Real Estate Broker · Canton, GA · Member since 2010 · 15k+ posts · 11k+ votes
14y
It depends on what you are using it for.
Are you buying carpet for your home??
Carpet for a flip?? If so what price range??
Carpet for a new rental building?? OR and Older one??
Does the tenant expect crown molding and plush carpet for a high rent rate area or do you need to put in carpet that stands up to use and abuse??
What you pay with labor will depend on if for instance one of my units still has a good pad and tack and strip then I just pay for carpet and installation cost.
What you will pay will also depend on how much you are installing at one time.
I don't like Berber for rentals.The design of the loop once it starts unraveling it can unwind pretty good an dis harder to get certain stains and pet stuff out of it.
With carpet you want a Nylon carpet even if the cheaper version.Some carpet guys will try to sell you the rubber composite carpet stuff which is the really cheap stuff so it will stand up to tenant abuse.
The problem is it can only be cleaned usually up to one time and then you need to replace it again.
So I would rather get a cheaper nylon that can be re-cleaned many times over after installation for an additional .10 to .15 a sq ft extra than the super cheap stuff I will have to replace again.
If you get 1 sq ft for carpet,pad,tack and strip,and labor install and it is Nylon you are getting one heck of a deal.
Even at a carpet place usually you are at .40 to .50 for the pad and .50 to .60 for a cheap carpet.Then you have to do material to install and labor.
I have seen sometimes if you have to do a small area you can pick up quality remnant pieces for real cheap and hit that type of number or buy in bulk.
Real Estate Broker · Canton, GA · Member since 2010 · 15k+ posts · 11k+ votes
14y
It depends on what you are using it for.
Are you buying carpet for your home??
Carpet for a flip?? If so what price range??
Carpet for a new rental building?? OR and Older one??
Does the tenant expect crown molding and plush carpet for a high rent rate area or do you need to put in carpet that stands up to use and abuse??
What you pay with labor will depend on if for instance one of my units still has a good pad and tack and strip then I just pay for carpet and installation cost.
What you will pay will also depend on how much you are installing at one time.
I don't like Berber for rentals.The design of the loop once it starts unraveling it can unwind pretty good an dis harder to get certain stains and pet stuff out of it.
With carpet you want a Nylon carpet even if the cheaper version.Some carpet guys will try to sell you the rubber composite carpet stuff which is the really cheap stuff so it will stand up to tenant abuse.
The problem is it can only be cleaned usually up to one time and then you need to replace it again.
So I would rather get a cheaper nylon that can be re-cleaned many times over after installation for an additional .10 to .15 a sq ft extra than the super cheap stuff I will have to replace again.
If you get 1 sq ft for carpet,pad,tack and strip,and labor install and it is Nylon you are getting one heck of a deal.
Even at a carpet place usually you are at .40 to .50 for the pad and .50 to .60 for a cheap carpet.Then you have to do material to install and labor.
I have seen sometimes if you have to do a small area you can pick up quality remnant pieces for real cheap and hit that type of number or buy in bulk.
Investor · Sarasota, FL · Member since 2008 · 17k+ posts · 17k+ votes
14y
Originally posted by Joel Owens:
If you get 1 sq ft for carpet,pad,tack and strip,and labor install and it is Nylon you are getting one heck of a deal.
Joel,
Don't forget, you're less than an hour away from where the bulk of the carpet is made in this country (Dalton, GA).
I buy from a supplier up there and pay between $3.50 and $3.99 per yard for 26-30 ounce nylon carpet. I pay $1.59 per yard for 6 pound pad. And I pay $3.50 per yard for installation.
Total, that's about $9 per square yard, or about $1 per square foot. Assume 10% waste for flooring material and tax, and I pay about $1.15/sf for carpet installed, on average.
The supplier I use delivers to anywhere in the Atlanta metro area for a $75 trip charge.
Investor · San Ramon, CA · Member since 2011 · 1k+ posts · 569 votes
14y
Originally posted by Joel Owens:
With carpet you want a Nylon carpet even if the cheaper version.Some carpet guys will try to sell you the rubber composite carpet stuff which is the really cheap stuff so it will stand up to tenant abuse.
The problem is it can only be cleaned usually up to one time and then you need to replace it again.
So I would rather get a cheaper nylon that can be re-cleaned many times over after installation for an additional .10 to .15 a sq ft extra than the super cheap stuff I will have to replace again.
Thanks Joel, I need to buy Carpet on Friday and found that educational. Wonder where I can find some Black Friday deals on that :)
Electrical Contractor · both, Maine & Florida · Member since 2011 · 129 posts · 53 votes
14y
I've been putting in Home Depot cheap laminate flooring they sell at 68 cents a sq ft. with foam pad it comes out to 72 cents. My wife and myself can do a bedroom in 3 hours. If you have carpentry skills, its more fun than installing carpet! I haven't had any longer than 3.5 years, but its great so far!
Investor · Statewide, MO · Member since 2011 · 814 posts · 425 votes
14y
Dick! Where do you get the pad so cheap?
