• San Diego, CA
Votes |
Fire extinguisher care in your state

Edita D.
  • Investor
  • San Diego, CA
Posted Dec 8 2012, 18:52

Hey guys!
Is there a law in your state obligating you as a property owner to check on fire extinguisher at the rental property?

User Stats

Votes
Rob K.
  • Investor
  • Southeast, MI
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Southeast, MI
Replied Dec 8 2012, 20:13

I put a fire extinguisher in each house. I have rentals in six different cities. Only one of them requires a fire extinguisher. They mandate that it be a 210 type, which is the larger size with the hose on it. Last time I bought one, they were $40 at HD and $30 at Lowes for a different looking one.

In the cities that don't require one, I put in the small ABC type that HD sells for about $18. One day, I was at Sam's Club and they had the same kind that I buy in a two pack for $20. I bought all of them.

I highly recomend having one at your rental, whether it's required or not. You never know when one will be needed. When I was a teenager, there was a fire in the basement and I was able to put it out with the fire extinguisher that we had. I now have one on each floor of my house and all of my cars. I look at it as a spare tire or a gun. When you need it, you need it right now.

User Stats

Votes
Al Williamson
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Sacramento, CA
Votes |
  • Sacramento, CA
Replied Dec 8 2012, 20:39

It's required here in Sacramento CA for my 8plex. I used to put a small one in each of my units but now I maintain and recharge 2 large extinguishers in common hallways. I opted for having paperwork showing I was properly observing fire codes.

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Kyle J.
  • Northern, CA
Votes |
  • Northern, CA
Replied Dec 8 2012, 21:12

It's not required in my area for single family homes. However, like Rob pointed out, it's still a good idea.

With multi-family type properties, the state fire code does mandate that you have them if your property consists of 5 units or more.

User Stats

Votes
Kyle Meyers
  • Residential Landlord
  • Indianapolis, IN
Votes |
  • Residential Landlord
  • Indianapolis, IN
Replied Dec 9 2012, 08:23

They are not required for my units, but I put a small one in each unit just in case.