Votes
Brandon Malone
  • Gaithersburg, MD
Votes |
Should I allow this from a prospective tenant

Brandon Malone
  • Gaithersburg, MD
Posted Mar 19 2024, 15:12

I recently listed a property for rent. An agent that recently showed the property reached to stating that their client love the property but would like to know if the landlord would be okay with installing a gas line or gas stove either at their cost or landlord cost. At their cost, meaning they are willing to pay to have this done. Curious to know how you would handle this situation. Appreciate some feedback.

User Stats

Votes
Mike Dymski#5 Investor Mindset Contributor
  • Investor
  • Greenville, SC
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Greenville, SC
Replied Mar 19 2024, 15:42

I would rent to a good resident that was fine with the existing set up (particularly in a blue state).

User Stats

Votes
Matthew Paul#2 Contractors Contributor
  • Severna Park, MD
Votes |
  • Severna Park, MD
Replied Mar 19 2024, 16:15

That could be expensive , if you are tying in to natural gas at the street , 5 grand and up . more if they have to cross the road .  Now if its propane , the install will be cheaper , but propane is expensive and the companies can be hard to deal with 

Rental Home Council logo
Rental Home Council
|
Sponsored
Advocating for Single-Family Rental Housing Drive rental policy change. Protect your investments with a National Rental Home Council membership.

User Stats

Votes
Brandon Malone
  • Gaithersburg, MD
Votes |
  • Gaithersburg, MD
Replied Mar 19 2024, 16:33

@Matthew Paul The property already has a gas line to the house. It's mainly used for heating and the fireplace. This would be to run it to where the stove is. 

User Stats

Votes
Brandon Malone
  • Gaithersburg, MD
Votes |
  • Gaithersburg, MD
Replied Mar 19 2024, 16:34

@Mike Dymski - That's why I pose the question here. What else would they have issues with if they were moving in.Will they become nightmare demanding tenants?

User Stats

Votes
  • Investor
  • Greenville, SC
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Greenville, SC
Replied Mar 19 2024, 17:19
Quote from @Brandon Malone:

@Mike Dymski - That's why I pose the question here. What else would they have issues with if they were moving in.Will they become nightmare demanding tenants?

It's extra work, with no benefit to you...and possible issues going forward with more expense to replace and a movement away from anything gas, particularly in blue states.  Those are the primary issues rather than tenant demands.

User Stats

Votes
Andrew Syrios
Pro Member
  • Residential Real Estate Investor
  • Kansas City, MO
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Kansas City, MO
ModeratorReplied Mar 19 2024, 17:29

We generally don't negotiate on things like that with tenants (although, of course, we fix things that aren't working). From what I've seen, people tend to like electric stoves a bit more than gas so I wouldn't want to make this switch. I would say no. 

User Stats

Votes
Russell Brazil
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Washington, D.C.
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Washington, D.C.
ModeratorReplied Mar 19 2024, 17:31

I recently listed a property for rent. An agent that recently showed the property reached to stating that their client love the property but would like to know if the landlord would be okay with installing a gas line or gas stove either at their cost or landlord cost. At their cost, meaning they are willing to pay to have this done. Curious to know how you would handle this situation. Appreciate some feedback.

Hey....I live in Gaithersburg too.

and no, I would not install a gas line for a tenant even if they were paying.

District Invest Group Logo

User Stats

Votes
Matthew Paul#2 Contractors Contributor
  • Severna Park, MD
Votes |
  • Severna Park, MD
Replied Mar 19 2024, 17:55
Quote from @Andrew Syrios:

We generally don't negotiate on things like that with tenants (although, of course, we fix things that aren't working). From what I've seen, people tend to like electric stoves a bit more than gas so I wouldn't want to make this switch. I would say no. 

I find it the opposite .   Most people I know love the gas  stoves

User Stats

Votes
Scott Mac
  • Austin, TX
Votes |
  • Austin, TX
Replied Mar 19 2024, 18:01
Quote from @Matthew Paul:

The unit cooks with Electric- - take it or leave it.

