• Rocky Hill, CT
Votes |
AirBnB and a vacation property

William Collins
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Rocky Hill, CT
Posted Jan 29 2015, 18:11

I have been debating buying an investment property for 2 different utilizations:  1 personal use during limited vacation time during the year, and 2 to AirBnB the building for other vacation use.  Has anyone bought/utilized a small multifamily property for this purpose?  What are your thoughts?

User Stats

Votes
Trevor Ewen
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Weehawken, NJ
Votes |
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Weehawken, NJ
Replied Jan 30 2015, 07:25

@William Collins 

There is a great article on the topic: here.

I have three opinions on the AirBnB market. Granted, I have never personally owned a property in that market, but I stay in many. I also live in an area where it's hotly debated.

1) Choose a location where the regulatory environment is not going to shut you down. Some friends in NYC bought/held two leases on condos to do this, now they don't have that option.

2) Conventional wisdom has suggested that you can't have your cake and eat it, too. If you want a vacation home for yourself, you usually have to buy it for that purpose. If it's for guests, you usually have to buy it for that purpose. The main reason is mindset switch. If it happens to be open a few off weekends of the year, you can obviously stay. But I would run and manage for maximum guest occupancy.

3) AirBnB has become fairly ubiquitous in many areas. As a result, supply has grown, and prices have fallen. We recently got a great place to ourselves in Center City, Philadelphia for $60/night. You want to find a place where demand is high but supply is still small.

User Stats

Votes
John Ma
  • Investor
  • Arlington, VA
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Arlington, VA
Replied Jan 30 2015, 09:13

I started using AirBNB a few years ago.  I'm pretty confident to say my my offering as had most number of guests in the metropolitain area.   

Here is my take on it- I feel like it is something transitory. the rules around it were very relaxed in the beginning, but now yo ucan see as it gains popularity, the govt wants to be involved in what you can/can't do. Its hard to say where it is going in the future.

I would look at it as utilizing AirBnB as another tool for your vacation rental, in addition to what other methods of vacation home renting you may have.

However, anything is possible if you make the numbers work!

BiggerPockets logo
Find, Vet and Invest in Syndications
|
BiggerPockets
PassivePockets will help you find sponsors, evaluate deals, and learn how to invest with confidence.

User Stats

Votes
William Collins
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Rocky Hill, CT
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Rocky Hill, CT
Replied Jan 30 2015, 18:02

@John Ma   You use Airbnb as part of your sales funnel for your vacation rental?  Do you have people repeat renting through Airbnb or convert to directly booking?

User Stats

Votes
John Ma
  • Investor
  • Arlington, VA
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Arlington, VA
Replied Jan 30 2015, 21:36

@willams Collins

it was not a vacation home. It was my "primary residence" for the couple  of years I lived in it. 

I did have repeated  guests every once in a while and would perform transactions outside of airbnb.