Renter Questions for Alameda (CA) Landlords and Locals

Renter Questions for Alameda (CA) Landlords and Locals

San Francisco, CA · Member since 2017 · 27 posts · 15 votes

Hey Alameda BPers,

I'm looking to get more knowledge of rental rates and rules in Alameda. I was wondering if anyone could point me in the right direction to learn the following:

1. Rental Market Competitiveness

  • How do you determine how much excess demand, aka renter competition, there may be in a given location? Is this something I need to call around with property managers and listing owners to get a sense of?
  • I know market comps and historical trends based on online information (Zillow, Craigslist, Rentometer, Rentjungle), but unsure if properties would be filled quickly at the listed market rates
  • How to measure demand for single family house leases vs apartment unit leases? Is this something I need to talk to local owners and property managers about?

2. Rent Control Rules

  • Does Costa-Hawkins apply in Alameda city? If I'm an owner occupant of a SFR or a residential MF, would that allow me to circumvent rent control regulations and forego the need to get city approval for any rent increases >5%?
  • Reference link: http://www.alamedarentprogram.org/rent-increases-a...

Furthermore, if there are any other Alameda natives and/or owners, I'd love to get in touch and talk about our market. Many thanks in advance!

0Reply
12 views

No replies yet. Be the first to reply to this discussion.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.