BiggerPockets

Trafficmaster Allure and Vinyl Wood Flooring

Forum Powered By:

25 posts by 20 users

To participate in forum discussions, create a free account or login.

John Chapman

Real Estate Investor from Dallas, Texas

May 04 '12, 07:35 AM

I'm a huge fan of durable flooring for rentals. (I won't do carpet.) My personal favorite is porcelain tile as it's practically bulletproof and aesthetically acceptable here in Texas. Sometimes, though tile is not an option (e.g. a second story with too much bounce.) I've tried laminate but it doesn't seem that durable to me and water really messes it up easily.

I just tried out Trafficmaster Allure in a new house I'm rehabbing and it seemed to come out really. It's got a 25-year warranty, seems way more durable than laminate, is waterproof, and is very easy to install (just need a utility knife). That being said, it's pricy at $1.79 square foot at Home Depot, though you can use 10% coupons and everything. (I would not use this product for a flip.)

I was wondering if anyone has used this product and what the results were. Is it as durable as it appears? Have you found that tenants like the product? Is there a product that is just as good but less expensive? Is vinyl wood flooring becoming more accepted? (I realize this probably depends on the type of rental you have.)

Joe M.

Real Estate Investor from Hartville, Ohio

May 04 '12, 07:48 AM

I've not used that product before but I'd also be interested in others experience.

I'm like you.....I do tile in all the bathrooms but here in Ohio tile isn't really acceptable in other areas. I mean I suppose I could but it just isn't done that often from what I've seen.

I have however done the laminate hardwood. I never do carpet. I like the laminate in the kitchen, living areas and hallways. I do however do a small square tile area near the main entrance to the house where people would normally come in and take shoes off. So far I've had decent luck with the laminate. It's cheap and pretty easy to install and seems to make the rooms look larger than with just carpet.

James Vermillion Donor

Real Estate Investor from Lexington, Kentucky

May 04 '12, 07:48 AM

I do not have any experience with it but it was discussed recently in a few other threads

http://www.biggerpockets.com/forums/84/topics/44791-anyone-have-experience-with-vinyl-plank-flooring-

http://www.biggerpockets.com/forums/52/topics/72940-carpet-damage

I hope that helps answer some of your questions.

Edited May 4 2012, 07:55 by James Vermillion

Medium_kvJames Vermillion, K&V Investing
E-Mail: [email protected]
Invested in the Bluegrass!

Ann Bellamy Verified

Real Estate Lender from Tyngsboro, Massachusetts

May 04 '12, 07:52 AM

I have a small 1BR apt (old building, floors not even) where I installed Allure in the entire apartment, including the bedroom, but put sheet vinyl in the bath.

The building is in a nice safe neighborhood in a small town, and appeals to young people starting out and divorced people who don't have much and need someplace cheap and safe.

It's been in about 2 years, and I have had the same tenant for those two years. She is immaculate, however, so may not be a good test. But the floor looks brand new and she reports no problems. She puts down scatter rugs for aesthetics.

In inexpensive rentals, it may be worth it to reinforce and/or level the floor to enable putting down Allure without it looking bumpy, since it will conform to the floor.

Another advantage that you didn't mention is that you can replace just a few planks, and not the whole floor, when it gets damaged.

Medium_small_logoAnn Bellamy, Buy Now, LLC
Telephone: 800-418-0081
Hard money lending in NH and MA, and for free networking in MA, http://www.BlackDiamondREI.com

Arthur Garcia

Real Estate Investor from Glendora, California

May 04 '12, 07:53 AM

@John Chapman & @Joe M. - I have this stuff in 3 of my rentals and so far so good (only 1.5 years in action). The tenants have had a harder time messing up this flooring, it really is super durable.

The other benefit is that I can install it myself with just a box cutter. I also like that it comes in different colors. IMO, it looks like more "high end" than just title.

AG

Steve Babiak

Real Estate Investor from Audubon, Pennsylvania

May 04 '12, 09:20 AM

I have vinyl plank (Mannington brand) in the basement of a unit (where the finished basement rents for a higher amount). It works great for that purpose because it isn't damaged by water. The glue-down product requires that the subfloor have a low moisture content so that the adhesive holds. Will be installing more vinyl plank in other finished basements - the tenants like it. So far it has been durable enough.

