BiggerPockets

Condos in good areas vs. 2-4 units in worse areas

Forum Powered By:

24 posts by 9 users

To participate in forum discussions, create a free account or login.

Rob Cee

Seattle, Washington

Feb 14 '12, 03:17 PM

I'm curious what other buy and hold investors think about condo rentals in good areas vs. 2-4 units in worse areas of San Diego CA. What would you rather have? Cash flow would probably be slightly better on the units in the worse areas. But tenants likely better in the condos in the better areas.

Nathan Emmert

Multi-family Investor from South Jordan, Utah

Feb 14 '12, 04:05 PM
2 votes

You've really gotta get over that perception of tenants being better.

Condos scare the hell out of me for numerous reasons. What if the building reaches it's limit on owner occupy and you can't rent it any more? What if HOA fees go up 100% because people aren't paying? What if you can't sell the unit long term because the occupancy is too low for conventional funding to the buyer?

Condos just have a ton of risk, risk you can do very little to control or mitigate. I'll stick to my nice C class areas with quality blue collar tenants.

Rob Cee

Seattle, Washington

Feb 14 '12, 04:23 PM

Thanks. Those are good points about condos. Although I have never seen a condo project where they restrict renting and I have looked at hundreds of CC&R's. That is more of a myth than reality IMO, 99% of CC&R's don't restrict renting of units & you'll know that by reading them before you buy.

Hoa due rises are a risk. But you can also run your numbers going into it and see if it would still be good cash flow if hoa dues went up $100-$200/mo. Most will not rise more than that much over a 10 year period. I have also known lots of condo projects to not have had a special assessment in over 20 yrs.

Condos prices are also more depressed in price right now than SFR's or units b/c of the financing issues associated with them. As the housing market stabilizes the lenders will get more aggressive with condo financing IMO.

Sam Sagor

Residential Landlord from Kailua-Kona, Hawaii

Feb 14 '12, 04:25 PM

That is true. Condo renters are not better people. They don't care about you're property anymore. The bad area units may come up in the world. I'd vote against condo and for a tangible return (cashflow)

Rob Cee

Seattle, Washington

Feb 14 '12, 04:26 PM

Also I see you are Utah. I think the condo dynamics are different in places like Utah vs. say Coastal CA, Seattle, Boston, etc... In expensive areas, condos become the defacto first time home buyer home of choice because SFR's are so out of reach price wise. I would never buy condos in a place like Utah or in the Midwest because SFR's are so comparably affordable, first time home buyers in those areas still will always buy SFR's. SFR's are not comparably affordable in Coastal CA or say Boston.

Rob Cee

Seattle, Washington

Feb 14 '12, 04:30 PM

Condo renter may not be better people, but they have better credit scores and there will likely not be gang activity in a good part of town where the condo is. You can also rent them in a second because they are in such desirable, safe parts of town & likely turnover less. Lots of money lost in turnover with rentals. Less of a "headache" in terms of management IMO.

But I do hear you about units not having the hoa...that is certainly a plus.

T Ferrante

Real Estate Investor from

Feb 14 '12, 04:30 PM

I've started buying more condos. Nathan's comments cover my reasons for concern. I ultimately decided that the return on my condos is worth the risk. I am in the DC market so that may make a difference. First, I am able to buy at less than 30% of tax assessed value. Second, my rehab is generally painting and cleaning. In my area there are no condo communities that meet the FHA requirements (unfortunate but true). Regarding owner occupancy limits, I am going in as an investor. If there is a limit on investors in the bylaws, I don't buy. If a subsequent owner occupancy bylaw is proposed, I make it clear that I want to be grandfathered in. Regarding tenants, I have class A, B, and C properties. I've had great tenants in my class C and not so great in my class A and vice versa. I think that success with tenants is careful screening and clearly defined expectations. I've learned the hard way, but . . . I have learned.

Rob Cee

Seattle, Washington

Feb 14 '12, 04:34 PM

Thanks T Ferrante...DC is more of a good comparison to San Diego in terms of market dynamics. You make a good point about rehab too. The condos generally do not need much rehab.

T Ferrante

Real Estate Investor from

Feb 14 '12, 05:01 PM

In my condos, the first person who walks in fills out an application and generally becomes the new tenant. The second person who comes in, usually fills out an application as a back up.

My apartments also rent quickly (the best school in the city is across the street) but have more turnover than the condos. My single family houses have the greatest maintenance expense but the least turnover.

Rich Weese Donor

Real Estate Investor from sioux falls, South Dakota

Feb 14 '12, 05:05 PM
1 vote

Rob

My comments about condos are always going to be the same – run the other direction! I've owned a couple out of the many many properties I've owned and I will not own another. There are so many problems that can develop that you are not prepared for. Your answers to many of your responses sounds like you are already leaning towards the condos so it may be hard to change your mind. I have been around a lot of condo projects and I've never seen one that has run efficiently and not had special assessments eventually come up. These are not inexpensive assessments. They would be for roofs, new carports, or the asphalt/concrete driveways and parking areas.

Many condos are now owned by renters and the landlords are notorious for not paying their maintenance fee. Someone has to make up this fee or the swimming pool turns into a beautiful flower garden.

