Skip to content
Land & New Construction

User Stats

Votes

Finding Duplex/Triplex/Fourplex Zoned Land in Montgomery County PA

Posted Mar 15 2024, 15:15

I am finding land to build a ground-up duplex-quadplex in Montogomery County, PA. I have an investment arranged to build it sometime next year. Although I am doing ground-up for the first time, I have a lot of experience in county buying and holding for long-term asset building and cash flow. 

I am struggling to find land that is zoned for multi-family. Is there a strategy that I can apply to find land? 

User Stats

Votes
Stuart Udis
Pro Member
#1 Starting Out Contributor
  • Attorney
  • Philadelphia
Votes |
Pro Member
#1 Starting Out Contributor
  • Attorney
  • Philadelphia
Replied Mar 16 2024, 08:24

The municipalites you target will have zoning maps available on their municpality website. By way of example, I focus on land development opportunities in Philadelphia and the atlas website is very helpful. While most municipalities do not possess an interative map as easy to use, once you famiarlize yourself with the base zoning districts that allow the 2-4 unit buildings, relying on the local zoning maps will help direct you to the specific areas within the municipality that possesses the proper zoning. From there you can identify properties that possess the base zoning and characteristics you are seeking.

User Stats

Votes
Replied Mar 17 2024, 08:47

have you considered brooklyn ny? 

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Jamie Hora
  • Developer
  • San Antonio
Votes |
  • Developer
  • San Antonio
Replied Mar 18 2024, 07:10

If you are in City limits, almost all cities will have their zoning maps available online.  Also, ask if they have "future" land use maps.  For example, a city could be currently zoned Agriculture, but if the city has this area planned/expected to be MF by 2030, your chance for rezoning is much more favorable. 

However, you could look outside of city limits, and just within jurisdiction of the county, and avoid zoning restrictions altogether. Sometimes different challenges come with that (utility availability). 

User Stats

Votes
Jacob Sherman
Pro Member
#3 Rehabbing & House Flipping Contributor
  • 12 Penns Trail Suite 138 Newtown, PA 18940
Votes |
Pro Member
#3 Rehabbing & House Flipping Contributor
  • 12 Penns Trail Suite 138 Newtown, PA 18940
Replied Mar 19 2024, 17:19

Best to to find RM1 zoning in philly right now and build on that 

User Stats

Votes
Alan Asriants
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Philadelphia, PA
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Philadelphia, PA
Replied Mar 20 2024, 06:42

Incredibly difficult zoning process outside of the city. In montco i imagine that the best places to look for easier rezoning would be pottstown or norristown, but there is a pro and con to that as well. 

I have also been trying to find land to develop on. It is hard period in the suburbs...

User Stats

Votes
Replied Mar 20 2024, 07:43

Thank you, @Stuart Udis.

@Dylan Salant, I am based out of King of Prussia, PA, so I am mostly looking at Montogomery/Chester County. Is there a reason you are saying Booklyn NY

User Stats

Votes
Replied Mar 20 2024, 07:45

@Alan Asriants - You are correct. I am searching mainly in the Norristown area. I am also a first-time in ground-up construction in this country.