Votes
Daniel Miller
  • Fremont, CA
Votes |
credit-report issues

Daniel Miller
  • Fremont, CA
Posted Oct 18 2012, 12:23

One thing that was awkward about researching that family last weekend, was that when I pulled the lady's credit report using MySmartMove, it *only* gave me her credit info, not the husband's, nor the family's.

That's going to be even more important when I'm looking at this new family that owns their own business... if there *is* a financial anomaly in their history, it may only show up in one of their records. I have a sense that I may need to pay for two separate credit reports in this case...

I haven't heard anyone here talking about pulling multiple credit reports when they research a family with multiple members; do you just assume that one credit report will give you complete information? Or *have* you sometimes been pulling multiple reports, and just haven't mentioned it in discussions?

User Stats

Votes
Bienes Raices
  • Orlando, FL
Votes |
  • Orlando, FL
Replied Nov 4 2012, 05:48
Originally posted by Christine Babb:
Just an FYI - I went through the verification process w/ Mr. Landlord a couple days ago. My "office" (desk, laptop, printer, shredder and file cabinet) is in my bedroom; it wasn't an issue with the guy who did the on site inspection.

I agree--unless you live in a studio apartment, you will probably be able to get your site approved if you follow their guidelines. Call the credit check co. and explain your situation and they may be able to work with you.

User Stats

Votes
Christine Babb
  • Real Estate Investor
  • Portland, ME
Votes |
  • Real Estate Investor
  • Portland, ME
Replied Nov 4 2012, 08:10

Basically, they just wanted me to prove that I could securely store the credit report information after receiving it. He didn't bother looking at any of my documents (purchase & sale agreement, mortgage, leases with my current tenants, etc.) that would have demonstrated a legitimate need to run credit checks, which surprised me.

It was a rather silly exercise - though I have a locking file cabinet (which the investigator photographed), that's not where I store my rental property info. He was supposed to call my phone number while at the business location to see that it rang there (he didn't, he just pointed to my cell phone on the dining room table and said "Well, there's your phone.").

The investigator told me about another person he interviewed who had to have his wife run out an purchase a shredder to photograph for the inspection, still in the box. Lucky for me I haven't tossed out the broken one that I have. :-)

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes