• Investor
  • Redondo Beach, CA
Votes |
Would you rent to these tenants?

Ken Cooper
  • Investor
  • Redondo Beach, CA
Posted Jun 30 2015, 19:38

I am getting close to closing on my first rental property! It is out of state and I have a property manager handling the details for me.  They informed me that they had an applicant that they liked, and that wants to move in July 2nd.  I asked for some information on them.  When I Googled their names the first thing that comes up is an arrest for possession of Marijuana.  It didn't come up in the background check, because it was not a conviction.  So, Would you rent to these tenants? #askBP

Ken

User Stats

Votes
Eric D.
  • Investor
  • Eagan, MN
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Eagan, MN
Replied Jul 9 2015, 19:52
Originally posted by @Chris K.:
Originally posted by @Kimberly T.:

I'd probably be more worried about them being 21 than the arrest.

That sounds like discrimination based on age, which is illegal.

There isnt a state in the USA where being aware of someones age is illegal or discrimination. Not renting to them based on their age would be illegal.

Actually, here in St Paul MN, you cannot discriminate against age.  I am sure there are other cities like that too.  It's best to avoid it and look for a more solid screening approach.

User Stats

Votes
Brian Tremaine
  • Investor
  • San Jose, CA
Votes |
  • Investor
  • San Jose, CA
Replied Jul 9 2015, 19:57

The pot possession is not a bigee. I'd be more interested in their prior history of renting. Have they rented before? What do the previous landlords say. Also, how stable is their income and do they both work? Being 21 they may be inclined to party a lot; that could be a problem.

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Chris K.
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Baltimore, MD
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Baltimore, MD
Replied Jul 9 2015, 20:01
Originally posted by @Eric D.:
Originally posted by @Kimberly T.:

I'd probably be more worried about them being 21 than the arrest.

That sounds like discrimination based on age, which is illegal.

There isnt a state in the USA where being aware of someones age is illegal or discrimination. Not renting to them based on their age would be illegal.

Actually, here in St Paul MN, you cannot discriminate against age.  I am sure there are other cities like that too.  It's best to avoid it and look for a more solid screening approach.

Thats why I said... "Not renting to them based on their age would be illegal". 

User Stats

Votes
Ken Cooper
  • Investor
  • Redondo Beach, CA
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Redondo Beach, CA
Replied Jul 10 2015, 09:24

We are getting a larger deposit.  Credit is good, as is work history. I should also add that this property was purchased and is being managed by a turn key company. 

User Stats

Votes
Richard Vang
  • Real Estate Investor
  • Carmichael, CA
Votes |
  • Real Estate Investor
  • Carmichael, CA
Replied Jul 10 2015, 11:09

I have a friend who was rejected from a job application because of a criminal records that show up in the background check. It turns out that there is an error, another person with the exact same name that has that records. 

If the background report can make mistake, I would say "google" sometimes just show all records with names. So, double check everything with more detailed infor like ssn, birthdate, etc.