Skip to content
Pro Members Get Full Access
Succeed in real estate investing with proven toolkits that have helped thousands of aspiring and existing investors achieve financial freedom.
$0 TODAY
$32.50/month, billed annually after your 7-day trial.
Cancel anytime
Find the right properties and ace your analysis
Market Finder with key investor metrics for all US markets, plus a list of recommended markets.
Deal Finder with investor-focused filters and notifications for new properties
Unlimited access to 9+ rental analysis calculators and rent estimator tools
Off-market deal finding software from Invelo ($638 value)
Supercharge your network
Pro profile badge
Pro exclusive community forums and threads
Build your landlord command center
All-in-one property management software from RentRedi ($240 value)
Portfolio monitoring and accounting from Stessa
Lawyer-approved lease agreement packages for all 50-states ($4,950 value) *annual subscribers only
Shortcut the learning curve
Live Q&A sessions with experts
Webinar replay archive
50% off investing courses ($290 value)
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 3 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
Starting Out
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
John Bachmann
  • Schenectady, NY
Votes |
Obtaining a fixed loan on minimum wage? Can it be done?

John Bachmann
  • Schenectady, NY
Posted Apr 18 2015, 10:09

I'm 23 years old and currently living with my parents working odd jobs, have an associates degree (in liberal studies.. yay), 0 debt and perfect credit. I've always wanted to get involved in real estate and would like to try making a living as a landlord. It seems to be a desirable path, especially with long-term loan rates being 3-4%, and with the inflation of the dollar it seems like a good idea to take on fixed, manageable debt..

Anyway, I have about $15k in cash saved and would like to travel and look up different cities that seem to have a healthy pulse to them, currently looking at Indianapolis as an example. What I want to know is, if I move there and get myself an established job history, with a 20% down payment and a proven income of ~$1200/mo, is it likely I could be approved for a 15yr loan?

Keep in mind I don't want to work minimum wage forever, my thinking is if the economy tanks (who knows what's going to happen in the next few decades - the length my loan would be) then I'll be able to cover payments no matter what, because minimum wage jobs are the least scarce jobs out there. If I can do that and establish myself with real estate and start generating cash flow, THEN I'd be comfortable with more traditional methods of leverage, however to start out I really don't want there to be any snags.

I'm looking at a place like this:

http://www.realtor.com/realestateandhomes-detail/6...

Looks like a B average neighborhood?

Assume the location and everything else is ideal, just for example.. if Realtor.com's numbers are accurate then a 15yr loan (they include prop. tax, insurance, and HOA) would be $524 a month. Min wage nets at least $1000 per month, this seems enough to cover the loan as well as utilities and other things. I don't plan on owning a car and already live very frugally/boring. Naturally I'd also be renting the house out, but I'd like to be able to cover all costs myself to keep this plan concrete.

Any thoughts? Am I crazy for wanting to do this? I realize it's a long-term commitment at first and I'm okay with that. I'd also be working at getting a better job (thinking of taking on an apprenticeship), I'm just curious if this min. wage theory can work and would like to establish myself in a town I like first, rather than having my career dictate where I live. Any criticisms would be very appreciated. Thank you!

Loading replies...