User Stats

Votes
Don Miller#1 Land & New Construction Contributor
Votes |
First time with new construction: Cape Coral, FL

Posted Aug 16 2022, 11:43

Hey guys,
This post is mainly just to share where I'm at with this process, provide opportunities for myself to network with others in the area, and so I can periodically update.  I have connected with several members doing new construction or with boots on the ground in Cape Coral, so thanks to all of you that have discussed and answered questions from me so far.
Here's where I'm at:
-Connected with Rent to Retirement in November/December 2021 to discuss the area and opportunity.
-Closed on build contract January 2022 on a 4/3 (Build price itself is 246k).
-Closed on Freshwater canal Lot February 2022. (39k with closing costs).
-(All in construction+lot cost is 285k before loan and closing costs).
-Sent Deposit to builder February 2022. (13.5k) 
-Surveys, Site Plan, Septic Design approval initiated: February 2022
-Completed Survey/Design Package completed and sent to city of Cape Coral: June 2022
-As of August 2022, Permits are still under review by city.  Most submissions are under "Approved" status, but permit not formally issued.
-Lender currently has an estimated valuation of 410k for the property.

The hope is to buy and hold, LTR.  Current projected rent: ~$2450/mo

Needless to say, it has been a very interesting time to build.  We are excited, at times frustrated, and have a healthy level of anxiety, but all of those elements were expected from the start.

I'll try to keep this thread updated, as it has always been helpful for me to read others' experiences.

-Don

User Stats

Votes
Jordan Ray
  • Developer
  • West Palm Beach, FL
Votes |
  • Developer
  • West Palm Beach, FL
Replied Feb 22 2024, 12:45

Looking forward to further updates @Don Miller

User Stats

Votes
Votes |
Replied Feb 26 2024, 15:03

Doors, windows, sliders delivered.
Front door installed.
Septic completed and passed private inspection.
Power is connected.
Culvert scheduled for next week.

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Diane Felix
  • Real Estate Consultant
Votes |
  • Real Estate Consultant
Replied Mar 8 2024, 07:36

WOW! Thank you for sharing, lessons learned! 

User Stats

Votes
Votes |
Replied Mar 15 2024, 12:01

I currently see a "Stop work order" on the permit on the city website.

"Erosion control" has failed city inspection 3 times this month.  Another inspection is scheduled on Monday.

User Stats

Votes
John Burtle
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Illinois
Votes |
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Illinois
Replied Mar 17 2024, 13:18

wow! 

Congrats for the new build. Over two years would have me so nervous. 

I am getting ready to start my first spec home build. As you know it can be nerve wrecking. 

I'm looking forward to seeing the progress and I hope your build gets done soon. 

User Stats

Votes
Votes |
Replied Mar 17 2024, 16:17
Quote from @John Burtle:

wow! 

Congrats for the new build. Over two years would have me so nervous. 

I am getting ready to start my first spec home build. As you know it can be nerve wrecking. 

I'm looking forward to seeing the progress and I hope your build gets done soon. 

Thanks John.  I am ready for the next steps.  Good luck on yours!

User Stats

Votes
Votes |
Replied Mar 18 2024, 12:29
Quote from @Don Miller:

I currently see a "Stop work order" on the permit on the city website.

"Erosion control" has failed city inspection 3 times this month.  Another inspection is scheduled on Monday.

Erosion control has passed, and the permit is displaying "issued" status again, so that is resolved.

On the lending side, I have signed for another extension.  The lender has requested a 10% pay down on drawn funds (towards principal) at the time of extension. (this is my second 6 months extension)

User Stats

Votes
Votes |
Replied Mar 20 2024, 13:02

Doors, windows, and insulation installed.  Dry wall in progress.  Finishes were selected a couple weeks ago.

User Stats

Votes
Votes |
Replied Apr 15 2024, 09:34

Drywall in.  Well was also recently completed

User Stats

Votes
Jay Hinrichs#2 All Forums Contributor
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Lake Oswego OR Summerlin, NV
Votes |
  • Real Estate Broker
Replied Apr 15 2024, 09:42
Quote from @Don Miller:

2 years to get to this point ?  at least its moving along finally. 

User Stats

Votes
Votes |
Replied Apr 15 2024, 10:07
Quote from @Jay Hinrichs:
Quote from @Don Miller:

2 years and 3 months after signing contract.
1 year and 8 months after permits were approved by the city.

I am glad things are moving, for sure.

User Stats

Votes
  • Real Estate Broker
Votes |
  • Real Estate Broker
Replied Apr 15 2024, 10:10
Quote from @Don Miller:
Quote from @Don Miller:

I built 4 homes in Ocala and while we got them done it was over 12 to 16 months.. FLA for all their progressive pro business  building permits and construction to me is not one of them.. I am sure it will all work out for you in the long run.. we sold ours and made a tiny profit on each but its better than a loss right ?

