NEW: BP Podcast 66: Flips, Apartments, & Protecting Yourself From Professional Tenants with Michael Blank

Hide this

From the BiggerPockets Blog

BiggerPockets Blog »

Jump to Forum View All

Click a category below to view different forum categories.

BiggerPockets

General Info

BiggerPockets Q&A, Site Questions, & Announcements

1515 topics, 14405 posts — Last Post 04/19/14, 01:28PM

BiggerPockets Exclusive PRO Area

117 topics, 839 posts — Last Post 04/18/14, 05:47AM

New Member Introductions

10893 topics, 85674 posts — Last Post 04/19/14, 03:01PM

Real Estate Success Stories

396 topics, 6160 posts — Last Post 04/19/14, 02:38PM

General Real Estate

General Real Estate

Buying & Selling Real Estate

5941 topics, 46812 posts — Last Post 04/19/14, 02:21PM

Renters

643 topics, 5817 posts — Last Post 04/19/14, 09:29AM

Get Foreclosure Help - Help Stop Foreclosure Forum

316 topics, 2557 posts — Last Post 04/16/14, 03:58AM

Home Owner Association (HOA) Issues & Problems Forum

237 topics, 1609 posts — Last Post 04/17/14, 08:53AM

Do it Yourself

654 topics, 6265 posts — Last Post 04/19/14, 10:16AM

Reviews & Feedback

Real Estate Deal Analysis and Advice

3683 topics, 29516 posts — Last Post 04/19/14, 03:11PM

Real Estate Guru, Book & Course Reviews and Discussions

1133 topics, 11562 posts — Last Post 04/19/14, 12:17PM

Ask About A Real Estate Company

741 topics, 7321 posts — Last Post 04/19/14, 02:09PM

Real Estate Investing

Real Estate Strategies

Wholesaling

5605 topics, 43744 posts — Last Post 04/19/14, 03:13PM

Rehabbing and House Flipping

3334 topics, 31003 posts — Last Post 04/19/14, 01:08PM

Real Estate Development & New Home Construction

553 topics, 4684 posts — Last Post 04/19/14, 12:13PM

Innovative Strategies

703 topics, 6027 posts — Last Post 04/18/14, 08:48AM

Tax Liens, Notes, Paper, & Cash Flows Discussion

866 topics, 6678 posts — Last Post 04/19/14, 06:06AM

Rent to Own a.k.a. Lease Purchase, Lease Options

693 topics, 4901 posts — Last Post 04/19/14, 03:06PM

1031 Exchanges

143 topics, 1054 posts — Last Post 04/18/14, 08:41AM

Foreclosure Investing

General Foreclosure & Pre-Foreclosure Forums

1687 topics, 11287 posts — Last Post 04/19/14, 02:42PM

HUD, VA, and Tax Sales

414 topics, 3089 posts — Last Post 04/18/14, 12:05PM

REOs

1214 topics, 10576 posts — Last Post 04/19/14, 11:48AM

Short Sales

1534 topics, 13120 posts — Last Post 04/17/14, 04:44PM

Landlord & Tenant Forums

Landlord & Rental Property Questions

7205 topics, 70762 posts — Last Post 04/19/14, 02:28PM

Mobile Homes & Mobile Home Park Investing

638 topics, 5141 posts — Last Post 04/19/14, 09:49AM

Investor Basics

Starting Out

7704 topics, 60475 posts — Last Post 04/19/14, 02:47PM

Investor Psychology

431 topics, 6104 posts — Last Post 04/18/14, 06:08PM

General Real Estate Investing

4718 topics, 37208 posts — Last Post 04/19/14, 03:14PM

Real Estate Investor Marketing

1731 topics, 14094 posts — Last Post 04/19/14, 06:39AM

Commercial Real Estate

Commercial Real Estate Investing Forum

1410 topics, 8993 posts — Last Post 04/19/14, 02:45PM

Multi-Family and Apartment Investing

1109 topics, 9232 posts — Last Post 04/19/14, 02:16PM

The Business of Real Estate

Real Estate Technology and the Internet

Real Estate Technology, Social Media & Blogging

642 topics, 4897 posts — Last Post 04/19/14, 11:10AM

Business Basics

