Votes
Matthew Pritchett
  • Marion, IN
Votes |
Help Presenting an Offer

Matthew Pritchett
  • Marion, IN
Posted Jan 1 2024, 10:05

Starting the New Year off right - analyzing deals! I look through Crexi, Loopnet, and Zillow for apartment buildings/complexes. Then go through some general underwriting before asking the brokers/agents for specific data and/or signing NDAs. My problem is I stop at the analysis sometimes not knowing where I'll get the money. Looking at a $2M+ properties, I don't have the funds currently for the down payment (I may not even have liquidity to get the contract), but I know it's a good deal. How do I move out of analysis paralysis into more offers?

User Stats

Votes
Russell Brazil
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Washington, D.C.
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Washington, D.C.
ModeratorReplied Jan 1 2024, 10:54

You got to figure out where the money is coming from before you make an offer

District Invest Group Logo

User Stats

Votes
Bill Brandt#3 1031 Exchanges Contributor
  • Investor
  • Las Vegas, NV
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Las Vegas, NV
Replied Jan 1 2024, 11:21

Start researching deals you can afford. If there are none then you have to get more money. Right now you might as well be researching $200 million deals that you can’t afford either. 

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Evan Polaski
Pro Member
#4 Multi-Family and Apartment Investing Contributor
  • Cincinnati, OH
Votes |
Pro Member
#4 Multi-Family and Apartment Investing Contributor
  • Cincinnati, OH
Replied Jan 3 2024, 08:29

@Matthew Pritchett: two options:
1. look for what you can afford
2. Find more money.  

I wouldn't say you are in analysis paralysis, per se, you are living a dream right now.  Nothing wrong with that, necessarily, I do it sometimes on Zillow, dreaming of the $10mm house in downtown Park City near the Town Lift.

As for "finding more money", you can start attending meetups with others that want to buy bigger deals and pool your money in a JV to buy a bigger deal. You can talk to friends and family about investing passively in the deals you like, and get some interest to help fund the downpayment.

There are multiple ways to fund deals that don't always involve using your own money. 

User Stats

Votes
Caleb Brown
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Blue Springs
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Blue Springs
Replied Jan 3 2024, 08:30

As others said you need to find the money first or adjust your criteria. Have you done big deals before? What's your track history? This will be just as vital as finding the money