Skip to content
Pro Members Get Full Access
Succeed in real estate investing with proven toolkits that have helped thousands of aspiring and existing investors achieve financial freedom.
$0 TODAY
$32.50/month, billed annually after your 7-day trial.
Cancel anytime
Find the right properties and ace your analysis
Market Finder with key investor metrics for all US markets, plus a list of recommended markets.
Deal Finder with investor-focused filters and notifications for new properties
Unlimited access to 9+ rental analysis calculators and rent estimator tools
Off-market deal finding software from Invelo ($638 value)
Supercharge your network
Pro profile badge
Pro exclusive community forums and threads
Build your landlord command center
All-in-one property management software from RentRedi ($240 value)
Portfolio monitoring and accounting from Stessa
Lawyer-approved lease agreement packages for all 50-states ($4,950 value) *annual subscribers only
Shortcut the learning curve
Live Q&A sessions with experts
Webinar replay archive
50% off investing courses ($290 value)
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 3 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
General Landlording & Rental Properties
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Curtis Harrison
  • Investor
  • Utah
Votes |
Small Claims Court, Property Management Company won't take responsibility

Curtis Harrison
  • Investor
  • Utah
Posted Dec 31 2014, 17:56

I hired a Property Management (PM) firm 5 years ago.  I've been paying them $135 per month for their 'services'.  Got an e-mail from zillow.com that my house was up for rent.  Contacted PM company and they tell me that the tenant has been gone for a week and they were going to start on the repair work.  I promptly fired the PM company for not telling me that the home was vacant, and for not finding me a new tenant before the home vacated.

So, 3 months later, I get served by the Tenants who are taking me and the PM to small claims court for $5000 to get their security deposit back.

0. Rental Agreement was signed by PM and Tenant, not by me.  Security deposit was held by the PM, not by me.

1.  PM said there was no move-in checklist, so all repairs could be taken out of the security deposit.

2. PM had their own people do all the repairs and charged tenants $2100 out of the $2700 security deposit.

3. PM did a walk through after the tenant vacated and did not involve me or the tenant in that walk through.

4. PM assured me that all these repairs would come out of the security deposit and would not be disputed since there was no move-in checklist from the tenant.

5. I FOUND THE Move-In checklist on the PM's website under my owner portal.  Told them where it was, and then when they looked, they found it too.  This is AFTER we got served for Small Claims court and after they completed all their repairs.

6. PM is willing to refund $300 in labor costs to the Tenant, but wants me to pay all the materials costs $375 for repairs I wouldn't have had done if I'd have known they weren't covered in the security deposit.

7. Tenants will settle for $2000, but PM will only pay $300 and they want me to pay the rest.

8. PM did not inform the tenant or me that the costs were going to be so high, and now they expect me to reimburse the tenant for the repairs that were done for pre-existing conditions that the PM fixed because the PM couldn't find the Move-In checklist.

Is the PM liable to the Tenant for a security deposit refund?

Do I (as the owner) have any liability towards the tenant or PM to pay for repairs done by the PM when they shouldn't have done the repairs in the first place?

Should I sue the PM for negligence, or wait for the outcome of the Small Claims court?

Should I encourage the Judge to hold the PM liable for all penalties in the Small Claims Court?

HELP !!!

Thanks for any and all advice,

Curtis

Loading replies...