• Fairfield-New Haven-Hartford County, CT
Votes |
Value of the BP Podcast: From Podcast Listener to Podcast Guest

Jonathan Makovsky
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Fairfield-New Haven-Hartford County, CT
Posted Jan 30 2015, 09:14

I want to share this post particularly for those who are relatively new to real estate and are considering their options on where/how to get started, especially if you are questioning whether to pay lots of money (if spending money at all) on a real estate course. [DISCLOSURE: I've never attended a paid real estate course - outside of classes need for my real estate license and continuing ed. - so I couldn't tell you with conviction the value of it other than what I hear other people say.] However, I can tell you that I have had early real estate investing successes with spending very little money on classic education tools.

The primary way I educated myself was through the BP podcast, and reading the book suggestions from the guests. Actually when I began listening to the podcasts I only had intentions to listen to buy-and-hold podcasts, and no interest in flipping houses, wholesaling and using direct mail marketing to motivated sellers (I actually never even heard of the latter two methods before listening to BP).

However, I became more interested in flipping as I was listening to the podcasts (and I was not finding buy-and-hold deals that made financial sense to me). I started taking notes on the podcasts (cannot emphasize this enough) as if I were hearing a college lecture. There was so much value and so many "secrets" that each guest shared. Each guest always had at least one unique gem that I was able to use or planned on using for our business.

I also began to read many of the books that were repeatedly recommended. Some people might not like that the book suggestions on the famous four are all the same, but the fact that they repeat themselves told me that those are the books I should read, since most successful real estate investors read them and had a certain mindset.

And after about fourteen months of listening and learning (my first podcast was with @Shaun Reilly  Show 43) I was actually on a BP podcast (show 107). There were challenging times when I never thought I was going to find a deal and be fail miserably, but after listening to Brandon's last question and hearing most guest say to just keep at it (hustle!) and success will come really kept me motivated. 

I am learning that being successful in real estate business doesn't happen quickly for most, but with each success it does get easier and easier. Remember it takes 20 years to become an overnight success.

So if you're out there and wondering where to start; my highest recommendation is through the podcasts and learning from the BP mindset. Don't be fooled that because the podcasts are free that the information is not more valuable than anything on the marketplace - it's just that it's BP's mission statement for everyone to be able to learn in a free or low cost way.

Happy investing and I hope if you're new that I will have the opportunity to hear you on a future BP podcast!

Loading replies...