• Investor
  • Cedar Rapids, IA
Votes |
Replacing Tub Faucet

Adam Moehn
  • Investor
  • Cedar Rapids, IA
Posted Oct 8 2014, 20:42

I need to replace a broken diverter tub faucet. I've not done much plumbing before, but I unscrewed the old one and took it to Home Depot thinking I could just find a replacement to screw back on. Well, it's not as easy as I though because everything is for 1/2" or 3/4" pipes, but the old one screwed onto a 1 1/4" adapter that's attached to the end of the pipe.

Does anyone know where I can get a diverter tub faucet that will fit? The big box stores don't seem to have ones that will. Or do I need to figure out how to remove the 1 1/4" adapter to get down to a standard 1/2" pipe? I think it's sweated on.

Account Closed
  • Residential Real Estate Broker
  • Wood Village, OR
Votes |
  • Wood Village, OR
Replied Oct 8 2014, 20:54

@Adam Moehn , As far as my bathroom remodeling experience, the easiest way to deal with the plumbing/faucet issue is to purchase a new faucet with a valve.  Disconnect the existing plumbing upstream reasonable enough to give you room to install adaptors and new plumbing.  The easiest plumbing to install (plug and play) is using Sharkbit pipe (plastic) and push-fittings/connectors.  It's like playing with legos!

Account Closed
  • Wood Village, OR
Votes |
  • Wood Village, OR
Replied Oct 8 2014, 20:56

Oh yeah, standard is 1/2", but.... if you're downsizing, you could get more water pressure out of your shower with 3/4".  I did that on accident with a remodel, but it turned out to have GREAT and enjoyable water volume/pressure.

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Adam Moehn
  • Investor
  • Cedar Rapids, IA
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Cedar Rapids, IA
Replied Oct 8 2014, 21:06

Thanks Kyle, but I'm not talking about replacing any piping, just getting a tub faucet that will attach to the existing piping. The existing piping is 1/2" but with a 1 1/4" adapter on the end of it.

User Stats

Votes
Adam Moehn
  • Investor
  • Cedar Rapids, IA
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Cedar Rapids, IA
Replied Oct 8 2014, 21:35

Some digging online found this thread, I think Delta's RP17453 might be what I need. Now to find somewhere around here that sells it....

http://terrylove.com/forums/index.php?threads/delta-rp17453-single-spout-tub-diverter.41762/

User Stats

Votes
Kathleen Leary
  • Princeton, KS
Votes |
  • Princeton, KS
Replied Oct 10 2014, 05:57

Look for a plumbing supply house - "real" plumbers don't shop at HD, y'know. Take your parts & pieces, plus a photo & throw yourself on their mercy. I'll bet the guys can help you out - if they don't have the part, they can tell you exactly what you need to do to fix it.

User Stats

Votes
Christopher Gilbert
  • Investor
  • Pflugerville, TX
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Pflugerville, TX
Replied Oct 10 2014, 06:09

You will have to go to a plumbers supply store, the big box stores are pretty useless when ti comes to items like this.  I come across this on just about every rehab or rental that I fix up.  There are a few brands like Delta and Moen that make "old" style kits that can be swapped out but they usually charge much more for them and there is a good chance of damaging the diverter housing if it gets stuck in there.  I usually just swap the whole thing out for a newer style and redo the plumbing since it will make future maintanence easier, especially if you are keeping the unit as a rental or for yourself.

User Stats

Votes
Jassem A.
  • Investor
  • Pennsylvania
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Pennsylvania
Replied Oct 10 2014, 06:35

You can get the RP17453 on amazon for about $15.  If you print if off and bring it to a plumbing supply store, they might match the price if it is higher.

User Stats

Votes
Andrew D.
  • Investor
  • Cedar Rapids, IA
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Cedar Rapids, IA
Replied Oct 11 2014, 18:47

That is the standard adapter for most Delta faucets.  In Cedar Rapids you may have luck finding a replacement at Plumb Supply or Ferguson.  Also check out Habitat for Humanity Restore.  It seems like every time I'm in there I run into a fellow landlord!

User Stats

Votes
Adam Moehn
  • Investor
  • Cedar Rapids, IA
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Cedar Rapids, IA
Replied Oct 13 2014, 16:18

I had planned to go to a plumbing store but they seem to pretty much only be open during normal work hours, which doesn't work well for me since I have a day job. So I ended up buying the faucet on amazon. It fit perfectly!

User Stats

Votes
Nhi Nguyen
  • Contractor / Flipper
  • Hayward, CA
Votes |
  • Contractor / Flipper
  • Hayward, CA
Replied Oct 14 2014, 20:39

happy ending story!  This is great :)

User Stats

Votes
Austin Davis
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Cedar Rapids, IA
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Cedar Rapids, IA
Replied Oct 18 2014, 05:12

Gotta love Amazon.com!  Glad it worked out.  Leaned some good stuff from this thread.  Thanks, @Adam Moehn .