General Real Estate Investing
Account Closed
  • Texas
Votes |
Is a degree worth it?

Account Closed
  • Texas
Posted Feb 8 2013, 10:18

I should first start out with my situation/background.

I'm 18, currently in my 2nd semester of college studying Electrical Engineering. I am also really interested in real estate investing. I have been exposed to it by my dad, I've worked lots of summers and weekends on homes with my pops to fix them and sell them/rent them. I really want to do this immediately when I graduate school (3 & half years) from today. I'm studying Electrical Engineering, I really like it and I'm pretty sure I can get a job and decent salary out of school 65k+ and immediately start throwing as much as possible into investments(In an area where Home prices are lower than average in the U.S.). But is it worth it to waste my time now not making money ( school is too demanding to have a job at the same time), or to drop school find a job and save as much as I can living with my parents, then go in to real estate from there? I feel like I could get a head start taking the no-school option and since most people quit their jobs to do real estate investing full time eventually what's the point? So do you think the college degree is worth it? ( I think it would be helpful to say I would be graduating with zero debt since I'm on full ride scholarship as long as my GPA stays above 3.0)

Sorry if this is a childish question for biggerpockets or the wrong place to post, I've been reading alot here and was just looking advice from the people with experience here.

I just want to be really successful and make my mom and dad proud.

Loading replies...