Skip to content
Pro Members Get Full Access
Succeed in real estate investing with proven toolkits that have helped thousands of aspiring and existing investors achieve financial freedom.
$0 TODAY
$32.50/month, billed annually after your 7-day trial.
Cancel anytime
Find the right properties and ace your analysis
Market Finder with key investor metrics for all US markets, plus a list of recommended markets.
Deal Finder with investor-focused filters and notifications for new properties
Unlimited access to 9+ rental analysis calculators and rent estimator tools
Off-market deal finding software from Invelo ($638 value)
Supercharge your network
Pro profile badge
Pro exclusive community forums and threads
Build your landlord command center
All-in-one property management software from RentRedi ($240 value)
Portfolio monitoring and accounting from Stessa
Lawyer-approved lease agreement packages for all 50-states ($4,950 value) *annual subscribers only
Shortcut the learning curve
Live Q&A sessions with experts
Webinar replay archive
50% off investing courses ($290 value)
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 3 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
Marketing Your Property
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Nicholas D'Andrea
  • Accountant
  • Philadelphia
Votes |
Rental Posting - Not many leads

Nicholas D'Andrea
  • Accountant
  • Philadelphia
Posted Apr 22 2024, 07:28

Hi BP Community,

I posted my rental 13 days ago and have not had many serious candidates. Unless hiring a listing agent, any ways to boost my leads? I posted on Zillow, Trulia, Hotpads and Apartments.com. I will be posting on FB Marketplace later today.

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/2232-Manton-St-Philadelph...

Much appreciated. 

Nick

User Stats

Votes
Diego A.
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Flower Mound, TX
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Flower Mound, TX
Replied Apr 22 2024, 07:47

Hi Nicholas,

It is common in most market not to get a lot of leads, mainly when the price is high, but it takes around 2 weeks to a month to really find the right person.

Make sure that you are in the ranges that other rental properties are in your area.

User Stats

Votes
Stuart Udis
Pro Member
  • Attorney
  • Philadelphia
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Attorney
  • Philadelphia
Replied Apr 23 2024, 02:29

@Nicholas D'Andrea I am not too familiar with the Point Breeze market but it appears the home you are trying to rent, 2232 Manton Street is a 1,060 SF 3 Bed 2 Bath home & is on the market for $2,900. Meanwhile, 2212 Manton Street which is a 4 bed 3 bath home and 1800 SF above ground with a finished basement (2400 SF total livable SF) was leased  in March for $2,925. I didn't conduct a deep dive in to the neighborhood comps but this initial observation points to a pricing issue. Perhaps someone with more knowledge on the neighborhood rental rates can chime in. From my experience, if your rental is priced correctly, is listed on zillow and you are responsive to inquiries with the ability to show the property hiring a real estate agent is not necessary. 

Hemlane logo
Hemlane
|
Sponsored
The future of property management is here! Automate rent, repairs, and listings & get 70% more free time back in your life!

User Stats

Votes
Nicholas D'Andrea
  • Accountant
  • Philadelphia
Votes |
  • Accountant
  • Philadelphia
Replied Apr 23 2024, 07:50

Its definitely priced higher, but I tend to weed out weak applicants. My other rental people ask for a lower price and I meet in the middle. But who am I to say. 

User Stats

Votes
Alyssa Wright
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Pittsburgh, PA
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Pittsburgh, PA
Replied Apr 23 2024, 08:07

The photos look amazing, which is great cause that's the first thing people see! My recommendations would be to re-evaluate the price point and make sure it matches other properties nearby. There's also a few things you could do to try and improve the description itself. I've found that adding local neighborhoods and roadways and giving a brief overview of requirements/availability can really help attract people to a listing. Maybe try a few different description formats across your listing sites and see if a certain type gets you any additional leads?  

User Stats

Votes
Stuart Udis
Pro Member
  • Attorney
  • Philadelphia
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Attorney
  • Philadelphia
Replied Apr 23 2024, 08:09

@Nicholas D'Andrea I have to say, this is the first I have heard of such a strategy. You are weeding out the good applicants, not the weak applicants. You should re-think your marketing strategy. I rarely negotiate on lease terms with my tenants, and any concessions are going to be tied to lengthier leases. When I ask fair market value I tend to receive it. Again I can't say what is fair market for your home, but I would imagine if you are priced correctly you will receive inquiries from good prospects. Right now, the good prospects are dismissing your home because it's over priced. 

User Stats

Votes
Alecia Loveless
Pro Member
Votes |
Pro Member
Replied Apr 23 2024, 18:46

@Nicholas D'Andrea I use Facebook Marketplace and generate a ton of inquiries. However expect a significant decrease in the number of people that follow through and even less that will come to look at it.

Recently my market has gotten much looser with more rentals being available. I’ve been trying to rent a 1/1 for about 1.5 months but I expect a premium price because it’s a gorgeous apartment and the other tenants are paying a lot.

You can likely expect the rental process to take longer than it did even just 3-4 months ago.

I’d stay the course especially if it’s a nice unit. I’d rather get the right tenants who want and appreciate the unit as opposed to lowering the price and just getting any Tom, Dick, or Harry.

User Stats

Votes
Ryan Bakerian
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Albany, NY
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Albany, NY
Replied Apr 28 2024, 05:59
Quote from @Alecia Loveless:

@Nicholas D'Andrea I use Facebook Marketplace and generate a ton of inquiries. However expect a significant decrease in the number of people that follow through and even less that will come to look at it.

Recently my market has gotten much looser with more rentals being available. I’ve been trying to rent a 1/1 for about 1.5 months but I expect a premium price because it’s a gorgeous apartment and the other tenants are paying a lot.

You can likely expect the rental process to take longer than it did even just 3-4 months ago.

I’d stay the course especially if it’s a nice unit. I’d rather get the right tenants who want and appreciate the unit as opposed to lowering the price and just getting any Tom, Dick, or Harry.

I also recently listed an apartment on Facebook. The amount of unqualified, or people who don't even bother to read the ad is insane. I think they just hit every is this available button hoping that someone bites. Most have pets, I say no pets.. most have them smoking weed in their profiles and my listings say no smoking. It's insane. Facebook is the new craigslist. 

User Stats

Votes
Cathy B.
  • Architect
  • Portland, OR
Votes |
  • Architect
  • Portland, OR
Replied Apr 28 2024, 09:49

Nicholas,

Its a beautiful property. 

Only minor thing I would clarify is that your listing says there is off street parking but it is not apparent from the photos, nor mentioned in the description.  If this is an amenity, consider elaborating on the number of spaces and/or the proximity to the property either in the description or a photo.

Another thing I noticed with Zillow is that when you list your price as 2850, it rounds up on the Zillow map to 2900.  If you list it as 2849, it would round down to 2800 on the map, possibly drawing more views.

Good luck!

-Cathy

User Stats

Votes
Chloe Brown
Property Manager
  • Property Manager
  • San Diego
Votes |
Property Manager
  • Property Manager
  • San Diego
Replied May 2 2024, 18:07

@Nicholas D'Andrea! I second what many people have already said. The listing and the photos looks great and you are posting on all the top sites.

I would recommend reevaluating the price to see if a price adjustment will drive traffic as well as consider posting to a site like Facebook Marketplace.

I know that our market in San Diego is different than where you are located, but we are seeing it takes approximately 23 days for a property to be leased.