BiggerPockets

how to talk to ALL potential sellers

31 posts by 13 users

To participate in forum discussions, create a free account or login.

Rod Coleman

Real Estate Investor from Chester, VA

Jul 24 '08, 10:50 PM

Hello, colleagues first and for most i would like to think you for letting me be part of your networks. As an new investor the information i receive from other investors such as yourselves is very valuable to me and others like me. Anywaaaayss lol... ladies and gents, Ive been trying improve my cold call ratio and i need a formula for how talk to a potential seller/ and how finding out if an seller is motivated. i am a new investor as of which i have completed 1 deal and am in the process of completing an second deal, but :violin: for some reason this which i believe its due my mechanics and experienced level when talking to an potential sellers i got of-course get hang ups, and the I'm not selling for no real reason for as long as i live lol...... :protest: no matter how crappy the property is, but then u find a seller who wants to sell, but how do u determine if that seller is motivated from beginning to end. if u guys have any scripts that you can post, that would help us big in getting us going the right direction or anyone :idea: has an proven system that works over and over again it would be a big help in getting us out of this rut and and on our ways to the next level of investing and its glorious challenges :superman:

Thanks Rod
The grasshopper

Edited Jun 26 2010, 05:34

Jason Hanson

Real Estate Coach from Oakton, Virginia

Jul 25 '08, 09:47 PM

Here is how you tell if a seller is motivated:

You have a question form you ask every seller (bedrooms, baths, mortgage balance, etc.) and if they won't answer the questions then they are not motivated.

If someone won't tell me how much they owe on the property, then I know they are not motivated, because motivated people will tell you anything and everything you want to know.

Rod Coleman

Jul 26 '08, 07:43 AM

yeah, but i was thinking more along the lines of after you boil it down and get to the ones that want to sell, how do u convert that want into a need on the sellers part

Jason Cummins

Real Estate Investor from Katy, Texas

Jul 26 '08, 09:49 AM

Quite simply if they are truly motivated to sell, then they will want to sell it to you.

Rod Coleman

Jul 26 '08, 10:12 AM

Ive been reading a lot of sales books that state consistently that u have to lead your prospects to an choice by giving them choices that leads them makes them from emotion to rationalization while at the same time helping cont to an conclusion. now i know some people don't want to sell but in talking about the unsure of the situation so the answer is not that simple. but i also believe that u need to know there motivation but what do u ask that's or how should u say to to keep it from being or feeling threatened.
also if u make cold calls how many do u make and day, and if so how is your % .

Shelly Whitestone

Real Estate Investor from Baltimore, MD

Jul 28 '08, 06:56 AM
2 votes

One of the best ways to find out if a seller is motivated or not is to get them to call you. I never, ever, ever call a potential seller...they always call me. How do I do this? Killer marketing skills!

Since I can't advertise an sites or anything on here, feel free to contact me privately and I will be happy to give you some info on where you can get amazing info on marketing to potential sellers.

This goes for anybody on the forum...I'll be happy to share...just don't want to get in any trouble for doing so. :lol:

Edited Jun 26 2010, 05:35

Jon Holdman Moderator

SFR Investor from Wheat Ridge, Colorado

Jul 28 '08, 07:35 AM

Please feel free to share you methods and techniques here. You shouldn't run afoul of the " no advertising" rules if you're describing your systems.

Jon Holdman, Flying Phoenix LLC

Nicole Starnes

Real Estate Investor from Aberdeen, North Carolina

Jul 29 '08, 04:43 AM

Now, I am in no way experienced, but I've been doing some serious learning. One way that I've heard to weed out motivated sellers from no so motivated sellers is to ask them WHY they're selling. If they're like " well, I'm moving down the street" or some matter-of-fact reason then they're not motivated. If they give you a more indefinate answer like " I'm moving out of state and selling this house is the last thing I need to do...I just want to get rid of it" , then you know they're a little more motivated than the average seller. I think the biggest key is listening.

