Mobile Home Park Investing

User Stats

Votes
Micahel Lorent
Votes |
Mobile Home Parks questions

Micahel Lorent
Posted May 4 2010, 13:05

Looking online, it seems almost too good to be true of an investment.

Let's say this home:

http://www.mobilehomeparkstore.com/p4sale/sonora-tx-116.htm

116 spaces for $995,000. If I put $200,000 down and get an $800,000 loan at 6% across 20 years, the calculator puts my monthly payment at $5731.

If I had full occupancy at $250 rent, that's $29,000 gross scheduled rent per month. Subtract the monthly loan payment and it's $23,269. Let's say an additional $5,000-$8,000 for maintenance and misc. fees, and you're looking at cash flow of $15,000-$18,000 per month from a $200,000 investment. Is it too good to be true? With that sort of investment into apartment buildings or SFH's, it wouldn't be even $1,000 monthly cash flow.

Plus the parks would be low-maintenance and fairly simple to maintain, as compared to apartments which would be more of a hassle.

Any thoughts?

Also, what if someone wanted to develop a park? How much would the cost be? If I purchased 25 acres, how many spots could I place on it? And how much would the infrastructure, permits, etc, cost?

Also in order to get full occupancy, I could try things like 6 months free rent w/ 5 year contract, as well as improving the premises and maybe adding something like a tennis court or recreational area.

And here are two ideas of mine:
Could someone get electric generators and sell electricity to the tenants? That way I capitalize on rent and electric.

Would I make more money selling off each space? I could offer the tenant a financing plan across 10 years at $450/month in order for them to purchase the land underneath the home; if they like it, then I'd make a nice profit. And if they are unable to pay, well, they can't really trash the land the same way they can trash an apartment or mobile home itself.

Loading replies...