Carpet? The worst thing to put in a rental if you can avoid it. I have tried allure, it's a big hit with landlords that I know.. I was disappointed with it. Have recently installed the .68/ft laminate at home depot on 2 jobs. Goes in fairly easily and is cheaper than carpet by far. Also, there's a better chance it will survive the first tenant. Carpet has never, with one exception, been able to last longer than one tenant for me. I avoid it wherever possible.
Real Estate Broker · Canton, GA · Member since 2010 · 15k+ posts · 11k+ votes
14y
Also, any recommendation on 6 lb vs 8 lb pads?
Some will go with a nicer pad and a cheaper carpet.The nicer pad makes the carpet FEEL more expensive to the tenant when they walk on it.A great pad also resists wear and tear and if you need to replace the carpet the pad usually can be used again.
Used to you would put a plastic membrane in between the carpet and pad to protect the pad but the plastic would slide and make noise sometimes.
Now they have pads with built in protection.You are not looking for the cheapest product but the best VALUE for what you pay.It depends on the area and what kind of tenants and rent base you are working with.
Multi-family Investor · Victoria, British Columbia · Member since 2010 · 22 posts · 5 votes
14y
I stopped using carpets in my rentals a long time ago. Nobody wants carpets these days except sometimes in the bedroom. I now use laminate floors and I get a great response from renters. Laminate can be bought for comparable price to carpets.
Developer · Garland, TX · Member since 2008 · 8k+ posts · 4k+ votes
14y
Originally posted by Martin Syrovatka:
I stopped using carpets in my rentals a long time ago. Nobody wants carpets these days except sometimes in the bedroom. I now use laminate floors and I get a great response from renters. Laminate can be bought for comparable price to carpets.
Martin, I agree and use a lot of laminate, but am starting to use carpet in just the bedrooms.
Residential Real Estate Broker · Grand Blanc, MI · Member since 2008 · 885 posts · 316 votes
14y
I pay $12 for a yard installed for carpet and pad. This includes tack strip, if necessary. And that's for six lb pad. $3 per yard of that is for installation.
I always go with the same California Berber for each one of my flips. I would never put this carpet in a rental. Rentals get laminate flooring throughout the house.
Specialist · Cleveland, OH · Member since 2011 · 1k+ posts · 852 votes
14y
Jon,
Not sure if they are in your area, but I use Sherwin Williams. I know it sounds crazy, but they are a little less than 10 bucks per yard installed! :mrgreen:
Developer · Garland, TX · Member since 2008 · 8k+ posts · 4k+ votes
14y
Originally posted by Rob Gillespie:
Jon,
Not sure if they are in your area, but I use Sherwin Williams. I know it sounds crazy, but they are a little less than 10 bucks per yard installed! :mrgreen:
I had no idea they do carpet. Do they sell other flooring?
Specialist · Cleveland, OH · Member since 2011 · 1k+ posts · 852 votes
14y
Originally posted by Jon Klaus:
Originally posted by Rob Gillespie:
Jon,
Not sure if they are in your area, but I use Sherwin Williams. I know it sounds crazy, but they are a little less than 10 bucks per yard installed! :mrgreen:
I had no idea they do carpet. Do they sell other flooring?
Yes! I was in shock too! they do ceramic, laminate, carpet, etc.. The thing I like about them is that they are one source for me to beat up on when they guys don't show up. They have multiple guys to dispatch. the quality is good too. I do not know if they offer that everywhere, but they do in the Cleveland market. :mrgreen:
Developer · Garland, TX · Member since 2008 · 8k+ posts · 4k+ votes
14y
Originally posted by Dick M.:
Sounds like 25 cents a foot to me, but they told me there wouldn't be any math.
Thanks Jon
I thought I'd been doing laminate for 72 cents a square foot! But at .93 I'll still keep doing it!!
Yeah, laminate is still a great bang for the buck. I look for the kind with the pad already attached on clearance. It costs more, but installs fast and is typically better quality.
Involved In Real Estate · Warwick, NY · Member since 2010 · 18 posts · 5 votes
14y
If you go to Home Depot or Lowes you will get the quality you pay for. Cheap carpet is not so good, expensive carpet is better - LOL. If you go just about anywhere else, NEVER, never ever pay the list price. Buying carpet is like buying a car. Unfortunetly you must negotiate and haggle on price, else you paid too much!
Multi-family Investor · Morton Grove, IL · Member since 2011 · 59 posts · 8 votes
14y
When we rehabbed, we pulled up all carpets and found that the old wood floors could be sanded/polished/waxed ,so I then hired someone to sand/polish/wax the floors in all rooms and they turned out beautifully. Tenants really liked the hardwood floors and put down their own area rugs.
Indianapolis, IN · Member since 2008 · 244 posts · 36 votes
14y
I have laminate in my home, the dog urinated in the same area for a few years causing bubbling at the seems a little bit. If it's a rare occurence and is cleaned quick, the floor should be fine.
Real Estate Investor · Virginia, DC &, MD · Member since 2008 · 261 posts · 71 votes
14y
One important part of the purchase of carpeting for you flip/rental is the cost of the carpet. But the hidden back end costs lurk in the installation fees for padding, stairs and overall install costs. Stairs can be $8 each plus replacing the existing padding will drive the end costs up. Lowes and Home Depot always are running promotions for $75 for whole house labor.