Jeff Fairchild

Real Estate Investor from Vancouver, Washington

Jul 30 '08, 05:03 AM

Guys,

Can you remember back to when when you guys first started investing? Do you really think just responding with " Just figure out if they are motivated" would give you the answer you need? He said he would prefer an exact script. I also am looking for an exact script, and for some reason no one has taken the time to provide one in any of the posts in the forums. Yes, it takes a little bit of time to type it out, but if you are on here to try to help other people, isn't that a good use of your time?

I still don't have a perfect script either, seeing as I haven't tested a bunch of techniques, but I think reading this:
http://www.amazon.com/Buying-Real-Estate-Without-Credit/dp/0471728314
should get you on the right track. There is a chapter on what to sell to sellers on the phone, as well as what to say when you get to their house.

Edited Jun 26 2010, 05:36

Jon Holdman Moderator

SFR Investor from Wheat Ridge, Colorado

Jul 30 '08, 05:15 AM

First, I don't have any exact script I could type out.

I have been to a number of guru pitches (i.e., the one hour talks they give where they talk about their product), where the speaker says " buy my course, it has a script of what to say on the phone." If that's what you're looking for, you might just have to break down and buy someone's home study course.

But, do you really think this works? I mean, you're talking to a real person. They're going to wander all over the place. Who knows what they will say or ask. Plus, I'm sure you've had a phone call from some telemarketer who's working off a script. Its pretty obvious they're just following an outline, and asking you very specific questions so you don't wander off the rails and get them confused. They sound like idiots. Would you sell you house to someone who sounded like this?

Jon Holdman, Flying Phoenix LLC

Rod Coleman

Jul 30 '08, 08:11 AM

How to Talk to Banks and Homeowners with Bill Twyford does anyone have this product, its suppose to be good its supose to be a good tool for your tool box

Dave P.

Real Estate Consultant from

Jul 30 '08, 08:29 AM
1 vote

I also am looking for an exact script

When talking to prospects I too am looking for motivation. The way to find motivation is to find a problem. If the problem is big enough, then you know you have opportunity.

I agree with Wheatie that scripts sound scripted. However, there is nothing wrong with continuously rehearsing a conversation that you are bound to have hundreds of times throughout your investing career. Call it a script or call it preparation, but I see it as essential preparation for communicating with prospects.

Here is an old realtor " for sale by owner" script that has done me very well over the years. It definitely is not set in stone and is only effective when it is a natural conversation. If you think about it, a FSBO is really the same as an investor script. The purpose of both is to seek truly motivated parties. Tweak to fit your circumstance. The structure gives a brief intro that serves only as a lead in to ask questions. The sole purpose of the questions is to find problems. All potential problems are questioned to gauge severity.

Agent: Mr. Seller, I call all for sale by owners knowing that when they fail to sell their homes, they will interview real estate agents for the job of selling their home...and I was wondering, when do you plan on interviewing agents....?

FSBO: I'm not interested.

Agent: I understand, other than the fees, is there any other reason why decided to sell on your own?

FSBO: nope, it's just the fees.

Agent: Well let me ask you this, why did you decide to sell the home?

How long have you lived there?

Did you enjoy living there?

How did you select that neighborhood?

etc...

I could go on for hours with the question asking and that is where the motivation question will get answered. At some point the seller will say something that is " painful" to them. Divorce, illness, financial trouble, loneliness, job transfer, spousal dispute, empty-nesters, house too small, house to big, etc... OR, they will find a way to get off the phone. If they aren't motivated it's no big deal, just talk to someone else.

In addition, you will know the problem that needs to be solved in order for your deal to work. Obviously, you will not be able to solve the actual problem, you can only potentially solve the real estate portion of the problem. The real estate portion of the problem is quite often a major hurdle to the ultimate problem getting solved. Master the art of asking questions and opportunity will present itself.

hope this helps.

Rod Coleman

Sep 16 '08, 02:42 AM

Those are great rebuttals that's just want I'm looking for, not to make them but to help them realize that selling is something they should consider, and granted that may not want to sell but,
most of them time they just dont know what to do and it is our job to lead them to that end conclusion. not to force like some have suggested i was asking but if done correctly they well at least think about and that is the goal so when you or i decided to go back and touch base with them in a month
1 you have built a re pore with the seller
2 they have been thing about the conversation or the issues of holding on to the property
3 they also have been thinking about the benefit of selling the property

the end result is a better fellow up and increased chances of getting a deal and at fairly good price, because u have helped their motivation, by letting them tell you the reasons why they should sell

such as:
Tax payments
loan payments
up keep
distance if there out of town
etc.

now anymore ideas on how to get the seller to loosen up more

Edited Jun 26 2010, 05:55

Dave P.

