• Investor
  • Sterrett, AL
Votes |
How to collect back rent from someone on social security

Monty George
  • Investor
  • Sterrett, AL
Posted Apr 24 2015, 19:40

I've got an eviction going on a tenant for not paying rent. I just found out from my property manager that their income is really social security (yes I know I need a better property manager a they did not screen  very well) . My question is how can I collect from them - I don't think I can garnish their SS checks .

User Stats

Votes
Sue K.
  • San Jose, CA
Votes |
  • San Jose, CA
Replied Apr 24 2015, 20:27
Originally posted by @Monty George:

I've got an eviction going on a tenant for not paying rent. I just found out from my property manager that their income is really social security (yes I know I need a better property manager a they did not screen  very well) . My question is how can I collect from them - I don't think I can garnish their SS checks .

Their SS income is judgment proof - but only that income is.  Do they have any other income?  Savings accounts?

Would it be worth it to just agree with them to move out and leave the place clean and empty and undamaged - and you call it even and keep their security deposit?  Just to get them out?  They may go for that.  It's always worked for me.  I only had to kick out a few tenants over 8 years of managing, but they all moved out and left the place empty and relatively damage-free, by negotiating to let them out and call it even.

If you feel the need to try and collect from them, you could try hiring a collection agency.  If they care about their credit, you could go that route.  You don't even need a judgment according to these guys (I've never used one myself), and they have an option where you can just pay a flat fee of less than $20 for one collection letter and they then report the debt to all three bureaus.  They have more options up to paying them a percentage to aggressively attempt to collect

http://www.rentrecoveryservice.com/

I just googled "landlord collection agency."  A bunch popped up.

I'd start by negotiating to just get them out, and if no luck then have them evicted through the court process and use a collection agency to try to collect.

And by the way, tenants on SS aren't normally a problem.  If they passed screening otherwise, I wouldn't have expected the problem.

Wonder why they aren't using their guaranteed income to pay the rent.  That's weird.

User Stats

Votes
Al Williamson
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Sacramento, CA
Votes |
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Sacramento, CA
Replied Apr 24 2015, 20:43

@Monty George - blood from a turnip - right?

I've been in your shoes. I feel for you.

Cut your looses quick  - and count the loss toward your education.

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Bob B.
  • Investor
  • Jasper GA
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Jasper GA
Replied Apr 24 2015, 20:44

I'm curious why a tenant being on SS is a bad thing, if they can meet all your other requirements.

Account Closed
  • Kalamazoo, MI
Votes |
  • Kalamazoo, MI
Replied Apr 24 2015, 20:55

I agree Bob.  You have to be careful about discrimination issues here.  If they are on SSDI.  Or are they retired?  I don't think a landlord can just say we don't rent to people on social security, because that is essentially saying, we don't rent to people with disability.  

User Stats

Votes
Monty George
  • Investor
  • Sterrett, AL
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Sterrett, AL
Replied Apr 24 2015, 23:56

A tenant on Social security is not a bad thing- until they stop paying. Then is harder to collect from them because SS can't be garnished - 

User Stats

Votes
Bill Gulley#3 Guru, Book, & Course Reviews Contributor
  • Investor, Entrepreneur, Educator
  • Springfield, MO
Votes |
Bill Gulley#3 Guru, Book, & Course Reviews Contributor
  • Investor, Entrepreneur, Educator
  • Springfield, MO
Replied Apr 25 2015, 05:42

SS payments can't be garnished, but, if they have them deposited in a bank, that account can be IF they have comingled funds with any other money on deposits, they bank will know and likely abide by any judgment presented.

Generally, those on SS are good tenants and better not discriminate against their source of qualifying income. Good luck :)

User Stats

Votes
Steve Babiak
  • Real Estate Investor
  • Audubon, PA
Votes |
  • Real Estate Investor
  • Audubon, PA
Replied Apr 25 2015, 06:14
Originally posted by @Sue K.:

Wonder why they aren't using their guaranteed income to pay the rent.  That's weird.

