General Landlording & Rental Properties

User Stats

Votes
Ken M.
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Nationally
Votes |
NYC Homeowner Arrested For Changing Locks After Squatters Take Over.Time to leave NYC

Ken M.
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Nationally
Posted Mar 19 2024, 17:28

A woman who inherited a home in New York City full of people squatting illegally was arrested and led away in handcuffs after she changed the locks.

Adele Andaloro, 47, was placed under arrest at her $1 million home in Flushing, Queens.

As the Post further reports, this is the latest such incident - which comes weeks after a couple's plan to move into a $2 million home in Douglaston, Queens with their disabled son was derailed by a squatter who claimed to have an agreement with the previous owner.

In another incident, a squatter turned a Rockaways home into a 'house of horrors' with over a dozen emaciated cats and dogs trapped inside.

User Stats

Votes
Abel Curiel
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Queens, NY
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Queens, NY
Replied Mar 19 2024, 17:46
Quote from @Ken M.:

A woman who inherited a home in New York City full of people squatting illegally was arrested and led away in handcuffs after she changed the locks.

Adele Andaloro, 47, was placed under arrest at her $1 million home in Flushing, Queens.

As the Post further reports, this is the latest such incident - which comes weeks after a couple's plan to move into a $2 million home in Douglaston, Queens with their disabled son was derailed by a squatter who claimed to have an agreement with the previous owner.

In another incident, a squatter turned a Rockaways home into a 'house of horrors' with over a dozen emaciated cats and dogs trapped inside.

Super unfortunate. I love Queens and I love New York but some things here are so backwards.

It is WILD to look the other way from negative behavior and punish those who defend themselves and their possessions. Having "squatter rights" for NY residences is like having "shoplifter rights" in our stores.

In the article you referenced, they talk about the squatter showing up to court representing himself. I've fought similar situations in housing courts and this tactic can do 2 things: 1. Delay hearings and other court proceedings 2. Gain sympathy from the court/jurors as it is seen that the defendant cannot afford proper representation. 

Total BS but thats the way it goes in NY unfortunately... While cases like this are not as common as the media makes it seem, even 1 of these horror stories is too many.

Ok.. rant over... 

NY is still great but landlords need to:

- proceed with caution

- read Brandon Turner's books 

- implement strict requirements and systems for tenant screening and property management

• Real Estate Agent NY (#10401295960)

REbuild Team - eXp Realty Logo

User Stats

Votes
Mike Dymski#5 Investor Mindset Contributor
  • Investor
  • Greenville, SC
Votes |
Mike Dymski#5 Investor Mindset Contributor
  • Investor
  • Greenville, SC
Replied Mar 19 2024, 18:19
Quote from @Abel Curiel:
Quote from @Ken M.:

Super unfortunate. I love Queens and I love New York but some things here are so backwards.

It is WILD to look the other way from negative behavior and punish those who defend themselves and their possessions. Having "squatter rights" for NY residences is like having "shoplifter rights" in our stores.

In the article you referenced, they talk about the squatter showing up to court representing himself. I've fought similar situations in housing courts and this tactic can do 2 things: 1. Delay hearings and other court proceedings 2. Gain sympathy from the court/jurors as it is seen that the defendant cannot afford proper representation. 

Total BS but thats the way it goes in NY unfortunately... While cases like this are not as common as the media makes it seem, even 1 of these horror stories is too many.

Ok.. rant over... 

- proceed with caution

- implement strict requirements and systems for tenant screening and property management

Unfortunate is not the right word.  Intentional is the right word (in certain states).  And this stuff does happen a lot.  Lots of homeowners subsidized residents' rents during the eviction moron-atorium (while residents worked during historically low unemployment, and residents did not apply for available free rent because they did not need to).  We get what we allow.

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Abel Curiel
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Queens, NY
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Queens, NY
Replied Mar 19 2024, 18:30
Quote from @Mike Dymski:
Quote from @Abel Curiel:
Quote from @Ken M.:

Ok.. rant over... 

- proceed with caution

Unfortunate is not the right word.  Intentional is the right word (in certain states).  We get what we allow.

Well said... we get what we vote for.

To get a little off-topic... There is a story circulating about a group of criminals stealing in NY then going to different states (including FL) to spend the $ they're stealing up here. 

When asked why they don't just steal in FL, the criminals said (I'm paraphrasing) 'because in Florida, we would get arrested'.

• Real Estate Agent NY (#10401295960)

REbuild Team - eXp Realty Logo

User Stats

Votes
Ecaterina Katerina Morosan
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Miami, FL
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Miami, FL
Replied Mar 20 2024, 08:35

I live in a luxury building in Manhattan. My neighbor invited over a few friends after their dinner at a restaurant to his condo to chill and network. One of these "friends" never left the condo and lived there for 5 months payment free while the neighbor was paying all dues on time to avoid lawsuit against him from the association and management. The squatter was out 5 months later due to numerous assault cases towards the staff and my neighbor. Assault cases helped my neighbor get the condo back... not the eviction case. It can happen to any of us unfortunately!