Commercial Real Estate Investing

User Stats

Votes
Noa Zell
Votes |
Uses for MR1 Properties in Los Angeles

Noa Zell
Posted Mar 4 2024, 18:24

I have an option to purchase an MR1 lot in a great location in LA but I'm skeptical regarding uses for this kind of land. I considered rezoning to commercial and selling to a developer, but as I understand it the city is currently very reluctant to approve these kinds of requests and commercial development is very slow because of high interest rates. I'm looking for insights regarding creative uses for MR1 lots (currently there are 4 auto repair shops on the 14k+ sqft lot). 

What kind of buyers would be interested in a lot like this? 

How can I increase income from this property? 

How can I maximize the selling value?

User Stats

Votes
Jon Schwartz
  • Realtor
  • Los Angeles, CA
Votes |
  • Realtor
  • Los Angeles, CA
Replied Mar 4 2024, 20:17

@Noa Zell, here's the actual language defining MR1 zoning:

https://codelibrary.amlegal.com/codes/los_angeles/latest/lap...

I'd study this and see if any allowable use would generate more rental income than auto repair shops.

User Stats

Votes
Kristi Kandel
Pro Member
#3 Land & New Construction Contributor
  • Developer
  • Fort Myers Beach, FL
Votes |
Pro Member
#3 Land & New Construction Contributor
  • Developer
  • Fort Myers Beach, FL
Replied Mar 5 2024, 06:30
Quote from @Noa Zell:

I have an option to purchase an MR1 lot in a great location in LA but I'm skeptical regarding uses for this kind of land. I considered rezoning to commercial and selling to a developer, but as I understand it the city is currently very reluctant to approve these kinds of requests and commercial development is very slow because of high interest rates. I'm looking for insights regarding creative uses for MR1 lots (currently there are 4 auto repair shops on the 14k+ sqft lot). 

What kind of buyers would be interested in a lot like this? 

How can I increase income from this property? 

How can I maximize the selling value?

@Noa Zell Agreed with @Jon Schwartz on first identifying the allowed uses in the MR1 zone and then reach out to the Planner to discuss the options for permitting those uses and the timing. We do a TON of commercial real estate development in LA and all over CA. Finding the highest and best use for the land is exactly what developers do and if you can get creative in your concepts that's where you'll find ways to maximize returns that others might not see and could allow you to move forward even in today's market and hurdles like interest rates. 

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Noa Zell
Votes |
Replied Mar 8 2024, 08:00

Thank you @Jon Schwartz and @Kristi Kandel!