User Stats

Votes
Votes |
Replied Apr 15 2024, 10:17
Quote from @Don Miller:
Quote from @Don Miller:

I built 4 homes in Ocala and while we got them done it was over 12 to 16 months.. FLA for all their progressive pro business  building permits and construction to me is not one of them.. I am sure it will all work out for you in the long run.. we sold ours and made a tiny profit on each but its better than a loss right ?

It has been a learning experience, for sure.  I will say, the city of Cape Coral's permitting was painfully backed up at the time, and then they shifted to a new system which caused other delays.  Still not 100% sure what I will do at the end of this (we are a long, long way from the 3.5% rates and hot, hot sellers market of December 2021/Jan 2022 when I started looking into this).  I am hoping a small profit is still on the table, but time will tell.

User Stats

Votes
Eric James
  • Malakoff, TX
Votes |
  • Malakoff, TX
Replied Apr 15 2024, 10:23

This is why I build outside city limits. In TX. 3 months from the time I purchase the land until they (I build small apartment buildings) are ready to be rented.

User Stats

Votes
Votes |
Replied Apr 15 2024, 10:32
Quote from @Eric James:

This is why I build outside city limits. In TX. 3 months from the time I purchase the land until they (I build small apartment buildings) are ready to be rented.

Wow!  I can't even imagine. 

I will also say, I expected over a year and a half going into this, based on my information and research at the time, knowing about permitting and material delays in the area.  The Cat 5 hurricane direct hit (a week after closing on my loan) probably didn't help either.

User Stats

Votes
  • Real Estate Broker
Votes |
  • Real Estate Broker
Replied Apr 15 2024, 11:23
Quote from @Eric James:

3 months soup to nuts.. is astonishing wow. !!!  

User Stats

Votes
Eric James
  • Malakoff, TX
Votes |
  • Malakoff, TX
Replied Apr 15 2024, 12:57
Quote from @Eric James:

3 months soup to nuts.. is astonishing wow. !!!  

I hired my own crew and work with them full time. 3 months is for a 5 apartment building. The bottleneck for me is getting my cash out refinance after each building is completed.

User Stats

Votes
Ruchit Patel
  • Bay area, CA
Votes |
  • Bay area, CA
Replied Apr 15 2024, 22:33

Great to see some progress finally! 

Did they tell you what is their estimated completion date and what was the price of your contract again? Do you also remember appraisal value?

User Stats

Votes
Kristi Kandel
Pro Member
#3 Land & New Construction Contributor
  • Developer
  • Fort Myers Beach, FL
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Developer
  • Fort Myers Beach, FL
Replied Apr 16 2024, 02:36
Quote from @Don Miller:

We took a trip to Cape Coral last week.
The area seems to be getting back to routine.  There are still a ton of roofs with blue tarps needing repair/replacement and some debris sitting curbside.  
Otherwise, we thoroughly enjoyed the area.  In driving past our property, we saw that a bunch of fill dirt was brought in for elevation/grading.

We also did a visit to Pine Island which has a lot of areas of worse damage.  Driving through Matlacha to get to Pine Island was particularly tough to see.  The area truly looks devastated, yet you can still see the charm that was there and will be back again.  There were people out and about smiling and offering free food to other residents.

Through the ups and downs, we continue to believe in the project and the area.

@Don Miller I live in fort myers beach. I thought I saw my roof on CNN so I biked in 3 days after the hurricane to find out if I still had a house. Thankfully I did.  

When I was reading your updates I was thinking how your permit timing was lining up vs the upcoming disaster. 

I’m a big fan of the area in the long run, and the SWFL communities have proven their resiliency the past 1.5 years and will continue to do so. 

While we don’t have state income tax here we do have the hurricane tax that comes with high insurance premiums and little real insurance benefits/help when it’s needed. As long as you’re building with future hurricanes (wind and flood) in mind you can ensure that you’re prepared for future storms. 

I took that approach with everything I rebuilt at my property in FMB and there is a peace of mind from knowing exactly how to handle the next hurricane. The unknown is always the worst and now knowing what to anticipate from all sides (fema, insurance, SBA, damage, cleanup, repairs and rebuilding, etc.) makes every future storm a little more tolerable.

Part of it just comes down to the price we are willing to pay to live in such an amazing area. Beyond the actual dollars. 

I do believe that our area will all bounce back much stronger than before and what would have taken at least the islands another 30-50 years to redevelop is now reduced down to likely a 7-15 year rebuilding period. 

The only thing constant in life is change AND ultimately the only thing we control in life is our Response to what happens. 

User Stats

Votes
Votes |
Replied Apr 16 2024, 03:00
Quote from @Ruchit Patel:

Did they tell you what is their estimated completion date and what was the price of your contract again? Do you also remember appraisal value?

More recently, they estimated completion, June 1.  However historically (last September) they had estimated December of 2023, so we will see.