Sometimes it's because they are still financially supporting their 35+ year old "adult" children ...

User Stats

Votes
Richard Dunlop
  • Investor
  • Detroit, MI
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Detroit, MI
Replied Apr 25 2015, 06:27
Originally posted by @Steve Babiak:
Originally posted by @Sue K.:

Sometimes it's because they are still financially supporting their 35+ year old "adult" children ...

Who doesn't dare work because it will ruin there chances to also get on SSDI!

Steve I added the line you left out.

User Stats

Votes
Steve Babiak
  • Real Estate Investor
  • Audubon, PA
Votes |
  • Real Estate Investor
  • Audubon, PA
Replied Apr 25 2015, 06:31

@Richard Dunlop - sometimes they aren't on SSDI, they are just on drugs ...

User Stats

Votes
Ken A.
  • Investor
  • Lake, FL
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Lake, FL
Replied Apr 25 2015, 06:45

The best loss, is the quick loss...

Account Closed
  • Investor
  • Baltimore, MD
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Baltimore, MD
Replied Apr 25 2015, 06:55

Dont waste your time.

User Stats

Votes
Bob B.
  • Investor
  • Jasper GA
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Jasper GA
Replied Oct 12 2017, 15:41

The OP is questing someone on Social Security, not SSI.

There are 62 million people collecting social security.  By refusing to rent to one of them you are missing a large part of the rental market.  I rent to them if they have a good credit and a good rental history as long as they meet income requirements.  At least they won't get fired or laid off.

BiggerPockets logo
Find, Vet and Invest in Syndications
|
BiggerPockets
PassivePockets will help you find sponsors, evaluate deals, and learn how to invest with confidence.

User Stats

Votes
Gail K.
  • Augusta, GA
Votes |
  • Augusta, GA
Replied Oct 13 2017, 04:14

Bob B makes a good point.

The concern about not being able to garnish Social Security wages seems rather moot to begin with.  Even if one is in a state where bank garnishment is allowed, a landlord would need to know not only the former tenants bank but their account and routing number in order to continue with the request for garnishment.

This information is, of course, on every check a tenant may provide.  It would be useful for a landlord to note this information in the tenants file should it become necessary to use it in the future.  Of course this doesn't mean when the time comes the tenant will have a penny left in their account.  It also isn't helpful for those tenants who pay rent with cash or money orders.

I did do bank garnishment on my very first tenants who skipped out and took all the "valuable" stuff (silk flowers) but left unimportant things such as bank statements behind.  Unfortunately, these statements belonged to one who was receiving social security on a dead husband.   I did receive some funds but just enough to cover my court filing costs.

Gail

User Stats

Votes
Replied Jun 29 2019, 13:41

Ah, I see. Monty George wants to screen better to eliminate approving tenants on SS/SSDI, etc. The comments here are a window into the property management/landlord business. SS/SSDI people are on drugs? Great comment there! Equal Housing Law violations being proposed here right and left. 

I am a disabled veteran and receive both VA Disability and SSDI. I don't have a job to lose, which makes me a better tenant than many working folks. I'm over 60, and for the first time in my long life of renting, I'm going to be letting my landlord know I will be leaving. I'll give 30 days notice, but it will be before my lease is up. My tenant right to peaceful and quiet enjoyment of the property is being violated, and I have photos, videos and sound recordings to prove it. I expect some noise, that is normal in community living. I have a good relationship with my landlord, and I hate to let him down but I have to go. It's a much bigger hassle for ME than for HIM! He can re-rent my studio well before he goes through my deposit he'll be able to keep, while I must try to find a place on what is low income for my area of Colorado. It's not always about landlords or prop managers, it's about tenants rights not being observed and respected. Not everyone is out to rip you off.

I used to be a property manager, I know the hassles and headaches very well. I have a sterling rental record up to now, and I hope my landlord will be agreeable, but if not I have all the proof I need that I can show to anyone that my environment was not peaceful or quiet. 

Shame on all of you who are belittling those on disability. You're the landlords and prop managers of nightmares, and there are so many of you out there.