing and attend a local REIA. Get cards and take some successful, full time investors to lunch and see what you can learn.

Also, send a message to Joshua Dorkin, asking him when the next BP summit will be, and mark your calendar.

I'm not saying don't spend money on a guru. What I am saying, is, in my honest opinion, spending an amount anywhere near where you are is extremely foolish.

Go on ebay, scoop up the 2011 courses if you want some content. They're like 99% off the current prices. Also, if you want to be successful, get local mentor and strongly consider compensating them for their help. It will likely be worth more than the gurus if you pick the right one.

Also, for $15, you can scoop up a great RE book by Rich Weese, From Janitor to Multimillionaire. He was the guru before there were gurus.

Joel Owens Moderator

Real Estate Broker from Canton, Georgia

May 16 '12, 09:52 PM

"- Take some friendly local investors out to lunch/dinner/drinks ($50 per "date")"

I would add to this to take out investors that SPECIALIZE in the type of real estate you want to get into.

It does you no good to spend time say for instance with people that flip mobile home parks if that's not what you want to learn.Sure I always read up on different niches to see their take on it an dhow they have been successful with that strategy but I don't go too deep with it.

If you have no clue what niche you want to be in then yes take out different investors to get a guide on what you want to do.

Just like real estate brokers and agents entering the business you have to FIND YOUR WAY and pick a path to go down.Once you have a successful stream set up and going then you can look to add another niche you like if you want.

Medium_allworldrealtyJoel Owens, All World Realty
Telephone: 678-779-2798
www.AWcommercial.com 678-779-2798 [email protected]

Tim G.

Wholesaler from San Diego, California

May 16 '12, 11:56 PM

Tom A. offered some great advice.

Keri A.

May 17 '12, 05:20 AM
1 vote

Thanks for all of the advice! Anyone free for lunch? He,he

Clay Huber

Real Estate Investor from Grand Rapids, Michigan

May 21 '12, 11:02 AM

Between BiggerPockets and Google, there is absolutely no need for anything that costs this much. One benefit to a program like that is all the information "is" organized and in one place; however, let's put Benjamin Franklin's saying of "a penny saved is a penny earned" into effect...

You spend 20 hours researching on BiggerPockets, and searching on Google. By doing this, you are "saving" (and therefore "earning") $1,250 per hour ($25k/20).

To me, I'd gladly sit in my underwear at my computer, maybe make a few phone calls, if I knew I was essentially earning $1,250 an hour.

Obviously, if you can gather all the available information out there in less time than 20 hours, you're "earnings" rise that much more.

Maximilian Benjamin

Real Estate Investor from Columbus, Ohio

May 21 '12, 03:42 PM

I have read about them, and have seen their "Flip This House" series but never participated.

Between some basic books that help with the "general feel" of real estate investing and this site I would be hard pressed to think that spending anywhere near that amount would be generally beneficial. I haven't had the opportunity to sit over lunch with someone in the market yet but this site has helped get me started and helped me "fill in the blanks" that books gloss over, and that you may not get with a $1000 course, let alone a 25k course. "How to bulletproof your rental,"-none of my books have that!

FYI, I just googled FortuneBuilders and looked at what one of their reviewers said about it. That they were excited and motivated and inspired...I felt that way after the BP Summit! I guess I saved a boatload...

Now if anyone has any FB materials then I would gladly peruse them...LOL!

Stephanie J.

Real Estate Investor from Spring, Texas

May 21 '12, 06:32 PM

I was at this same seminar. Glad I followed my instincts and did not purchase their program. They seem to be legit but in my opinion it is extremely over priced.

Oh I read several reviews which said a few weeks after attending they received an discounted offer for the program.

McKellar Newsom

Landlord from Chattanooga, Tennessee

May 21 '12, 07:01 PM

At the BP Summit, I met a lot of nice investors from Texas. I think you can learn a lot and save even more by contacting some of them. Good luck. mck

McKellar Newsom,
Telephone: 423-902-8558
McKellar Newsom 423-902-8558 [email protected]

J Scott Moderator Donor

Real Estate Investor from Ellicott City, Maryland

May 22 '12, 06:09 AM
9 votes

If you want to invest $25K into rehabbing education, here are two better suggestions:

1. Find a low priced house in your area that seems like a reasonable deal based on some simple analysis techniques you can find here on BP (let me know if you need a link). Buy the house, rehab it, and resell it. Make lots of mistakes along the way. Write down your mistakes, share them here on BP, and get input from us on how not to make those same mistakes in the future. In the end, you may make a little money, you may lose a little money, but its safe to say you wont lose $25K and youll learn more that you would have through a high-priced seminar. Do it again. You'll lose less (and probably make money) the second time around. Then do it again. If you don't make money by the third time, you're probably not cut out for this business, but you still shouldn't have lost more than $25K along the way.

2. Take $3000 to fly to Atlanta and get a hotel for 2 months. Pay me $20K to teach you my "fortune builders" program. You'll save $2K and get a vacation out of it.

Btw, that #2 suggestion will probably work with other investors as well, so you don't necessarily need to be stuck with ME for 2 months. :)

Medium_lishproplogoJ Scott, Lish Properties, LLC
CHECK OUT MY BIGGERPOCKETS BOOKS: http://www.biggerpockets.com/flippingbook

Bill Gulley

Real Estate Investor from Springfield, Missouri

May 22 '12, 06:38 AM

HOLLY COW!

I can do it in a month of intense, one on one, bring your calculator!

LOL

Tom A, has good advice up there but first, go to a state real estate broker's school and learn the laws, basics and market in your area. It's the quickest and best RE education for the money, you don't need to take the test, or you could....depending on what you want to do.

There, I just saved you $24,000.00!

Michael Lauther

Residential Landlord from Hampton Bays, New York

May 22 '12, 06:44 AM

You have been given some solid advice. If you take Tom's and Bill's advice and learn about the markets you want to participate in you would be something quite unique :

A newbie wholesaler that can actually purchase the property.
That is assuming wholesaling is a course you want to follow.

Spend money on education but don't waste money you will need to be successful.

(Don't Want to See This? Log in or Create a Free BiggerPockets.com Account!)

Ubg-book

Get the Free eBook from BiggerPockets

Get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks, and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable Advice for Getting Started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more!

We hate spam just as much as you

To post a reply or start a new discussion, create a free account or login.

Manage Keyword Alerts

View All Forums