Votes |
Bad tenants can make you feel like you have been taken hostage

Logan M.
Pro Member
#1 Mobile Home Park Investing Contributor
  • Investor
  • Provo, UT
Posted Jan 3 2024, 07:25

Yesterday, was the first day for a new hire I made. We visited six mobile home park communities, a flip with a lot split, and a 10-plex we are building.

Throughout the day we had a tenant messaging us like a wild animal, she was going crazy. She even said, "You are taking away everything that brings my children enjoyment and joy". That was because I made her tear down their trampoline.

I wanted to touch on what I told my new assistant regarding this tenant. I told her that you will always have some crazy tenants and you need to know not just how to deal with it but also how not to deal with it and how not to get emotionally invested in them. 

Ultimately, we own the property and we don't have to put up with tenants like this in the long term, don't be afraid to not renew their lease and find another tenant.

Bad tenants can make you feel like you have been taken hostage.

I have attached a very small portion of our text communication so you can get a small taste of the fun.

User Stats

Votes
Bruce Woodruff
Pro Member
#3 All Forums Contributor
  • Contractor/Investor/Consultant
  • West Valley Phoenix
Votes |
Pro Member
#3 All Forums Contributor
  • Contractor/Investor/Consultant
  • West Valley Phoenix
Replied Jan 3 2024, 07:35

5th amendment right? Lol.....funny and here I thought that was something else....

User Stats

Votes
Glen Wiley
  • Investor
  • Richmond, VA
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Richmond, VA
Replied Jan 3 2024, 10:30

Great write up, solid perspective, I agree with it.

She did you a favor by showing her true colors before other problems came up. I would not renew her lease. This "may be" the kind of person who not only generates unnecessary drama and hassle but can move forward with unprovoked legal action. Best to gently part ways when the lease is up.

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Jonathan R McLaughlin
Pro Member
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Boston, Massachusetts (MA)
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Boston, Massachusetts (MA)
Replied Jan 3 2024, 15:31

actually, NOT having a voice is her 5th amendment right. She probably should have excercised it.

User Stats

Votes
Replied Jan 4 2024, 07:36

I love the trampoline conversations... always the highlight of my year.

User Stats

Votes
Alecia Loveless
Pro Member
Votes |
Pro Member
Replied Jan 5 2024, 00:09

@Logan M. Totally agree. Bought a great property in April with inherited tenants. One tenant has run hot and cold towards me at least 3 times a month since then and I have had around 200 text messages since buying the property from this tenant. Yesterday I reached my breaking point when this tenant called me a slum lord because I am installing a new heating system and am keeping the old system as a backup and not removing it and then turned a second normally very nice tenant against about this as well. Our temperature regularly goes to -20 during the winter so having a backup system makes sense.

I will be non-renewing this tenants month to month lease come April 1. If it causes several of the tenants to move out I no longer care.

You can’t fix annoying tenants but sometimes you just don’t have to put up with them anymore.

User Stats

Votes
Logan M.
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Provo, UT
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Provo, UT
Replied Jan 5 2024, 06:53
Quote from @Jonathan R McLaughlin:

actually, NOT having a voice is her 5th amendment right. She probably should have excercised it.

Hahahaha true!

User Stats

Votes
Logan M.
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Provo, UT
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Provo, UT
Replied Jan 5 2024, 06:54

I checked her lease and she is month to month. Once we fill a few vacancies we have she is outta here!!!

Then she can exercise her 5th amendment right all day long.

User Stats

Votes
Replied Jan 8 2024, 13:39

I'm glad I read this post, this fifth amendment right is fascinating. Lol, I may have asked her to elaborate a little bit more on it! 

User Stats

Votes
Alexa Davison
  • Real Estate Agent
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
Replied Jan 19 2024, 08:16
Quote from @Logan M.:

I checked her lease and she is month to month. Once we fill a few vacancies we have she is outta here!!!

Then she can exercise her 5th amendment right all day long.

Hahaha! I have had so many conversations go exactly like this in the last 2 years. After serving a 3-day notice due to nonpayment, I received a text from the tenant praying for me, asking me to turn for my wicked ways because Jesus is coming back soon!