Rehabbing & House Flipping

User Stats

Votes
Tom Server
Votes |
203K LOAN? or Personal loan

Tom Server
Posted Mar 19 2024, 16:38

Hello, I'm purchasing a rehab property as a cash deal. Im looking to do about 25k worth of repairs towards it. I would like to finance the repairs. Would a 203k loan work in this situation or do I have to apply for a personal loan? Or HELOC

User Stats

Votes
Jason Wray
Pro Member
  • Banker
  • Nationwide
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Banker
  • Nationwide
Replied Mar 19 2024, 20:50

Tom,

A 203K loan is not worth the hassle to only take out $25K in rehab costs.  I would simply do a cash out refinance on the property or take out a personal loan.  Personal loans are easier to get now a days up to $50K with good credit.

You can always refinance down the road to consolidate the perosnal loan into one of the properties.

User Stats

Votes
Matthew Paul#2 Contractors Contributor
  • Severna Park, MD
Votes |
  • Severna Park, MD
Replied Mar 20 2024, 03:48

A lot of contractors offer financing 

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Paul Welden
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Tempe, AZ
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Tempe, AZ
Replied Mar 20 2024, 11:40

@Tom Server

I think that the 203k is not a good fit for your scenario because you are buying the property with cash and the 203k is a mortgage loan that includes the purchase price + the rehab costs. So technically, a 203k will not work for your situation unless you do a refi AFTER you buy it or do not pay cash but do a 203k from the onset. 

Alternatively, you could do an FHA Title I Home Improvement Loan up to $25k.

Hope this helps! 

User Stats

Votes
Jason Potrzeba
  • Lender
  • Warwick Rhode Island
Votes |
  • Lender
  • Warwick Rhode Island
Replied Apr 1 2024, 10:57
Quote from @Paul Welden:

@Tom Server

I think that the 203k is not a good fit for your scenario because you are buying the property with cash and the 203k is a mortgage loan that includes the purchase price + the rehab costs. So technically, a 203k will not work for your situation unless you do a refi AFTER you buy it or do not pay cash but do a 203k from the onset. 

Alternatively, you could do an FHA Title I Home Improvement Loan up to $25k.

Hope this helps! 

The Title 1 Loan could be a good fit for your situation.