From the BiggerPockets Blog

BiggerPockets Blog »

Jump to Forum View All

Click a category below to view different forum categories.

BiggerPockets

General Info

BiggerPockets Q&A, Site Questions, & Announcements

1519 topics, 14414 posts — Last Post 04/20/14, 02:59AM

BiggerPockets Exclusive PRO Area

117 topics, 839 posts — Last Post 04/18/14, 05:47AM

New Member Introductions

10896 topics, 85721 posts — Last Post 04/20/14, 06:21AM

Real Estate Success Stories

396 topics, 6161 posts — Last Post 04/19/14, 05:20PM

General Real Estate

General Real Estate

Buying & Selling Real Estate

5943 topics, 46834 posts — Last Post 04/20/14, 06:16AM

Renters

643 topics, 5817 posts — Last Post 04/19/14, 09:29AM

Get Foreclosure Help - Help Stop Foreclosure Forum

316 topics, 2557 posts — Last Post 04/16/14, 03:58AM

Home Owner Association (HOA) Issues & Problems Forum

237 topics, 1609 posts — Last Post 04/17/14, 08:53AM

Do it Yourself

657 topics, 6278 posts — Last Post 04/20/14, 05:52AM

Reviews & Feedback

Real Estate Deal Analysis and Advice

3683 topics, 29533 posts — Last Post 04/20/14, 06:16AM

Real Estate Guru, Book & Course Reviews and Discussions

1133 topics, 11562 posts — Last Post 04/19/14, 12:17PM

Ask About A Real Estate Company

741 topics, 7323 posts — Last Post 04/19/14, 10:36PM

Real Estate Investing

Real Estate Strategies

Wholesaling

5606 topics, 43758 posts — Last Post 04/20/14, 05:18AM

Rehabbing and House Flipping

3334 topics, 31005 posts — Last Post 04/20/14, 06:08AM

Real Estate Development & New Home Construction

553 topics, 4685 posts — Last Post 04/19/14, 06:13PM

Innovative Strategies

703 topics, 6027 posts — Last Post 04/18/14, 08:48AM

Tax Liens, Notes, Paper, & Cash Flows Discussion

866 topics, 6678 posts — Last Post 04/19/14, 06:06AM

Rent to Own a.k.a. Lease Purchase, Lease Options

693 topics, 4902 posts — Last Post 04/19/14, 04:53PM

1031 Exchanges

143 topics, 1054 posts — Last Post 04/18/14, 08:41AM

Foreclosure Investing

General Foreclosure & Pre-Foreclosure Forums

1687 topics, 11292 posts — Last Post 04/20/14, 12:14AM

HUD, VA, and Tax Sales

415 topics, 3097 posts — Last Post 04/19/14, 10:19PM

REOs

1214 topics, 10578 posts — Last Post 04/20/14, 12:34AM

Short Sales

1534 topics, 13120 posts — Last Post 04/17/14, 04:44PM

Landlord & Tenant Forums

Landlord & Rental Property Questions

7207 topics, 70780 posts — Last Post 04/20/14, 06:00AM

Mobile Homes & Mobile Home Park Investing

638 topics, 5141 posts — Last Post 04/19/14, 09:49AM

Investor Basics

Starting Out

7706 topics, 60502 posts — Last Post 04/20/14, 05:08AM

Investor Psychology

431 topics, 6107 posts — Last Post 04/20/14, 06:04AM

General Real Estate Investing

4718 topics, 37215 posts — Last Post 04/20/14, 04:23AM

Real Estate Investor Marketing

1731 topics, 14094 posts — Last Post 04/19/14, 06:39AM

Commercial Real Estate

Commercial Real Estate Investing Forum

1410 topics, 8994 posts — Last Post 04/19/14, 04:34PM

Multi-Family and Apartment Investing

1109 topics, 9239 posts — Last Post 04/19/14, 07:12PM

The Business of Real Estate

Real Estate Technology and the Internet

Real Estate Technology, Social Media & Blogging

641 topics, 4896 posts — Last Post 04/20/14, 04:48AM

Business Basics

Goals, Business Plans & Entities

831 topics, 7562 posts — Last Post 04/18/14, 04:25PM

Real Estate Finance & Legal

Financial, Tax, and Legal

Tax, Legal Issues, Contracts, Self-Directed IRA

2788 topics, 20023 posts — Last Post 04/20/14, 01:26AM

Property Insurance

309 topics, 2045 posts — Last Post 04/17/14, 07:41PM

Personal Finance Discussion

328 topics, 2732 posts — Last Post 04/19/14, 06:57PM

Loans, Mortgages, Credit Lines

Private & Conventional Lending Discussion

2835 topics, 19704 posts — Last Post 04/20/14, 06:05AM

Creative Real Estate Financing

1210 topics, 8771 posts — Last Post 04/19/14, 08:28PM

Crowdfunding Real Estate

35 topics, 463 posts — Last Post 04/19/14, 06:24PM

Real Estate Professionals

Real Estate Professionals

Real Estate Agents

1211 topics, 7995 posts — Last Post 04/19/14, 08:09PM

Bankers, Lenders, and Mortgage Brokers

442 topics, 1924 posts — Last Post 04/19/14, 07:27PM

Contractors

269 topics, 1681 posts — Last Post 04/20/14, 04:59AM

Local Real Estate

Local Real Estate

Local Real Estate Networking & Recommendations

1990 topics, 11614 posts — Last Post 04/19/14, 07:40PM

Americans & International Real Estate

161 topics, 566 posts — Last Post 04/14/14, 11:19AM

Foreigners Buying in the USA

62 topics, 409 posts — Last Post 04/10/14, 06:27AM

Canadian Real Estate

64 topics, 428 posts — Last Post 04/18/14, 04:22AM

Marketplace

Real Estate Marketplace

Real Estate Marketplace

15021 topics, 53962 posts — Last Post 04/20/14, 05:42AM

Real Estate Events and Happenings

164 topics, 2515 posts — Last Post 04/19/14, 07:29PM

Off-Topic

Off Topic

Off-Topic

2905 topics, 32411 posts — Last Post 04/19/14, 08:03AM

Housing News & Real Estate Market

914 topics, 8351 posts — Last Post 04/17/14, 08:41AM