Goals, Business Plans & Entities

831 topics, 7562 posts — Last Post 04/18/14, 04:25PM

Real Estate Finance & Legal

Financial, Tax, and Legal

Tax, Legal Issues, Contracts, Self-Directed IRA

2786 topics, 20011 posts — Last Post 04/19/14, 02:14PM

Property Insurance

309 topics, 2045 posts — Last Post 04/17/14, 07:41PM

Personal Finance Discussion

328 topics, 2731 posts — Last Post 04/18/14, 04:33PM

Loans, Mortgages, Credit Lines

Private & Conventional Lending Discussion

2833 topics, 19699 posts — Last Post 04/19/14, 11:47AM

Creative Real Estate Financing

1209 topics, 8769 posts — Last Post 04/19/14, 06:24AM

Crowdfunding Real Estate

35 topics, 461 posts — Last Post 04/18/14, 05:17PM

Real Estate Professionals

Real Estate Professionals

Real Estate Agents

1210 topics, 7989 posts — Last Post 04/19/14, 08:04AM

Bankers, Lenders, and Mortgage Brokers

441 topics, 1922 posts — Last Post 04/18/14, 09:39AM

Contractors

268 topics, 1678 posts — Last Post 04/19/14, 03:38AM

Local Real Estate

Local Real Estate

Local Real Estate Networking & Recommendations

1990 topics, 11612 posts — Last Post 04/19/14, 02:11PM

Americans & International Real Estate

161 topics, 566 posts — Last Post 04/14/14, 11:19AM

Foreigners Buying in the USA

62 topics, 409 posts — Last Post 04/10/14, 06:27AM

Canadian Real Estate

64 topics, 428 posts — Last Post 04/18/14, 04:22AM

Marketplace

Real Estate Marketplace

Real Estate Marketplace

15017 topics, 53957 posts — Last Post 04/19/14, 03:13PM

Real Estate Events and Happenings

164 topics, 2514 posts — Last Post 04/19/14, 01:13PM

Off-Topic

Off Topic

Off-Topic

2905 topics, 32411 posts — Last Post 04/19/14, 08:03AM

Housing News & Real Estate Market

914 topics, 8351 posts — Last Post 04/17/14, 08:41AM

BiggerPockets Real Estate Investing Summit

97 topics, 1751 posts — Last Post 04/10/14, 02:27PM

BiggerPockets Resources

Forums » Landlord & Rental Property Questions » LLC use of EIN vs SSn

LLC use of EIN vs SSn

21 posts by 6 users

Signup

· Franktown, Colorado

'We are transfering property that is under our name to an LLC. We are planning to use a Special Warranty Deed. We want to continue to use our SSN rather than to get and start filing using a EIN, has anyone had experience if using SSN presence a risk for someone being able to go after personal property outside of the rental since the LLC is tied to your SSN. I would hope with the title under the LLC and a lease would limit your liability to the property under the LLC'.
Lastly, do you really need a separate checking account for each LLC. We have 3 properties. Why couldn't we have one account that we call rentals and maintain a spreadsheet for each property?

Accountant · Lake Villa, Illinois

@Lola Brin,

Here is the issue of still using your SSN after transferring it to the LLC. That is intermingling records. Either the transactions are done under the LLC or they are not. So yes, most attorneys will probably tell you not to bother with the LLC if you still plan to use your SSN. The Title doesn't mean anything if YOU are not treating it as a SEPARATE business that it is. That is where the problem comes.

Also, yes you should have a separate checking account for every LLC in order to keep from intermingling the funds between them.

Summary: If you want to be able to treat it as a separate entity, you must treat it as such.