User Stats

Votes
Bob Stevens
Pro Member
#2 General Landlording & Rental Properties Contributor
  • Real Estate Consultant
  • Cleveland
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Consultant
  • Cleveland
Replied Mar 19 2024, 18:03

Sure why not, most like gas, so they are doing you a favor, 

User Stats

Votes
Brandon Malone
  • Gaithersburg, MD
Votes |
  • Gaithersburg, MD
Replied Mar 19 2024, 18:53

Thank you all for the responses. I was tempted to allow it at their cost as long as I could verify and approve the company doing the work. However, ultimately I decided to go against this as it may set a precedent for them to continue to ask for more and more modifications. 

User Stats

Votes
Jack Seiden
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Washington DC
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Washington DC
Replied Mar 19 2024, 18:58

I had a tenant, ironically also in Gaithersburg (hope it’s not the same person because she was a pain in the *** lol) but she wanted a new carpet we paid half, she paid her half via us uppping the rent $50 over what it otherwise would have been, so that’s always a creative option, however I wouldn’t want gas at my property if I could avoid it, always a risk of a leak or worse so I’d probably lean towards saying no to this specific request.
  • Real Estate Agent Virginia (#0225260957), District of Columbia (#Sp40001090), and Maryland (#667710)

• Samson Properties
Samson Properties  Logo
BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Andrew Syrios
Pro Member
  • Kansas City, MO
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Kansas City, MO
ModeratorReplied Mar 20 2024, 07:28

I guess we run in different circles. Although, I should note, it's close from what I hear but also I don't think I've ever come across someone who loves either. (BBQ grills regarding charcoal or propane is a very different story though.)

User Stats

Votes
Andrew Syrios
Pro Member
  • Kansas City, MO
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Kansas City, MO
ModeratorReplied Mar 20 2024, 07:29
Quote from @Scott Mac:

The unit cooks with Electric- - take it or leave it.

Amen

User Stats

Votes
Replied Mar 20 2024, 08:20

Is this the only prospective tenant you've had while listing the unit for a while? Otherwise, I would have to say just say no and move on and wait for another applicant to come along. 

User Stats

Votes
Greg M.#4 General Landlording & Rental Properties Contributor
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Los Angeles, CA
Votes |
Greg M.#4 General Landlording & Rental Properties Contributor
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Los Angeles, CA
Replied Mar 20 2024, 11:30

However, ultimately I decided to go against this as it may set a precedent for them to continue to ask for more and more modifications. 

... at their cost. The horror!!! Next thing you know, they'll want to upgrade something else at their expense. Before you know it, the unit will be just like they want it, with upgrades at no cost to you, and they'll never want to move. You'll be stuck with a renter that wants to renew their lease. 

User Stats

Votes
Bob Stevens
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Consultant
  • Cleveland
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Consultant
  • Cleveland
Replied Mar 20 2024, 11:35

Of course you allow it, 

User Stats

Votes
Ned J.
  • Investor
  • Manteca, CA
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Manteca, CA
Replied Mar 20 2024, 13:36

There ya go...the best choice is as clear as mud :)....... 50% NO and 50% YES.....

Personal choice....... my choice would probably be NO. Although this is a "tenant will pay for it" - this time, this sets the precedent for other changes that they may want in the future. If I ever let a tenant make a change at their cost (very rare that I do), its made perfectly clear that they will not be reimbursed for it EVER. Lots of tenants will try to use it as leverage at a later date....when they leave and you dont give the full deposit back.....when they are late on a payment..... when they screw something up and you make them pay for the repair.  "Remember when I did XYZ and paid for it myself?"......Just not worth it.

I rent my place "as is".... you want something different? Find some place else.... I may accommodate a long term good tenant down the line.....but not on day 0...

User Stats

Votes
Alecia Loveless
Pro Member
Votes |
Pro Member
Replied Mar 20 2024, 14:11

@Brandon Malone Our insurance company frowns upon any tenant controlled gas in the units. Especially cooking stoves. This would be a big no unless it was a luxury home.

User Stats

Votes
Colleen F.
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Narragansett, RI
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Narragansett, RI
Replied Mar 20 2024, 19:27

@Brandon Malone the only reason to consider a tenant proposed upgrade is if you were planning to do it at some point anyway (and I am saying consider, not necessarily approve)

This isn't something I would do unless of course it is a high end property and there is essentially a chefs kitchen where the expectation would be a gas range. I don't think that is your case.