Cat Urine & Hardwood Floors

Cat Urine & Hardwood Floors

Property Manager · Passaic, NJ · Member since 2008 · 369 posts · 83 votes

This is my first apartment where the cat urine went thru the carpeting into the flooring. Ripped out the carpet & we are refinishing the floors soon. Anything I can do to get rid of the smell without tearing up the flooring??

0Reply
20 views

Most Popular Reply

Real Estate Investor · Audubon, PA · Member since 2009 · 13k+ posts · 8k+ votes
16y

You can find a collection of BP links on pet urine at this thread:
http://www.biggerpockets.com/forums/67/topics/48302-dealing-with-pet-urine-in-plywood-subfloor

See this reply in the discussion

3 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Real Estate Investor · Longmont, CO · Member since 2009 · 208 posts · 109 votes
    16y

    Hi Ingrid, I would look into renting or buying an ozone generator - I've been looking for a good deal on a heavy duty used one on Craig's list (I use a search bot for this) and plan to use it on rehabs/rentals and make it available to members of my REIA.

    Ozone in sufficient quantity is supposed to be very effective at removing odors and killing mold.

    another cheaper option might be the enzyme odor eater stuff they sell in pet stores - I remember it being very effective on an expensive couch my parents had that a cat peed on..it's a clear liquid

  • Member since 2009 · 499 posts · 117 votes
    16y

    you could also TRY lime,like they chalk ball fields with

  • Real Estate Investor · Audubon, PA · Member since 2009 · 13k+ posts · 8k+ votes
    16y

    You can find a collection of BP links on pet urine at this thread:
    http://www.biggerpockets.com/forums/67/topics/48302-dealing-with-pet-urine-in-plywood-subfloor

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.