Skip to content
Pro Members Get Full Access
Succeed in real estate investing with proven toolkits that have helped thousands of aspiring and existing investors achieve financial freedom.
$0 TODAY
$32.50/month, billed annually after your 7-day trial.
Cancel anytime
Find the right properties and ace your analysis
Market Finder with key investor metrics for all US markets, plus a list of recommended markets.
Deal Finder with investor-focused filters and notifications for new properties
Unlimited access to 9+ rental analysis calculators and rent estimator tools
Off-market deal finding software from Invelo ($638 value)
Supercharge your network
Pro profile badge
Pro exclusive community forums and threads
Build your landlord command center
All-in-one property management software from RentRedi ($240 value)
Portfolio monitoring and accounting from Stessa
Lawyer-approved lease agreement packages for all 50-states ($4,950 value) *annual subscribers only
Shortcut the learning curve
Live Q&A sessions with experts
Webinar replay archive
50% off investing courses ($290 value)
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 3 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
Personal Finance
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Jim Herbst
  • Investor
  • Powell, OH
Votes |
Contributing to 401k or 403b or ROTH vs. Saving for Down Payment on Investment Property

Jim Herbst
  • Investor
  • Powell, OH
Posted

I have been inspired by the podcasts and insight on BP and appreciate how a LONG-TERM buy and hold approach (my niche and strategy) can lead to quite significant 'passive' income streams over time. I also understand the importance of diversification and respect the long-term annualized rates of return in the stock market over the last 50+ years.

I suggest reading Lifestyles Unlimited's article on 'How 22 rental properties can retire you faster than a 401k' and their previous article on 'How 15 rental properties can retire you faster than a million dollar 401k'.

As fellow real estate investors, I was wondering how others approach this situation. Obviously the less you contribute to your 401k, the longer it takes to produce a down payment on your next investment property. Also, it's difficult to rationalize allocating funds to a retirement account which may yield 7-9% annualized when you could get 20% cash on cash in a rental property which also has the potential to appreciate.

Personally, I contribute 8% pre-tax to a 401k and I also get a company match. What are your strategies? Do you contribute the minimum to receive the company match (if offered)? Do you contribute nothing? Certainly, I understand that many may not have a company 401k to invest in at all (what are your retirement planning strategies). I am quite interested in people's strategies.

Loading replies...