Mobile Home Parks questions

Mobile Home Parks questions

Member since 2010 · 25 posts · 11 votes

Looking online, it seems almost too good to be true of an investment.

Let's say this home:

http://www.mobilehomeparkstore.com/p4sale/sonora-tx-116.htm

116 spaces for $995,000. If I put $200,000 down and get an $800,000 loan at 6% across 20 years, the calculator puts my monthly payment at $5731.

If I had full occupancy at $250 rent, that's $29,000 gross scheduled rent per month. Subtract the monthly loan payment and it's $23,269. Let's say an additional $5,000-$8,000 for maintenance and misc. fees, and you're looking at cash flow of $15,000-$18,000 per month from a $200,000 investment. Is it too good to be true? With that sort of investment into apartment buildings or SFH's, it wouldn't be even $1,000 monthly cash flow.

Plus the parks would be low-maintenance and fairly simple to maintain, as compared to apartments which would be more of a hassle.

Any thoughts?

Also, what if someone wanted to develop a park? How much would the cost be? If I purchased 25 acres, how many spots could I place on it? And how much would the infrastructure, permits, etc, cost?

Also in order to get full occupancy, I could try things like 6 months free rent w/ 5 year contract, as well as improving the premises and maybe adding something like a tennis court or recreational area.

And here are two ideas of mine:
Could someone get electric generators and sell electricity to the tenants? That way I capitalize on rent and electric.

Would I make more money selling off each space? I could offer the tenant a financing plan across 10 years at $450/month in order for them to purchase the land underneath the home; if they like it, then I'd make a nice profit. And if they are unable to pay, well, they can't really trash the land the same way they can trash an apartment or mobile home itself.

0Reply
23 views

Most Popular Reply

Mobile Home Investor · Spanaway, WA · Member since 2008 · 1k+ posts · 578 votes
16y

I read somewhere that you can retire on the income from just one mobile home park. Also, most owners who get into MHPs are not satisfied with just one so they look for more. Got burnt out on apts so did a 1031x into a MHP in NC. Built up occupancy of the MHP by increasing it from 82-108 occupied spaces. Raised the rent by $15 twice and after 4-years left NC with $1M more in money to roll into another 1031x for another MHP in another state. After 4 years there will probably be ready to sell that one and look for a larger more expensive MHP to get into. Compared to apts the management is a breeze - you just rent the land. Turnover is next to nothing. For older apts it is a rule of thumb you have to put 55-65% of your gross income back into the property to maintain it. With a MHP the rule of thumb is 30-40% of gross income goes back in so leaves you with more! Then you buy and sell (Lonnie Deal) used mobile homes in the MHP and you have another stream of income coming in. Sometimes realtors refer to a property like this as being a cash cow - I tend to agree with that statement.

See this reply in the discussion

6 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Real Estate Investor · Near Houston, TX · Member since 2010 · 93 posts · 12 votes
    16y

    Forgive me for answering, since I don't own a park, have only read about investing in them.
    But, from what I understand, you need to value the park based on what the current, actual occupancy is right now. You also need to see a current statement of actual expenxes. And they're probably higher than what you're estimating.
    You need to know if the park pays for water or if the residents pay their own. This will have a significant impact on the cash flow from the park.

  • Real Estate Investor · Member since 2009 · 260 posts · 119 votes
    16y

    I wouldn't suggest selling the lots. Especially over 10yr terms. If you have a loan over 20 yrs and all the lots are sold and paid off in 10 yrs, that leaves you 10 years of paying your loan off with no revenue from lot rent + all the expenses/maintenance/overhead of the park.

  • Real Estate Investor · Newport Beach, CA · Member since 2010 · 6 posts · 0 votes
    16y

    It might be a deal. There is a lot of other numbers that need to be considered. If you would like I have an excel spreadsheet I developed that I can email you. Your thinking is right on though! These parks are cash cows!!!

  • Real Estate Lender · Philadelphia, PA · Member since 2009 · 216 posts · 112 votes
    16y

    A lot of people think they are cash cows, and in many situations they may be if they are properly managed. However, as a commercial asset manager, I see these things going to foreclosure all too often. So that being said, make sure you know all of the details involved in owning and managing a MHP before you buy. I think that there is more to it than meets the eye.

  • Member since 2009 · 499 posts · 117 votes
    16y

    Add up expenses such as
    garbage service
    street lights,
    street repairs and replacement
    ditto for sidewalks and parking
    water and sewer replacement and leak repairs
    water and sewer costs
    management
    water testing if well
    electrical repairs
    non-collectible rents
    vacancy
    filling vacancy by buying homes
    moving and set up of same
    vandalism
    insurance
    stupidity
    snow removal
    attorney retainer
    court costs
    1000 things i forgot
    oh, new hair when yours is all gone
    nerve medicine and doctor bills
    taxes and more taxes

  • Mobile Home Investor · Spanaway, WA · Member since 2008 · 1k+ posts · 578 votes
    16y

    I read somewhere that you can retire on the income from just one mobile home park. Also, most owners who get into MHPs are not satisfied with just one so they look for more. Got burnt out on apts so did a 1031x into a MHP in NC. Built up occupancy of the MHP by increasing it from 82-108 occupied spaces. Raised the rent by $15 twice and after 4-years left NC with $1M more in money to roll into another 1031x for another MHP in another state. After 4 years there will probably be ready to sell that one and look for a larger more expensive MHP to get into. Compared to apts the management is a breeze - you just rent the land. Turnover is next to nothing. For older apts it is a rule of thumb you have to put 55-65% of your gross income back into the property to maintain it. With a MHP the rule of thumb is 30-40% of gross income goes back in so leaves you with more! Then you buy and sell (Lonnie Deal) used mobile homes in the MHP and you have another stream of income coming in. Sometimes realtors refer to a property like this as being a cash cow - I tend to agree with that statement.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.