Providing tenants with references?

Providing tenants with references?

Real Estate Investor · College Station, TX · Member since 2011 · 105 posts · 18 votes

Does anyone offer to provide references of current or past tenants to prospective tenants? I treat my tenants well and some of them would give me a great reference. Looking for anything that may give me an edge over my competition. Anything to watch out for in doing this?

0Reply
30 views

7 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Real Estate Agent · Ivor, VA · Member since 2011 · 73 posts · 21 votes
    14y

    I would not offer. References are something the tenant needs to provide bot the landlord. The property is your reference.

  • Investor · Louisville, KY · Member since 2011 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    14y

    I agree, no need to supply references. How is the tenant going to know that it isn't your crazy uncle or your sister-in-law that you've sent their way to give you a glowing review?

    I think the best thing to do is let the property speak for itself and always be polite and cordial when showing the property or fielding calls/emails on it.

  • Real Estate Investor · Fort Worth, TX · Member since 2010 · 6 posts · 1 vote
    14y

    I agree as well. To me, the property, terms, application screening process, and marketing will do all the talking that is necessary to find you great tenants.

  • Lender · Tyngsboro, MA · Member since 2009 · 3k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    14y

    I find tenants that have any sense at all are impressed by the condition and cleanliness of the units, and my professional conduct. They know the difference between a landlord who pays attention to detail and takes care of business, and one who doesnt. The ones who are scared off are the ones who are looking for someone to scam, and I'm fine with that.

    Advertising that you require references and credit checks gets rid of most of the poor prospects.

  • Developer · Garland, TX · Member since 2008 · 8k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    14y

    My prospective tenants have never asked me for references. If they did, and were well qualified, I'd give references.

    It's amazing to me that some tenants have terrible experiences with landlords and don't think to check out their new landlord and property manager. It's your home, do your due diligence!

  • Real Estate Investor · Audubon, PA · Member since 2009 · 13k+ posts · 8k+ votes
    14y

    I have two references with me: a Certificate of Occupancy and my rental license (marked as paid for the year). Of course, the code enforcement official who has sent renters to me probably put in a good word too ...

    If I had to, I could let them speak with one of my tenants too.

    But this has never arisen,

  • Homeowner · Burleson, TX · Member since 2008 · 756 posts · 376 votes
    14y

    Treating my rentals as a business, I actually have a customer that has posted a reference for me on my Yahoo business page. Also I have linked to it on my own business website. It didn't cost me anything and I figure it might be the edge to get the best resident in my rentals.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.