In all the rentals that I've had, I would have a hard time in advance determining who are the better people and who are not. Good luck on your decision, especially if you select condos. Rich

Rob Cee

Seattle, Washington

Feb 14 '12, 05:36 PM

Thanks Rich for your excellent comments. But one thing to point out... you do have hoa dues on condos and you may or may not have a special assessment every 5-10 yrs. But condos you will never have to pay out of your pocket to:
-replace the roof
-paint the exterior
-keep up the landscaping

....units you will have to pay for all this.

Also, water/garbage bill is included in the hoa with condos where you have to pay that with units. And the hoa polices the area (doesn't allow large dogs, or people to park a ton of cars & keep junk around like they will on units).

I do myself personally live in a condo right now.

But I hear you on units, I do like them better all things being equal. But in my area they are in so much worse areas of town than condos for similar price per door. I would personally live where I invest in condos, I would not personally live where I would buy units. So guess there is just a safety factor for me because I know what the tenant will be like since I have rented in these areas myself.

Some of the worst nightmare stories I've heard form long term investors I know (that favor SFR's now) are from 4-plex's they owned in bad parts of San Bernardino CA on blocks with mostly apartments. They all said it was a nightmare management situation with endless turnover, drug activity, etc... And they sucked up so much of their time and energy that they vowed to never buy anything but single families homes again.

Rich Weese Donor

Feb 14 '12, 06:54 PM

You weren't comparing SFRs. I agree that they are by far the best, imo. I owned a 13 unit in Montclair at one time. Close to San Bernardino. You have to stay on top of those properties. I was in FL until past June. Every condo I looked at had problems with the HOA that were NOT fixable imo. I rented one when I first moved there. Nice 2-2 fully furnished and rented for $800 while we found a home. Because some units were never finished before Bust, and so many walked away the poor owner had $500 monthly fee! He didn't do anything wrong, but caught in an unfixable market. Other owners in complex were so far underwater they refused to pay fee. Assn didn' want to foreclose because the pmt was so much higher than condo was worth. Lots of bad things.
My viewpoint is VERY scewed due to experience. Your view may be the opposite because you live in one. Good luck. Rich.

Rob Cee

Seattle, Washington

Feb 14 '12, 08:55 PM

Rich...Florida is also ground zero for a massive over supply of condos. San Diego doesn't have near the over supply problem of FL & it's harder to add more supply here. In fact supply is very tight here right now and I'm starting to kick myself for not buying a condo a could of had for $100k last year that is now $130k!

Rob Cee

Seattle, Washington

Feb 14 '12, 08:56 PM

And it isn't simple to just invest in SFR rentals in San Diego as the cheapest houses in the ghetto here are $250k and get $1,650 in rent. Not very good numbers. Where a condo can be had in a better area for $90k and get $1,100 in rent.

Rich Weese Donor

Feb 15 '12, 06:10 AM

Rob – I have a saying I'm going to use quite a bit in my presentation at the BP seminar in Denver: "widen your horizons and expand your vision". In your case, it might mean to look outside of your area to areas that are more median price type areas. I can see you are sold on condos so I will bow out of this thread now. Good luck. Rich

Rob Cee

Seattle, Washington

Feb 15 '12, 06:14 AM

Hi Rich... Just playing devils advocate for condos for debate. I'm definitely willing to look out of state. I have 1 SFR rental out of state right now. What areas do you recommend? I'm thinking of checking out Phoenix and Vegas because they are pretty close to San Diego & have prices below construction cost. Thanks for your responses:)!

Jon Klaus Moderator Donor

Real Estate Investor from Garland, Texas

Feb 15 '12, 06:21 AM

Rob, here are some blog entries by Jeff Brown on investing in San Diego vs. other places. I know he also likes duplexes better than condos.

http://bawldguy.com/category/san-diego-property-owners/

Jeff is speaking at the summit in Denver. Are you coming?

Jon Klaus, SellPropertyFast
E-Mail: [email protected]
Telephone: 214-929-6545

Jesse Poll

Residential Real Estate Agent from St George, Utah

Feb 15 '12, 06:43 AM

Rob;
I spoke with a lender a couple weeks ago about purchasing a condo in Vegas and he said that I would have a very hard time finding a lender to loan on a condo in Vegas.

Rob Cee

Seattle, Washington

Feb 15 '12, 06:59 AM

Jesse...I would NOT be buying condos in Vegas or Phoenix...ONLY SFR's out of state for sure. The only condos I would buy would be good areas of San Diego.

Rob Cee

Seattle, Washington

Feb 15 '12, 07:09 AM

Jon...just ready Jeff's post on buying out of state.... Texas. I can't say I agree with him. I would go Vegas/Phoenix/Orlando before Texas any day. I think BECAUSE the prices have been hit harder in those places makes it a reason to go there. Prices are way below construction costs and those are still cities people will still keep moving to for the foreseeable future. Texas has a terribly high cash flow killing property tax rate and has never had any pop in appreciation and never will. And Texas hasn't been hit as hard in price so your not buying into a distressed market. If I was going to buy out of state, I would rather go to the FORMER bubble markets that have crashed (AZ, FL NV), get in below construction costs, get cash flow with low property taxes (NV/AZ have low property taxes...FL does not), and take a chance that they recover at least back to a little ABOVE construction costs.

(Don't Want to See This? Log in or Create a Free BiggerPockets.com Account!)

Ubg-book

Get the Free eBook from BiggerPockets

Get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks, and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable Advice for Getting Started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more!

We hate spam just as much as you

To post a reply or start a new discussion, create a free account or login.

Manage Keyword Alerts

View All Forums