Skip to content
Pro Members Get Full Access
Succeed in real estate investing with proven toolkits that have helped thousands of aspiring and existing investors achieve financial freedom.
$0 TODAY
$32.50/month, billed annually after your 7-day trial.
Cancel anytime
Find the right properties and ace your analysis
Market Finder with key investor metrics for all US markets, plus a list of recommended markets.
Deal Finder with investor-focused filters and notifications for new properties
Unlimited access to 9+ rental analysis calculators and rent estimator tools
Off-market deal finding software from Invelo ($638 value)
Supercharge your network
Pro profile badge
Pro exclusive community forums and threads
Build your landlord command center
All-in-one property management software from RentRedi ($240 value)
Portfolio monitoring and accounting from Stessa
Lawyer-approved lease agreement packages for all 50-states ($4,950 value) *annual subscribers only
Shortcut the learning curve
Live Q&A sessions with experts
Webinar replay archive
50% off investing courses ($290 value)
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 3 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
General Landlording & Rental Properties
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Ryan Rubel
  • Engineer
  • Schaumburg, IL
Votes |
Village Rental Home Inspection

Ryan Rubel
  • Engineer
  • Schaumburg, IL
Posted Aug 24 2015, 12:36

I have a rental home where the village contacted me to do their rental inspection that is required every 3 years.  My PM coordinated with the village inspector to do a walk through the house.  I'm shocked at the amount of stuff that needs to be done.  This is going to require plumbers and electricians and HVAC professionals which I'm sure is going to be very expensive.  Here's the list of what my PM wrote down that needs to be done.  The official report comes in next week which I'm told will likely have more.

1) Electrical in the bathroom is off and causing issues with the lighting and exhaust fan.

2) There needs to be smoke detectors in all 3 berms. Currently there is only 1 in the hallway.

3) The owner needs to supply more outlets in the kitchen as the tenants are using an extension cord and that is against code. One of the outlets houses the carbon monoxide detector and there is no other place to put it limiting the outlets even more. (currently there are (4) duplexes in the kitchen.  IF the tentant is using an extension on one of them why do I need to add an outlet?  IMO i'm providing plenty of outlets for them to use)

4) There needs to be a copper or galvanized steel pressure relief valve blow off pipe on the water heater.

5) The drywall on the ceiling in the utility closet around the duct work for the furnace needs to be repaired.

6) Wasp nest outside back of house in the left corner needs to be taken care of.

7) Check to see if a back flow preventer is built into the hose in the back of the house? If not, there needs to be one installed.

8) The furnace, water heater, gas applicable, and A/C has to be tested and approved by a licensed contractor. The contractor then needs to send a letter to the village stating everything works. 

I understand some of these items are required like the smoke detectors in each room, but things like #3 and #8 surprise me. Please let me know your thoughts.

Thanks,

Ryan

Keywords Schaumburg Illinois IL Cook County

Loading replies...