Real Estate Consultant from

Sep 16 '08, 03:34 AM

Rod,

They will only loosen up through trust.

Those are great rebuttals

Not to be picky, but you don't want rebuttals, you want an understanding of their problem.

The greatest sales lesson I ever learned is the most simple. It is a commitments that I will never propose a solution to someone's problem until I fully understand the problem.

As an investor, you can make money by solving problems. As a salesperson, you can make money by solving problems. I make a living helping people sell their houses through short sales. At every appt I go on, I have to remind myself that this is the first time that the prospect has gone through this, even though I have been through this same meeting hundreds of times.

Be patient. Be understanding. Solve problems.

Get paid.

I truly respect your apparent desire to learn the sales process, that's what it all really boils down to.

Edited Jun 26 2010, 05:55 by Dave P.

Adam Kruse

Residential Real Estate Broker from St. Louis, Alabama

Sep 16 '08, 05:00 AM

Jason I think your point about them answering all of your questions is a good one. If they are trying to negotiate and fumble around then you probably wont get the best deal.

Edited Jun 26 2010, 05:55

Rita Temple

Sacramento, California

Oct 01 '08, 02:56 AM
2 votes

Being a good listener is a key point I think and from there if you pick up on a little motivation factor, just repeat what they said, and then ask 'why' 'when' and 'where' questions to get them to open up. The point of reiterating by repeating just sets in stone that they are calling for a reason. Cementing that they are indeed motivated. For instance.. Seller: "I'm moving to take care of my mom". you: "So, its very important for you to move closer to her to help her?' Seller: "I have been wanting to do that for awhile" you: "You have been thinking about it for a long time then, huh?' It makes it seem like YOU are listening and are on the same wave length, and you are letting them hear that and stiring up those emotions they are going though a little.

Edited Jun 26 2010, 06:02

Donte Mazyck

Real Estate Investor from Charlotte, North Carolina

Oct 01 '08, 05:40 AM

Great point Rita.

Edited Jun 26 2010, 06:03

Account Closed

Chicago, Illinois

Jun 14, 01:15 PM

Be careful of the advice Bill and Dawn Twyford (investor's Edge University) give you. I bought a $10,000 mentorship program from them and got bad advice, some of which would have landed me in jail. They have numerous complaints online from people they ripped off, just like me. In addition, their advice is sometimes ridiculous - e.g. when negotiating with the banks around a short sales threaten the banker and play all types of manipulative games that most people in the industry laughed at, stating it would sever any type of future relationship with that bank / banker and kill any sale. In addition, they promote double closing which is illegal in Illinois and a bunch of other nonsense. In addition, they are fraudulent and did not following up on any of their mentorship and refusing to refund my money. Please google their name before moving forward.

Matt Redden

Greenville, North Carolina

Jun 14, 01:41 PM

Hey look guys I'm still new to REI but have been in sales for quite a while. I mean really all of us sale something each day. OURSELVES!! The best tool I found for finding if a seller is motivated is rapport. I love getting on the phone or my preference is being in person and finding out about the potential seller. Asking questions like if they have a family, what's their occupation, what do they do for fun...etc. These are all key points that will lead to why they want to sell. If you truly listen and are genuine, most folks will open up like a book. My philosophy is everyone has a story that wants to be heard.

P.S. Laughter is key. If you can make a person laugh within 10 minutes of meeting them, usually you create a strong bond.

(Don't Want to See This? Log in or Create a Free BiggerPockets.com Account!)

Ubg-book

Get the Free eBook from BiggerPockets

Get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks, and techniques delivered straight to your inbox weekly!

• Actionable Advice for Getting Started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more!

We hate spam just as much as you

To post a reply or start a new discussion, create a free account or login.

Manage Keyword Alerts

View All Forums