Skip to content
Pro Members Get Full Access
Succeed in real estate investing with proven toolkits that have helped thousands of aspiring and existing investors achieve financial freedom.
$0 TODAY
$32.50/month, billed annually after your 7-day trial.
Cancel anytime
Find the right properties and ace your analysis
Market Finder with key investor metrics for all US markets, plus a list of recommended markets.
Deal Finder with investor-focused filters and notifications for new properties
Unlimited access to 9+ rental analysis calculators and rent estimator tools
Off-market deal finding software from Invelo ($638 value)
Supercharge your network
Pro profile badge
Pro exclusive community forums and threads
Build your landlord command center
All-in-one property management software from RentRedi ($240 value)
Portfolio monitoring and accounting from Stessa
Lawyer-approved lease agreement packages for all 50-states ($4,950 value) *annual subscribers only
Shortcut the learning curve
Live Q&A sessions with experts
Webinar replay archive
50% off investing courses ($290 value)
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 3 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
Goals, Business Plans & Entities
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Arlen Chou
  • Investor
  • Los Altos, CA
Votes |
How do you, tax efficently, move money between your REI entities?

Arlen Chou
  • Investor
  • Los Altos, CA
Posted Mar 24 2015, 16:36

Hello All,

I am still a relatively new buy/hold investor, but over the past 2 years I have put together a small portfolio of 13 doors.  Although I am fairly comfortable with the mechanics of buy/hold, I am still trying to figure out the best way to move money between various "internal" entities.  

I am still getting conventional loans that are generated under my name for MFR properties. However, I have placed my properties into an LLC and I have a S-corp to handle management tasks. This seems to be a pretty standard set up on BP. What I am trying to better understand is how money should move between the organizations ESPECIALLY when it comes to tax time.

Currently, it seems that loans from banks need to be generated under my personal name, LLC's are the entity to hold the property, and S-corps are the way to go if you are doing activities like management. I realize that there are on going discussions about taking the personal loan (HELOC or otherwise) and then transferring the property at a later point to the LLC. Assuming that I don't want to take the risk of the bank activating the "due on sales" clause, and I keep the loan in my name, but the property in the LLC, what is the most tax effective way to move money around these entities? Do you just call the initial money to buy the property "capital investment" and just leave it in the LLC?

I am assuming that the tenants should write checks out every month in the name of the LLC. Additionally, since the loan is in my name, the banks will send out the interest payment info out with my name on it at tax time. This leaves me with a situation where the income is going to one place, but the tax benefits are going to another. I am trying to figure out this dilemma.

As for getting money into the S-corp, I am assuming that either the LLC or I personally should be "paying" for services based upon some simple contract.

Any insight would be greatly appreciated!

-Arlen

Loading replies...