BiggerPockets

Yellow Letters Examples?

Forum Powered By:

12 posts by 12 users

To participate in forum discussions, create a free account or login.

Jimmy Farag

Houston, Texas

May 08 '09, 05:53 AM

Hi all,

I was trying to find some yellow letters examples and the one I found says: "My name is XX, me and my husband XX, are interested to buy your house, please contact us at ...."

I didn't like this one much. I am thinking from the seller's point of view, that a couple is interested in buying the house and he calls, he finds an investor and/or realtor. Am i making sense here?

Anyone is using the above example? any success with it? Thoughts? Other examples?

Thank y'all

Edited Jun 26 2010, 08:10

James M.

Homeowner from Carrollton , Alabama

May 11 '09, 05:15 AM

The letter is alright, but I think it could be improved on. Unfortunately, there is no "magic bullet" for the perfect yellow letter; you need to test and track different letters for their success rates.

If you want some more examples, you may find a few here:

http://images.google.com/images?hl=en&q=yellow+letter&btnG=Search+Images&gbv=2

Gotta love Google Images :). Good luck.

Edited Jun 26 2010, 08:11

Tony Severino

Real Estate Coach from Highland, Indiana

May 28 '09, 07:47 AM
2 votes

Jimmy

We use that very same format that you mentioned. We get about a 21% response rate...

There is a difference between a seller who wants to sell and a seller who needs to sell.

Most of the callers will be a waste of time, however you will hit a home run every now and then.

We do a lot of marketing to expired listings, and on average we have to send 248 yellow letters to get 1 contract. It costs about 60 cents for a yellow letter,,, so I am spending about 150 bucks to get a house.. I can take that return on the 150 bucks...

Hope that helps.

Tony Severino

Edited Jun 26 2010, 08:22

Matthew Mucker

Ft. Worth, Texas

Jun 07 '09, 09:03 AM

Tony,

Thank you for sharing hard numbers with the forum. That really helps us newbies put things into perspective. I have two questions:

1) How many times are you mailing the same owner on the same property?

2) How are you producing the letters? Handwritten? Laser printer with colored toner? Outsourcing?

Thanks again for sharing!

-Matthew

Edited Jun 26 2010, 08:28

Tracy Caywood

Real Estate Investor from Jacksonville Beach , Florida

Nov 23 '09, 07:55 AM
3 votes

I wanted to give a quick reply in response to the question about the message on the yellow letter. It has been tested, tracked, and PROVEN that the "Hi, My name is Tracy. My husband Dan and I would like to $BUY$ your house at 123 Main St" is the best message for getting a high response rate.

Don't try to reinvent the wheel. Just go with it!! :-)

Edited Jun 26 2010, 10:37

Jesse R

Rehabber from El Paso, Texas

Nov 23 '09, 12:06 PM

Interesting. I wonder if the sellers can go after the buyers for deceptive sales tactics.
Anyone have any insight into the matter?

I don't see this letter/practice affecting buy and hold or rehab investors, but do see a problem with this technique as a wholesaler.
Please advise

Edited Jun 26 2010, 10:37 by Jesse R

Bryan Hancock

Real Estate Investor from Round Rock, Texas

May 29 '10, 10:06 PM
1 vote

Originally posted by Tony Severino:
Jimmy

We use that very same format that you mentioned. We get about a 21% response rate...

There is a difference between a seller who wants to sell and a seller who needs to sell.

Most of the callers will be a waste of time, however you will hit a home run every now and then.

We do a lot of marketing to expired listings, and on average we have to send 248 yellow letters to get 1 contract. It costs about 60 cents for a yellow letter,,, so I am spending about 150 bucks to get a house.. I can take that return on the 150 bucks...

Hope that helps.

Tony Severino

A 21% response rate is terrific! We average around 14%.

Edited Jun 26 2010, 13:00

Medium_inner10_logo__updated_Bryan Hancock, Inner 10 Capital
E-Mail: [email protected]
Telephone: 1-800-577-0401
Our Recent Austin Business Journal Article - http://tinyurl.com/Inner10Capital

Brooks Conkle

Real Estate Investor from Mobile, Alabama

Oct 20 '10, 01:20 AM

We are interested in creating our letter that's general so that we can send it to people in foreclosure, probate people, absentee owners etc.

My thought is that if I just say that ''Hello, We buy houses and that we're investors" that these people can connect the dots if they have a house for sale and they will call.

Do you know if call rates are better if the letter is specific in nature? i.e. "Hi John, I want to buy your house at 123 Main St."

I'm thinking that if we use the former that this will yield more motivated sellers rather than just curious callers.

Any feedback on this guys?

Becky Watkins

Accountant from Seattle, Washington

Jun 26 '11, 10:12 AM

Hi I've been using a letter that is just written by one person, but do you guys seem to get a better response by including your spouse's name?

Jesse (or anyone), what is deceptive about yellow letters?

Updated: 11:09AM, 06/26/2011

Also, I wish I had 21% or 14% success. So far I've gotten 2 callbacks from 60 letters, both of which I missed and left a message for. I believe that's 1.5% response (0% deals). I'll keep on keeping on though.

Edited Jun 26 2011, 11:09

David Tower

Real Estate Investor from Keller, Texas

Jun 30 '11, 01:21 AM

Also, do people include their squeeze page URL on their yellow letters?

thanks

Todd Brittingham

Real Estate Investor from White Lake, Michigan

Jun 30 '11, 02:00 AM
1 vote

We've found a few things in our letter campaigns that seem to increase the response rate:

1. Keep the message short and sweet. Don't lie about your situation, but don't give all the details either. A simple message stating your name and that you are interested in purchasing their property will suffice (similar to what is above). This will leave them intrigued and may get them to call where you can explain the situation that you are an investor.

2. We have tested several different ways of sending...from me, from my wife, and from both of us. By a good margin the best response we get is when the letters come from my wife. I think it's probably just less intimidating for a homeowner to call a woman back than a man.

3. Hand write the letters or pay to have them hand written.

4. Hand write the envelopes or pay to have them hand written.

5. Include a return address.

6. Use decorative stamps rather than just a standard stamp.

Essentially, you are trying to build intrigue with the homeowner to get them to open the piece of mail rather than throwing it in the circular file...this is the reason for the decorative stamp, handwritten address and return address. Then you want to keep them intrigued with your vague message. All of this adds up to a better response rate and more calls.

Now, like Tony said above, most of the calls you receive will be a waste of time, but it's a numbers game, and if done consistently you will get deals.

Darieal S.

Homeowner from Philadelphia, Pennsylvania

Feb 20 '12, 10:51 AM

I liked information given in this post although I don't understand the tracking method. Are you just giving a certain time frame for the letters that you are sending (3 - 6 month).

What is the tracking method used?

(Don't Want to See This? Log in or Create a Free BiggerPockets.com Account!)

Ubg-book

Get the Free eBook from BiggerPockets

Get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks, and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable Advice for Getting Started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more!

We hate spam just as much as you

To post a reply or start a new discussion, create a free account or login.

Manage Keyword Alerts

View All Forums