BiggerPockets Real Estate Investing Summit

97 topics, 1751 posts — Last Post 04/10/14, 02:27PM

BiggerPockets Resources

Forums » Short Sales » Short sale - second bank dragging feet

Short sale - second bank dragging feet

14 posts by 6 users

Signup

I've been waiting on a short sale as a buyer for the last 5.5 months.

The home has two mortgages.

The first bank approved my offer, and is offering the second bank, Chase, $5K to buy them out. The second bank has not even countered the first - instead they continue to put the owners through the ringer. They have asked for every bit of financial information dating back 2 years including their 401K's. This has gone on for two months now.

Has anyone had any experience with Chase? What do you think their strategy is here? It looks to me like they are building a case to possibly sue these owners for the outstanding. My thoughts are this should be separate from the short sale approval, since they can sue anytime.

What benefit would Chase have to not approve this short sale? I would think if this goes to foreclosure, Chase would get nothing, since the house would sell for less than what is owed on the first. At least with this short sale they get the $5K payout from the first and any incentives the government provides. The only think I can think of is them not wanting to take the loss on thier books now.

Does anyone have any idea what's going on? Do you think I have a chance of this coming through? Should I continue to wait?

Real Estate Investor · Audubon, Pennsylvania

Originally posted by boombyea:
... The second bank has not even countered the first - instead they continue to put the owners through the ringer. They have asked for every bit of financial information dating back 2 years including their 401K's. This has gone on for two months now.

Has anyone had any experience with Chase? What do you think their strategy is here? It looks to me like they are building a case to possibly sue these owners for the outstanding. My thoughts are this should be separate from the short sale approval, since they can sue anytime.

Although it might be true that the lawsuit for recovering a deficiency can be brought after the sale concludes, the lender has more leverage before approval of the sale. So that way they can force the owners to submit any and all requested paperwork; the lender is hoping for some signs (assets) that indicate whether these owners would be worth pursuing in such a lawsuit.

If the approval happens first, there is no longer any reason for these owners to cooperate ...

The lender might also be looking to get the owners to sign a promissory note to cover part (or all) of the deficiency. The lender might be planning on selling the debt to some debt collection firm. The lender might be hoping the owner dips into the 401K funds.

It's also possible that Chase is not the owner of the note that the mortgage secures; they might be a servicer or trustee, and they might have to get approval from the note owner.

And there are probably lots of possibilities that I haven't even brought up.

Steve Babiak, Redeeming Properties, LLC
Telephone: 6109082183

Rehabber · Tucson, Arizona

There are many variables to consider like which type of loan is the second?

If they are asking for the borrower's financials they are probably investigating to see how much money they can get out of them.

Another variable is which state is the property located. State laws play a major role on what leverage the second might have.

After 5.5 months, you probably have another concern, the agent handling the negotiation does not have the skill and experience to handle this. They should be negotiating both the 1st and 2nd simultaneously.

You might try reading this thread as it might apply to your situation.

http://www.biggerpockets.com/forums/103/topics/41994-1st-accepted-help-with-2nd-

If you want a mediator, hire an RE agent. If you want a negotiator, hire an investor.
Good luck

If the approval happens first, there is no longer any reason for these owners to cooperate ...

Yes, I suspected this as well. I believe now they have pretty much every piece of data they could possibly collect, so hopefully they make their next move now.

Another variable is which state is the property located. State laws play a major role on what leverage the second might have.

This is in Florida. The owners are working with an attorney that specializes in short sales. I have had no opportunity to help with the negotiation.

I read the other thread and didn't know that banks sell their delinquent loans to collectors for 30% of value. This is interesting because this second loan is around $150K and the first bank is only offering $5K. Based on this, there would be no way the second bank would take any less than $50K, and there is no way the first would offer this amount. Is there any way this would play out in my favor? Is this an inevitable foreclosure scenario? Can the 2nd bank still approve the short sale and sell the delinquent loan?