-Steven

Small_hta_logoSteven Hamilton II, Hamilton Tax and Accounting
E-Mail: [email protected]
Telephone: (224) 381-2660
-Steven the Tax Guy Hamilton Tax and Accounting LLC (224) 381-2660

· Franktown, Colorado

FYI when you file taxes if you have an individual (1 person) LLC you are still filing under your SSN and BTW there is no location for the EIN (I checked with the accountant) on the schedule so what is the purpose of the EIN

Real Estate Investor · North Richland Hills, Texas

@Lola Brin , @Steven Hamilton II is right on track.....
This goes back to the structure/foundation of why to even form an LLC.
If you are going to be just "piddling" around with real estate...maybe using a DBA and your own SSN is OK...but let's face it..the reason for even having an LLC is for protection...not for tax purposes...
So...make it real...get the LLC..the EIN is free...let me repeat...FREE....why get an LLC and not utilize making it real with an EIN?
When you are a sole proprietor, (single member LLC) you file a Schedule C, and you pay 13% self employment tax, and, if you are like me you pay 31% on top of that on what you pay yourself, which goes to help support those loser deadbeats that won't work but get the free Obamaphone...
The purpose of the EIN is as you send out 1099's, and as you need to establish accounts with suppliers, they have your info, so the IRS can track your every move.
If someone files suit against your LLC, you don't want your SSN attached to it.
so...it comes down to one word...
Separation...

· Franktown, Colorado

Thanks

@Lola Brin,

Does that all answer your question? Please don't hesitate to ask us if you have any other questions.

-Steven

· Franktown, Colorado

This is crazy. I have filed for the LLC for each property, obtain the EIN, changed the name of the deeds to reflect the LLC using a Special Warranty deeds, opened individual checking accounts for each LLC. Now I'm working with property insurance and they have the insured as my husband and I and the LLC under Additional Interest.

We only are going to have our 3 properties and they are our retirement pension. We use the income to live off of. We want to protect ourself from any liability but not sure how the insurance works because an individual LLC is not considered a business, the IRS considers it a non-entity but for liability it does protect you but if the insurance companies handle in this manner does this defeat the whole effort. I would love some feedback regarding this issue. Thanks so much

· Orlando, Florida

Originally posted by Lola Brin:
This is crazy. I have filed for the LLC for each property, obtain the EIN, changed the name of the deeds to reflect the LLC using a Special Warranty deeds, opened individual checking accounts for each LLC. Now I'm working with property insurance and they have the insured as my husband and I and the LLC under Additional Interest.

We only are going to have our 3 properties and they are our retirement pension. We use the income to live off of. We want to protect ourself from any liability but not sure how the insurance works because an individual LLC is not considered a business, the IRS considers it a non-entity but for liability it does protect you but if the insurance companies handle in this manner does this defeat the whole effort. I would love some feedback regarding this issue. Thanks so much

Lola,

For what it's worth, an employee at IRS told me that the IRS treatment of the LLC as a disregarded entity occurs at the federal level, so it doesn't affect the veil piercing/charging order protection issue which takes place at the state court level.

· Franktown, Colorado

Thanks. That was my interpretation based on my research that the LLC protects you regarding liability. However, my real question is on the property insurance. I have been told that you need to keep your name(s) off of everything and ensure that expenses and income are kept separate but with property insurance based on my research they will only insure the individual not the LLC. They will add the LLC as an added interest, I guess additional insured party. Does that impact the LLC (affect the veil piercing)? The cost is significant with a business policy and we aren't a business. Anyone have any experience with dealing with property insurance and the ramification , if any, to having your name on the policy? I thought one way to sign the policy with my name, member. I read that implies that you are signing for the LLC.

Real Estate Investor · Audubon, Pennsylvania

The owner must be the insured. Who is the owner - the name on the deed / title. Once you have a change in the name on the deed, then your new owner will need to be insured.

If your insurance agent or company doesn't want to insure, then you should seek out an insurer that will cover LLC ownership - not all insurance companies want to insure property of LLC.