The pre construction appraisal was in the low 400s.  Recently I've seen a couple of these sell for 360k to 385k.

land purchase was about 40k.  Contract price was about 246k.  I've had a change order for 14k and anticipate another may come when the canal line is cleared. 

one of the biggest things has been holding costs with my particular loan product, plus multiple extensions with multiple extension fees

User Stats

Votes
Votes |
Replied Apr 16 2024, 03:08
Quote from @Kristi Kandel:
Quote from @Don Miller:

The area seems to be getting back to routine.  There are still a ton of roofs with blue tarps needing repair/replacement and some debris sitting curbside.  
Otherwise, we thoroughly enjoyed the area.  In driving past our property, we saw that a bunch of fill dirt was brought in for elevation/grading.

We also did a visit to Pine Island which has a lot of areas of worse damage.  Driving through Matlacha to get to Pine Island was particularly tough to see.  The area truly looks devastated, yet you can still see the charm that was there and will be back again.  There were people out and about smiling and offering free food to other residents.

@Don Miller I live in fort myers beach. I thought I saw my roof on CNN so I biked in 3 days after the hurricane to find out if I still had a house. Thankfully I did.  

When I was reading your updates I was thinking how your permit timing was lining up vs the upcoming disaster. 

I’m a big fan of the area in the long run, and the SWFL communities have proven their resiliency the past 1.5 years and will continue to do so. 

While we don’t have state income tax here we do have the hurricane tax that comes with high insurance premiums and little real insurance benefits/help when it’s needed. As long as you’re building with future hurricanes (wind and flood) in mind you can ensure that you’re prepared for future storms. 

I took that approach with everything I rebuilt at my property in FMB and there is a peace of mind from knowing exactly how to handle the next hurricane. The unknown is always the worst and now knowing what to anticipate from all sides (fema, insurance, SBA, damage, cleanup, repairs and rebuilding, etc.) makes every future storm a little more tolerable.

Part of it just comes down to the price we are willing to pay to live in such an amazing area. Beyond the actual dollars. 

I do believe that our area will all bounce back much stronger than before and what would have taken at least the islands another 30-50 years to redevelop is now reduced down to likely a 7-15 year rebuilding period. 

The only thing constant in life is change AND ultimately the only thing we control in life is our Response to what happens. 

What you all went through on the islands was unbelievable.  Ive been impressed with the response, resiliency, and rebuild down there.  

User Stats

Votes
Kristi Kandel
Pro Member
  • Developer
  • Fort Myers Beach, FL
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Developer
  • Fort Myers Beach, FL
Replied Apr 16 2024, 04:35
Quote from @Don Miller:
Quote from @Kristi Kandel:
Quote from @Don Miller:

What you all went through on the islands was unbelievable.  Ive been impressed with the response, resiliency, and rebuild down there.  

@Don Miller Likewise! I think part of what keeps everyone pushing forward is see everyone else continue to roll up their sleeves and put the work in. Just like all aspects of life :) 

If you come across anyone needing help I created this website of free resources to share. A lot applies to FMB BUT it also applies to the surrounding areas. https://restorefmb.com/

User Stats

Votes
Ruchit Patel
  • Bay area, CA
Votes |
  • Bay area, CA
Replied Apr 16 2024, 20:36
Quote from @Don Miller:
Quote from @Ruchit Patel:

More recently, they estimated completion, June 1.  However historically (last September) they had estimated December of 2023, so we will see.

The pre construction appraisal was in the low 400s.  Recently I've seen a couple of these sell for 360k to 385k.

land purchase was about 40k.  Contract price was about 246k.  I've had a change order for 14k and anticipate another may come when the canal line is cleared. 

one of the biggest things has been holding costs with my particular loan product, plus multiple extensions with multiple extension fees

Thanks for sharing. Every penny draining your pocket for the things out of your control, sucks! absolutely sucks. I feel you. 

May the luck with me with you :) 

User Stats

Votes
Peter Davis
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Cape Coral, FL
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Cape Coral, FL
Replied Apr 19 2024, 14:06

You're a trooper @Don Miller for hanging in there. It hasn't been an easy ride for lots of folks building in Cape Coral over the past several years, but one silver lining is the property values have nearly doubled since Covid, though the market has cooled recently. 

John R Wood Properties Logo

User Stats

Votes
Jeff Cody
Pro Member
  • Wholesaler
  • Estero, FL
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Wholesaler
  • Estero, FL
Replied Apr 23 2024, 14:03

@Don Miller - I did a flip in Cape Coral around that same time and the permitting took 5 months as well.  I should have finished that flip in early Sept '22, but we basically just started around then, and then in late Sept '22 Hurricane Ian came through.  I needed a new roof and some more, but it could have been worse, many lost everything.  I lost money on that deal, but learned a ton.  Good luck finishing yours up!  Are you local?