Skip to content
General Landlording & Rental Properties

User Stats

Votes
Tamara Abel
  • El Dorado Hills, CA
Votes |
Can you charge a late fee for rent in California?

Tamara Abel
  • El Dorado Hills, CA
Posted Jun 18 2013, 18:05

Hi! I'm new to the landlord position and have a question. I'm setting up a lease and wanted to know if anyone knew if I could, as an individual landlord, have a late fee stipulation in the lease. I am not a property manager, obviously, and had heard that only property managers could charge late fees. So, if I can't...what wording COULD I use in the lease to kind of have the same thing in there but with different wording. Thanks!

User Stats

Votes
Mike Duran
  • Investor
  • Allen, TX
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Allen, TX
Replied Jun 18 2013, 18:25

You can charge late fees and it MUST be stated in the lease. Check your local regulations to see if there is an acceptable amount and when you can start charging the fees. Here in Texas, in my lease the rent late after the first but fees do not start accumulating until the 3rd.

Remember, it all must be in the lease. You can work with an attorney to set up a lease that you use or see if there is a standard lease from your state that you can use.

User Stats

Votes
Nurit P.
  • encino
Votes |
  • encino
Replied Jun 18 2013, 18:29

First question, are you governed under the Rent Stabilization Ordinance?
(rent control) If so, you need to comply with their rules and regulations. You can also go to the National Apartment Association website for information or AAGLA.org for standardized forms that will include the language you are looking for.

Good luck,

Nurit Petri

PropStream logo
PropStream
|
Sponsored
Nationwide property data Use our robust, multi-sourced data to find off-market properties and close your next deal.

User Stats

Votes
David Avetisyan
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Glendale, CA
Votes |
  • Glendale, CA
Replied Jun 18 2013, 18:59

As an individual landlord you can charge a late fee accordingly - even if the property is under rent control. And to save you the headache, you do not need to get fancy with wording, just keep it simple.

Good luck!

User Stats

Votes
Brian Burke
Pro Member
#1 Syndications & Passive Real Estate Investing Contributor
  • Investor
  • Santa Rosa, CA
Votes |
Pro Member
#1 Syndications & Passive Real Estate Investing Contributor
  • Investor
  • Santa Rosa, CA
Replied Jun 18 2013, 20:17

In short, yes. But there are limits on how much you can charge. The problem is, there is no bright-line rule.

Until a couple years ago, there was no reported case in California addressing “late fees” in the landlord/tenant context. In 2004, the Appellate Division of the Superior Court of Los Angeles, in Orozco v. Casimiro rejected the tenant’s argument that late fees are always void. In this case a tenant who was assessed a late fee of $50 (on rent of $600/month) argued that a fixed late fee in a residential lease is always void because (1) late fees are only allowed when it is impracticable or extremely difficult to fix actual damages, (2) the landlord is entitled only to interest for late payment of rent; and (3) interest is not impracticable or extremely difficult to fix. The tenant also argued that even if the fees are allowed, the owner must plead and prove that the damages were impracticable or extremely difficult to fix, which he did not do in this case.

The court rejected the tenant’s first argument that late fees are not impractical to fix because interest is the only damage allowed. The tenant’s argument was premised on Civil Code Section 3302, which states that “[t]he detriment caused by the breach of an obligation to pay money only, is deemed to be the amount due by the terms of the obligation, with interest thereon.” However, the court ruled that the owner is also entitled to “administrative costs related to collecting and accounting for late payments.”

Despite the favorable ruling on the validity of late fees in rental agreements, generally, the court ultimately invalidated the fee at issue because the owner had failed to plead or prove that the damages were extremely difficult to fix. The court stated “[a]lthough respondent may have been able to present evidence below that would have shown in this particular case that damages resulting from the late payment of rent were impracticable or extremely difficult to fix, he did not do so.” Therefore the late fee was not entitled to the presumption of validity.

Tips from the California Apartment Association on how you can increase the likelihood of having your fee upheld in court:

Put the fee in the rental agreement

Include language in the agreement stating that the late charge does not establish a grace period and that the parties agree that the charge is presumed to be the amount of damage sustained because of late payment and that it is impracticable or extremely difficult to fix the actual charge. Failure to pay the fee is a material breach of the lease.

Have some information in your file about how you arrived at the amount of the fee, demonstrating the difficulty of determining the actual administrative cost (in addition to interest). You will need this if your fee is challenged in court.

A one time fee of a fixed dollar amount is less likely to be viewed as a penalty than a per-day fee or percentage. The per-day fee is more subject to challenge, since the administrative costs of a late payment, in most circumstances, would not increase markedly from one day to the next. The percentage fee is susceptible to challenge because the portion of the fee the represents administrative costs may not increase proportionate to the amount of rent.

Consult with an attorney before you add a late fee to your rental agreement to determine both the amount and the documentation you should maintain.

User Stats

Votes
Kyle J.
  • Northern, CA
Votes |
  • Northern, CA
Replied Jun 18 2013, 20:57

Tamara, as some of the others have mentioned, yes you can charge a late fee. (You don't have to be an actual property manager to do so.) I set my late fees at 5% of the rent (so a $50 late fee if the rent is $1000), which is reasonable.

User Stats

Votes
Tamara Abel
  • El Dorado Hills, CA
Votes |
  • El Dorado Hills, CA
Replied Jun 19 2013, 08:43

Thank you all for the quick, and informative, responses!!

User Stats

Votes
Gene Hacker
  • Investor and Home Inspector
  • Lake Isabella, CA
Votes |
  • Investor and Home Inspector
  • Lake Isabella, CA
Replied Dec 2 2015, 00:25

I was at a FIBI meet up tonight and the consensus in the room was that a home owner could charge 10% as a late fee, as if it was a clear cut rule.  But @Brian Burke 's response in this old thread is more along the lines with my understanding. (I found this old thread googling the topic)  

I personally have been charging 6% of the rent amount with no problem but if I could boost it to 10% that could be a helpful deterrent to late payers.

I am curious what other CA landlords are charging and if any have had issues defending the fee they charge in front of a judge. 

User Stats

Votes
Tysen Bradley
  • Visalia, CA
Votes |
  • Visalia, CA
Replied Dec 6 2015, 07:22

if the renters are late and you charge a late fee, how exactly do you enforce the late fee? like how do you get them to pay it?