Skip to content
Foreclosures

User Stats

Votes
Derek Madon
Votes |
How to buy properties at auction (Broward & Palm Beach County FL)

Derek Madon
Posted May 2 2020, 15:50

I am a business owner in another industry, and looking to get into purchasing properties at the county foreclosure auction website. I am having a lot of trouble finding out how to "Clearly" search for property liens and other encumbrances on a property that is posted for sale at the county foreclosure auction site.   I am not sure if there is a website/service that does this for a fee or if there is some sort of course/training that can explain the things you need to look for.  

Any help on this is appreciated. 

User Stats

Votes
Tchaka Owen
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Merritt Island, FL
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Merritt Island, FL
Replied May 2 2020, 16:22

1. Make sure you know what you're doing before you try Broward.

2. Watch the auctions for a month or two (do some simulations for practice) before you actually bid.

Otherwise you will likely run home with your tail between your legs. Broward isn't for the faint of heart. I don't know anything about the PBC process.

User Stats

Votes
Brian Garrett
  • Real Estate Investor
  • Palm Beach County, FL
Votes |
  • Real Estate Investor
  • Palm Beach County, FL
Replied May 2 2020, 16:40

You can learn to scour through the county records or you can establish a relationship with a title company to run preliminary searches. There is someone here on BP that has a website which offers this as a service as well but I cannot promote their link. I can tell you from someone who has watched the Palm Beach County auctions for a couple years that it is very rare to see any real deals there. Everything decent either gets canceled, is asking too much or gets bid up to paper thin margins.

NREIG  logo
NREIG
|
Sponsored
Customizable insurance coverage with a program that’s easy to use Add, edit, and remove properties from your account any time with no minimum-earned premiums.

User Stats

Votes
Roman M.
  • Investor
  • Miami Beach, FL
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Miami Beach, FL
Replied May 2 2020, 16:52

I know. It's time consuming. There is no service. Always buyer beware.

I have done it tons of time in Dade and broward and bought bunch of  properties in Miami at auction during last crisis. 

Broward is less competitive.

There are no guarantee but there is a way.

User Stats

Votes
Gina Stern
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Boca Raton, FL
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Boca Raton, FL
Replied May 2 2020, 18:46

There are ways to make the research faster and find deals within, there are deals there but you have to be vigilant and do your research, see investors consistently get deals at 70% or below even in South Florida markets.

User Stats

Votes
Replied Jun 6 2023, 13:26
Quote from @Roman M.:

I know. It's time consuming. There is no service. Always buyer beware.

I have done it tons of time in Dade and broward and bought bunch of  properties in Miami at auction during last crisis. 

Broward is less competitive.

There are no guarantee but there is a way.

User Stats

Votes
Replied Jun 6 2023, 13:33

@Roman M.,

I was wondering if you can enlighten me on how this online auction works for broward?

User Stats

Votes
Gina Stern
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Boca Raton, FL
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Boca Raton, FL
Replied Jun 7 2023, 07:46
Theres a great book called Florida Foreclosure Sales by Natalia Ouelette Grice, which is chock full of information on Foreclosure Sales and how the process works. There are also websites which have all the information in one place along with educational articles that are a great resource. Good luck!

User Stats

Votes
Replied Mar 4 2024, 15:08
Im in Tampa Bay interested in getting started in this market, but auctions seem intimidating. 

Are there realtors/consultants that could help in the process? 

Quote from @Gina Stern:

There are ways to make the research faster and find deals within, there are deals there but you have to be vigilant and do your research, see investors consistently get deals at 70% or below even in South Florida markets.