Votes
J Adams
  • San Diego, CA
Votes |
Development vs Construction

J Adams
  • San Diego, CA
Posted Jan 16 2015, 20:36

I am reading IRS Publication 925, "Passive Activity and At-Risk Rules". In Real property trades or businesses paragraph it lists development and construction as two separate trades. Scanning the forums, I do not see anybody touching this topic and I feel it would get a great response with all the potential in the forum space. 

Q: What is the difference between development and construction?

User Stats

Votes
Joshua Houchins
  • Real Estate Investor
  • Raleigh, NC
Votes |
  • Real Estate Investor
  • Raleigh, NC
Replied Jan 16 2015, 20:42

I consider myself a developer.  I hire a general contractor to do the work for me.  Developers develop property by buying the property having designers and architects draw up the plans then hire a general contractor who performs the construction side of the work.  So developer is the top of the food chain then comes the gc.

They are in the same ball park but not the position. 

Account Closed
  • Appraiser
  • Oak Park, IL
Votes |
  • Appraiser
  • Oak Park, IL
Replied Jan 16 2015, 20:47

Hi-In my circle, development is the drawing of lot lines and the  installation of utilities and streets. Construction is what happens on the lots that the developer has recorded.

KV

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
J Scott
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Sarasota, FL
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Sarasota, FL
ModeratorReplied Jan 17 2015, 00:38

Along with the above, I tend to think of development as what happens before construction starts...

User Stats

Votes
Mike Salisbury
  • Builder / Developer
  • Newnan, GA
Votes |
  • Builder / Developer
  • Newnan, GA
Replied Jan 17 2015, 03:09

Great Points above. One observation: A contractor is capped by the market place on how much he can charge ( maybe 20-25%) and still win bids.  A developer can make a 100% (or more) return.  More risk more reward.

Contractors become developers later in their careers but it rarely goes the other way.

User Stats

Votes
Ahmed Porter
Pro Member
  • Contractor
  • washington, Washington D.C.
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Contractor
  • washington, Washington D.C.
Replied Jan 17 2015, 04:10

I don't know about top of the food chain Joshua lol, we have alot of bottom feeder that get paid well also but have to agree with Scott the Developer has the deal before the contractor comes to the table . The GC are a critical part but not the first part and not the last part . The developer is form concept to finish that why his return is bigger but he takes more risk.Contracor the name says it all he is contracted out to do a major task for the developer. The developer is the one who develop the deal and see it threw from concept to finish .After Developer pays contractor property designer cost of capital minus expense etc he gets paid .Contract has a set pay based on bid and change orders for the project. 

User Stats

Votes
Keith Bloemendaal
  • Contractor
  • Carolina Beach, NC
Votes |
  • Contractor
  • Carolina Beach, NC
Replied Jan 17 2015, 07:09

I do both, but to me, development is "curb down", ie: roads, grading, clearing, utilities, stormwater, etc... construction is vertical construction, or "curb up". 

So if you buy a plot of land and subdivide into let's say 10 lots, get it ready to build on by installing the infrastructure, that's a developer to me, then a GC comes in and buys lots to build on. At least that is how it happens around here...

User Stats

Votes
Tejaswi Sharma
  • Mumbai, Maharashtra
Votes |
  • Mumbai, Maharashtra
Replied Sep 10 2017, 22:07

This essay argues that the polarization of our public debate over embryo-destructive research may be due, to a large extent, not to different valuations of individual human life but to different conceptions of the process of gestation, with one group treating the process as a making or construction and the other treating it as a development. These two incompatible models of reproduction are shown to explain the various positions commonly encountered in this debate over the treatment of embryos, and to a significant degree those encountered in the debate over abortion as well. Finally, the historical, theoretical, and intuitive strengths of each model are examined.