Steve Babiak, Redeeming Properties, LLC
Telephone: 6109082183

· Franktown, Colorado

based on my research, none do unless you get a commercial policy. Additionally, the only way they will is to insure the individual and add the LLC as an additional interest/insured. Again this is on a personal property insurance. My understanding anyone that does an individual LLC this is the way insurance company handle it. I'm in Colorado so not sure if this is a state issue.

· Orlando, Florida

Originally posted by @Lola Brin:
based on my research, none do unless you get a commercial policy. Additionally, the only way they will is to insure the individual and add the LLC as an additional interest/insured. Again this is on a personal property insurance. My understanding anyone that does an individual LLC this is the way insurance company handle it. I'm in Colorado so not sure if this is a state issue.

Lola Brin

I have mine set up that way with the insurance (my name as the primary insured, LLC listed as additional insured). My impression is that a number of others on this forum do this as well. Maybe I'm whistling past the graveyard, but my impression is that the most important veil-piercing issues are 1) not using LLC bank account for personal expenses 2) signing documents properly 3) not using LLC to commit fraud

When you say "individual LLC" are you referring to a single member LLC or an insurance policy that is personal rather than commercial?

· Franktown, Colorado

Yes, it is a single member LLC. Per our attorney, the insurance is only responsible to pay any claims to the owner, the owner would be the LLC if the deed was changed.. Not sure if the deed is in the LLC names and the individual is the person insured, how the "additional interest" (this is how the insurance policy list the LLC) if claims would be covered. I also thought if you sign the policy, the insured name, member; if that would avoid the piercing of the veil. I also found out the umbrella policy under a LLC would not be applicable for the rentals since the rental owner is the LLC and the umbrella is for the individuals. I'm trying to figure this out if we should change the properties to LLC's or just up our umbrella, get a new lease that covers us and require the renters to take out renter liability insurance. We have had our properties for 10 years and have been lucky. It was only when we were reviewing our Will that our attorney suggested it. Any experience and knowledge would be greatly appreciated.

· Orlando, Florida

I've been told you can't put multiple LLCs under one umbrella--if you want to do the umbrella you need to do a separate one over each LLC. Which is why I don't bother with an umbrella on my one LLC'd property.

You may be overthinking the insurance issue. If the carriers' rules state that the person must be the primary and the LLC Additional Insured, then large numbers of landlords in your state must be doing it this way. I doubt a judge would allow the veil to be pierced because of a standard practice in the insurance industry in your state. I think sloppy business practices would be a more likely avenue of piercing, which is why you should not do one bank account for more than one LLC.

Since you are already working with an attorney, maybe you should ask him or her about the veil piercing/additional insured issue. Most of us are not in Colorado so our advice may not apply to your situation.

I agree with @Bienes Raices, You should ask your attorney This is the reason you pay him.

SFR Investor · Houston, Texas

@Lola Brin Have you called and spoken with insurance companies or only googled it? My LLC is the primary and I'm second.

· Franktown, Colorado

Both companies and Internet. Liberty Mutual is checking to see if they can change this. I'm keeping my fingers crossed. Thanks everyone for your help.

· Orlando, Florida

Originally posted by Lola Brin:
Both companies and Internet. Liberty Mutual is checking to see if they can change this. I'm keeping my fingers crossed. Thanks everyone for your help.

Well I hope you do not end up paying more for that insurance policy or being trapped at that carrier forever just because they are are the only one who will place the LLC's name as the primary on the policy...

Has anyone verified that this is a real LLC veil-piercing issue, that it has actually been a successful tactic in court?

· Orlando, Florida

Here is an interesting (well, to us real estate geeks, anyway) article on the subject:

http://www.insuranceforinvestors.com/2011/08/the-problem-of-purchasing-insurance-in-the-name-of-an-llc/

· Franktown, Colorado

Thanks so much. I did read this when I was researching. I would agree with you logically that if you are maintaining separate records, personal and rental moneys separate that is the main thing. My attorney is out of the country for the holidays so I'm in limbo. I believe that if the insurance company treats the LLC as an owner and covers claims that it should work. Stay tuned......