SFR Investor · Wheat Ridge, Colorado

First mortgages might get sold for 30% of their face value. Seconds will change hands for much, much less. They have essentially no value because, as you note, the house is worth less than the balance on the first.

The holder of the second could sell it. Then the new owner would need to approve the short sale.

You don't if you're intending to occupy the property or are an investor. Short sales (and REOs) are an exercise in frustration. I would certainly not have waited five months with only this one deal on the table. Find more houses, make more offers, and you'll eventually find something to buy.

Jon Holdman, Flying Phoenix LLC

I read the other thread and didn't know that banks sell their delinquent loans to collectors for 30% of value. This is interesting because this second loan is around $150K and the first bank is only offering $5K. Based on this, there would be no way the second bank would take any less than $50K, and there is no way the first would offer this amount. Is there any way this would play out in my favor? Is this an inevitable foreclosure scenario? Can the 2nd bank still approve the short sale and sell the delinquent loan?

The reason the lender in second position might get up to 30% is because, in Florida, the lender in second postion can file a deficiency judgment against the borrower for 100% of the principal plus, reasonable attorney's fees, interests, and penalties. Bad debt with a judgment is worth more than unsecured bad debt.

In my experience, when you have a $150K second mortgage, the first should offer at least 10%. In my opinion, the attorney failed to get the normal 10% payoff amount which is a major problem.

The next problem, is their is an attorney involved. Attorney's will generally try to work within the lenders in-house or outside legal department. These things tend to drag out especially when their is an outside attorney involved. As we all know, attorneys bill by the hour. As a result, this thing will likely drag out for months.

My advice: Determine whether or not the seller is willing to come to the table with a cash contribution. There is a very large spread to overcome and they only way I know to fill in the gap is for you or the seller to pay more.

I received an approval letter recently settling a $100K second mortgage for $7.5K in Florida. So, it is possible, but in this case the buyer and the seller had to kick in the difference.

Good Luck!

I thought you could only work through the first bank, unless their loan was 100% satisfied.

What happens if the first bank decides to foreclosure? Doesn't the second bank get wiped out? I suppose they can sue the owners after the fact.

I thought you could only work through the first bank, unless their loan was 100% satisfied.

There are many ways to satisfy the second and you can close that gap. Any deals made should be disclosed on the HUD1.

What happens if the first bank decides to foreclosure? Doesn't the second bank get wiped out? I suppose they can sue the owners after the fact.

The seconds security interest will indeed be wiped out. But, in Florida, as well as many other states, the second lender can file a judgment against the borrower for the loss amount which includes fees, interest, and penalties. Once they have the judgment they can garnish wages. The 1st also can file a judgment as well.

Originally posted by Scott Hubbard:

The seconds security interest will indeed be wiped out. But, in Florida, as well as many other states, the second lender can file a judgment against the borrower for the loss amount which includes fees, interest, and penalties. Once they have the judgment they can garnish wages. The 1st also can file a judgment as well.

So shouldn't this be separate from approving the short sale? In other words they can approve the short sale and still sue.

I understand they are most likely using the short sale approval process to gather as much info to build their case, but after they have everything, I don't see how it is in their interest to not approve the sale, get the $5K from the first plus any incentives the Gov gives, and then sue later. Seems like at the end of the day they'd be $5K (plus Gov incentives) richer to approve vs. going to foreclosure and suing later in both cases.

Sorry, the logic here is a bit frustrating.

Real Estate Investor · Audubon, Pennsylvania

Sorry, the logic here is a bit frustrating.

Only because you're not a bank :D

Steve Babiak, Redeeming Properties, LLC
Telephone: 6109082183

Wanted to give you folks an update... the second bank finally came around after 11 months!!

After digging deeper the realtor found that the owners were still paying the second mortgage (an automated payment). They stopped this and wrote a nasty note to the CEO of Chase and continued to pester the negotiator. The negotiator finally approved the sale after getting us to sign an arms length agreement.

We plan to close this Friday if all goes well. As of now the appraisal and all paperwork look good.

I guess patience and persistence is the key to these deals.

Wanted to give you folks an update... the second bank finally came around after 11 months!!

After digging deeper the realtor found that the owners were still paying the second mortgage (an automated payment). They stopped this and wrote a nasty note to the CEO of Chase and continued to pester the negotiator. The negotiator finally approved the sale after getting us to sign an arms length agreement.

We plan to close this Friday if all goes well. As of now the appraisal and all paperwork look good.

I guess patience and persistence is the key to these deals.

Congratulations

Real Estate Investor · Springfield, Massachusetts

Leave it to the owners to screw themselves further :D

Congratulations indeed...now sell this thing and make a profit!

Private Money Lender · Denver, Colorado

I fund purchases of short sale flips so see deals from various sources. Each deal is unique and subject to the lender and loss mitigators workload, etc. However, from my seeing deals negotiated by various types of players there is no question in my mind - professional full time short sale negotiators deliver a far superior end product (not just to the investor but typically to the homeowner also). You have a very good one responding to you on this thread. 11.5 months paying an attorney hourly? That time frame can happen, but rarely with a professional negotiator. And - OUCH!