• Investor
  • Indiana, PA
Votes |
Rental Applications-What do you use?

Emily Du Plessis
  • Investor
  • Indiana, PA
Posted Jul 19 2015, 11:45

I'm looking to find out some information about what types of rental applications landlords are using.  Do you get them from a site on the web, create your own? What do you do about properties you manage from a distance? Are you scanning and faxing applications back and forth to tenants/applicants?  Thanks in advance for your help. 

User Stats

Votes
Joshua Diaz
Pro Member
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Bronx, NY
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Bronx, NY
Replied Jul 30 2015, 22:34

well I do not have any experience in his currently but I am also interested in the buy and hold aspect of real estate.   I can't speak for what forms are used specifically but as far as long distance goes I believe there are websites that can take care of that electronically.  I now just did a Google search for "rental applications done online" and got a few different sites.  I'm not sure if I'm allowed to put those addresses here but I will say they were the first few results near the top.  Though I am also curious if there are any specific sites people recommend

User Stats

Votes
Elizabeth Colegrove
  • Hanford, CA
Votes |
  • Hanford, CA
Replied Jul 30 2015, 22:58

We use buildium and love them. Very worth the money.

Steadily logo
Steadily
|
Sponsored
America’s best-rated landlord insurance nationwide Quotes online in minutes. Single-family, fix n’ flips, short-term rentals, and more. Great prices.

User Stats

Votes
Joshua Diaz
Pro Member
  • Bronx, NY
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Bronx, NY
Replied Jul 31 2015, 00:27

@Elizabeth Colegrove

Awesome!  I'll def look that one up.  Thanks so much!

User Stats

Votes
Shane H.
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Wichita, KS
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Wichita, KS
Replied Jul 31 2015, 06:32

@Joshua Diaz

I second Elizabeth's endorsement of Buildium - have used it for 5 years now and love it.  You can custom make your own rental app through their site.  Great accounting features, online payments, financial reports and great customer service.

User Stats

Votes
George P.
  • Property Manager
  • Livonia, MI
Votes |
  • Property Manager
  • Livonia, MI
Replied Jul 31 2015, 06:47

we have created our own after tweaking and borrowing content from 5-10 applications that we obtained through various sources (agents, websites, attorneys).

i think you can download it from my website too. i dont like the spacing (too small), but you can at least see the information that we ask. it's really basic, actually. why pay if you can make your own in 30 mins?

User Stats

Votes
Joshua Diaz
Pro Member
  • Bronx, NY
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Bronx, NY
Replied Jul 31 2015, 07:11

@George P. 

Hey there!  Thank you for the tip!  I checked out your site and the download you mentioned looks simpler than i thought it would be.  I appreciate the help!

User Stats

Votes
Jassem A.
  • Investor
  • Pennsylvania
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Pennsylvania
Replied Jul 31 2015, 07:32

I keep my application short and to the point so that there is a better chance they will actually fill it out.  I allow them to take a picture of the completed application and send it to me over text.  Here it is.  

I don't charge a processing fee.  I call their previous landlord and their employer most times and also look to see if they have any prior evictions on the court website.  I'll also verify income before lease signing most times.

User Stats

Votes
George P.
  • Property Manager
  • Livonia, MI
Votes |
  • Property Manager
  • Livonia, MI
Replied Jul 31 2015, 07:34

if they don't bother filling it out,  we don't bother processing it. 

User Stats

Votes
Jeff Blanchard
  • App Designer
  • Chicago, IL
Votes |
  • App Designer
  • Chicago, IL
Replied Jul 31 2015, 07:38

I use my own site to receive applications (and convert leads to active leases), but RocketLease is a good standalone app for thorough info processing and background checks.

User Stats

Votes
Emily Du Plessis
  • Investor
  • Indiana, PA
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Indiana, PA
Replied Jul 31 2015, 07:47

thanks for all of the feedback. We actually ended up creating our own as well.  It has been really awesome because everything is automated and it integrates with things like Google Drive and dropbox.  I will definitely check out Some of the ones mentioned! 

User Stats

Votes
Jassem A.
  • Investor
  • Pennsylvania
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Pennsylvania
Replied Jul 31 2015, 07:56

An automated system for tenant screening is great for high-demand A/B areas that have a high rent price because there is a need to be much more picky and it's more common for applicants to have an understanding of technology.  For C/D areas, I prefer to keep it short and simple so that I can get someone in there before the copper thieves show up.

User Stats

Votes
Damon Duperre
  • Investor
  • Fort Worth, TX
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Fort Worth, TX
Replied Aug 4 2015, 01:24

I use the standard TREC (Texas Real Estate Commision) application because it is intrusive enough but tenants really can't say it is too intrusive since it is the official TREC application.

PropStream logo
PropStream
|
Sponsored
Nationwide property data Use our robust, multi-sourced data to find off-market properties and close your next deal.