Votes
Brandon S.
  • Naperville, IL
Votes |
Is there any way to expedite an eviction in Birmingham Alabama

Brandon S.
  • Naperville, IL
Posted Jun 26 2023, 16:54

I've been in the process of evicting a tenant in Jefferson County, Alabama since February. I am just waiting for the Sheriff to actually carry out the eviction. Has anyone else gone through this lately? I've heard from both my PM, and the court system that the Sheriff's office is backed up on evictions. I'm wondering if anyone has found a way to expedite?

User Stats

Votes
Brandon S.
  • Naperville, IL
Votes |
  • Naperville, IL
Replied Jun 26 2023, 17:04

Apologies, looks like it has been answered here

User Stats

Votes
Denise Evans
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Tuscaloosa, AL
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Tuscaloosa, AL
Replied Jun 26 2023, 17:35

There is no way. I'm sorry. Usually I can come up with creative solutions for people's challenges, but there is just no way around this particular one.

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Dan Portka
  • Real Estate Agent
  • San Pedro, CA
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • San Pedro, CA
Replied Jun 27 2023, 08:11

@Brandon S. @Denise Evans i'm having the same problem and will be putting in a complaint with the sheriff's office this week. They're months behind on executing writs. What has me worried is that since the eviction process is taking so much longer, many are turning to other options such as cash for keys which dont end up on a tenants record.. they end up moving and doing the same thing with the next house/landlord and we continue a perpetual cycle of non paying tenants. If this continues for awhile it doesn't bode well for Birmingham/Jeff County real estate, it will drive away investors. Somebody please tell me I'm crazy.

User Stats

Votes
Denise Evans
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Tuscaloosa, AL
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Tuscaloosa, AL
Replied Jun 27 2023, 11:40

@Dan Portka @Brandon S. First, there's not enough money in the budget to hire all the deputies they need to serve these things and Second, even for the ones they have money to hire, they can't find people to hire. Everybody has the same problem. Everybody in law enforcement has the same  problem as the rest of us, in spades. You can complain, but it won't do you any good.  EVEN IF they could find qualified candidates to hire, do you think the people of Jefferson County are going to vote to increase their ad valorem taxes so the Sheriff's department can hire more deputies to serve more eviction notices for so-called rich investors? It won't happen.  Maybe if there were a crime spree terrorizing the entire county, but I'm not even sure about that.

The bottom line, in business and in government is, "where is the money going to come from?"

Of course, one answer is to charge a very stout fee for each turnout order executed. Perhaps when you call, you can tell the department that you, and other investors, would not be opposed to THAT solution. It would be a lot cheaper than the rent you are losing right now.  I find that complaining usually falls on more receptive ears when a possible solution is also offered.

User Stats

Votes
Bryan Miles
Pro Member
  • Residential Real Estate Broker
  • Birmingham, AL
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Residential Real Estate Broker
  • Birmingham, AL
Replied Jun 28 2023, 05:37

I suggest cash for keys. It was mentioned there would be no eviction on their record. This is correct. What we have found is, most of the time they are leaving the house and yard in a condition that goes over the amount of their security deposit. If we cannot get them to pay what they owe in damages and back rent we send them to collections. The collection should follow them for a number of years and any pm or owner pulling a credit report should catch this. 

User Stats

Votes
Replied Mar 21 2024, 12:37

I just received a response from Seargent Orr with the Birmingham Sheriff's office and I were told that they are currently processing the ones that were submitted to their office in May of 2023.  Let's complain through Srate of Alabama and see if they can do something with this delay.