Skip to content
Real Estate Agent

User Stats

Votes
Kyle Kelley
  • Investor
  • Hawthorne, CA
Votes |
Real Estate License from Out of State? Possible?

Kyle Kelley
  • Investor
  • Hawthorne, CA
Posted Aug 22 2014, 18:59

I was wondering if its possible to get a real estate license in a different state from where I live?

I live in California, but most if not all of my properties are going to be located in Ohio. Can I take classes and exams online to apply for a RE license in Ohio while not having one in CA?

User Stats

Votes
Kyle Kelley
  • Investor
  • Hawthorne, CA
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Hawthorne, CA
Replied Aug 22 2014, 19:11

Basically do I have to have residency in the state that I am seeking to obtain a license?

User Stats

Votes
Cierra Seay
  • Residential Real Estate Agent
  • Eastpointe, MI
Votes |
  • Eastpointe, MI
Replied Aug 23 2014, 05:52

Hi @Kyle Kelley you do not have to be a resident of the state you're licensed in you just have to meet their requirements to become licensed. Every state has different requirements some are  a little more difficult and take more time to be licensed. There are also states where if you're licensed in that state another state will recognize the license in their state as well. You just have to research the requirements of where you're looking to be licensed. Hope this helps !

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Kyle Kelley
  • Investor
  • Hawthorne, CA
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Hawthorne, CA
Replied Aug 23 2014, 07:22

Thank you @Cierra Seay 

I am trying to figure out the best way to go about getting/potentially getting a license in Ohio even though I do not live there. I've noticed they have some reciprocal states but I am not in one of those either. 

So my thinking is that I would have to get certification/licensure from an online program for a state that has reciprocity with Ohio, and then apply as a reciprocal RE licensee - but I just wanted to make sure that would even work or be possible before going through with it

User Stats

Votes
Cierra Seay
  • Eastpointe, MI
Votes |
  • Eastpointe, MI
Replied Aug 23 2014, 07:38

To be sure I would call up their licensing division but it sounds like your plan should work.

User Stats

Votes
James Wise#4 All Forums Contributor
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Cleveland Dayton Cincinnati Toledo Columbus & Akron, OH
Votes |
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Cleveland Dayton Cincinnati Toledo Columbus & Akron, OH
Replied Aug 23 2014, 08:22

You do not need to live in Ohio to become licensed.

You do however need to fly to Ohio to go to school.

There is no online presence licensing curriculum for an Ohio Real Estate license

User Stats

Votes
David Rupp
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Columbus, OH
Votes |
  • Columbus, OH
Replied Aug 25 2014, 11:22

Thanks @James Wise I have been looking all over for a Ohio online school, and wasn't able to find one. Now I know why.

David

User Stats

Votes
Kyle Kelley
  • Investor
  • Hawthorne, CA
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Hawthorne, CA
Replied Aug 25 2014, 11:40

Thanks  @James Wise  Follow up question for you - I know Ohio has reciprocity with some states, so would I be able to find one of those states that has an online program, complete it, and then file for a license in Ohio as a reciprocity licensee? 

I know that seems like quite the process but I am trying to verify if that would indeed be a possibility as I currently don't have 10 weeks in which I could physically attend classes in Ohio

User Stats

Votes
David Rupp
  • Columbus, OH
Votes |
  • Columbus, OH
Replied Aug 25 2014, 11:51

According to a link I got from Ohio.gov, you need to "be a resident of a state that has a reciprocal agreement with Ohio."

http://www.com.state.oh.us/documents/real_Salesper...

User Stats

Votes
Kyle Kelley
  • Investor
  • Hawthorne, CA
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Hawthorne, CA
Replied Aug 25 2014, 11:54

Thanks @David Rupp 

Still seems confusing/contradictory since I read that document and think even if I am a resident of a reciprocity state I still have to go to Ohio for the law class. Seems odd. Unless I am interpreting it incorrectly

User Stats

Votes
David Rupp
  • Columbus, OH
Votes |
  • Columbus, OH
Replied Aug 25 2014, 12:00

I agree it does look like that. It doesn't make much sense to me either, since three weeks is the minimum amount of time a course will take (that I found.) Not many people can take off for three weeks. 

David

User Stats

Votes
Sam B.
  • Houston, TX
Votes |
  • Houston, TX
Replied Aug 25 2014, 12:17

@Kyle Kelley As @James Wise mentioned above, you do have to tackle this one in person for Ohio - I've looked and messaged James the same question some months back.

I would recommend reaching out to the various institutions that offer these courses and see what sort of schedule they can offer.  You may be able to break it up into manageable bites so that you're only flying out a few times.  It's more expensive, no doubt...but well worth it in my opinion.

Schedules change...I would recommend checking in with several different schools in Ohio and see what you can workout.  For me, with my current work schedule, this is unachievable for the time being.

Good luck!

Jaime Wineand ([email protected]) from Owens Community College provided me this info earlier this year:

Unfortunately, we only offer the classes week nights during the summer and then on the weekends during the Fall/Spring. That seems to work best for us and our students. I am not sure about an online option for the program.

Thanks,

Jaime

User Stats

Votes
Kyle Kelley
  • Investor
  • Hawthorne, CA
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Hawthorne, CA
Replied Aug 25 2014, 12:20

Thank you @Sam B. 

Reaching out to the schools themselves is a great idea. I do know one of the schools that offers classes is actually based in my hometown in Ohio, but I don't think the schedules would work for me since I usually go back around holidays and can't imagine too many classes going on at that time.