Similar vinyl plank is now used in Walmart stores near me - with all the foot traffic they get, I'd be surprised if they chose that and it was unable to hold up.

Steve Babiak, Redeeming Properties, LLC
Telephone: 6109082183

Jerry D.

Houston, tx

May 11 '12, 01:55 PM

Question are yall using the glue down to each other type of the snap ones?

Jon P.

Landlord from Oklahoma City, Oklahoma

May 11 '12, 02:22 PM

I just installed some Armstrong brand vinyl planks from Lowes. They are the floating kind that stick only to each other. They look decent and are very quick and easy to install.

Lowes has a couple of colors on sale for under $1.00 a foot right now (although their pricing may vary regionally). Search the website for these item numbers:

Jon Pitcher Attorney/Broker [email protected] 405.418.6407

James H.

SFR Investor from Texas

May 11 '12, 02:29 PM

I used some Traffic Master luxury vinyl tile in the kitchen and bath of a rental. It is full stick on the back and not quite the same product, but I consider it to be in the same "family" of products. It looks good and is in good shape so far. Only been in use for about 8 months...It really seamed like the best compromize for a bouncy floor of a low cost rental. The full sticky back will be a pain to remove when its time to replace. I like the idea of the planks that stick to each other and not to the floor - just had to cut the spending at one point or another. I read TONS of reviews before making the decision and there appear to be a lot of satisified users of luxury vinyl tile/plank products.

K. Marie Poe

Real Estate Investor from Central Valley, California

May 11 '12, 02:55 PM

Allure is a low end line and the thinnest vinyl planking. My biggest concern was adhesive quality and potential off gassing so I never bought it. Definitely read the reviews from users of Allure on the HD website and elsewhere. I've used one of the higher end Armstrong vinyl planking products and one of Konecto's mid range products.They look fabulous and went in easy enough. However, they were installed over brand new 3/8 plywood subfloors.

In one case, I had a new subfloor installed over one layer of 1970s vinyl, one layer of peel and stick tiles and then the original subfloor. A truly disgusting vinyl sandwich. That floor was level for install but remained spongy because of joist damage. I knew that going in and knew the installer's warranty wouldn't apply. The client is on a 7-year plan (please make it last 7 years before they tear it down). The vinyl planking adhesive is doing very well after two years even though there is definitely some subfloor movement and shifting.

The mid to upper range vinyl planking really is different from Allure. The textures and colors are far superior. For anyone considering an upgrade I suggest checking them out.

John Chapman

Real Estate Investor from Dallas, Texas

May 11 '12, 05:04 PM

@K. Marie Poe. Interesting. I have to say I was a little concerned with some of the reviews I saw on HD's website but so far so good. Where did you buy the Konecto and Armstrong? Do you recall the price per square foot you paid? Thanks.

Shawn R.

Real Estate Investor from Auburn, New York

May 11 '12, 08:28 PM

That’s so odd I just installed one of these floors today! It was the traffic master allure cherry for $1.79 sf. minus the usual contractor discount. I do a lot of work for other local investors and have seen a steady increase in the use of this type of flooring. Most of my experience has been with the allure and although there are other brands in this price range the allure seems to perform a bit better. I was in a unit I rehabbed about a month ago and the two year old install still looked great even with somewhat “rough” tenants living there. One thing I have noticed however is that surface especially on the faux wood finishes can be very pores this can lead to difficult cleaning as far as paint clean up is concerned so use drop clothes. The price of this product is also offset by its ease of install when paying contractors.

Stephen Masek

SFR Investor from Mission Viejo, California

May 11 '12, 08:35 PM

I discovered this material when I noticed that one of my company's clients uses Urban Luxury Vinyl plank flooring in kitchens and bathrooms of their apartments, and it appears to be very durable and looks quite nice.

Edited May 13 2012, 16:24 by Administrator: Link removed

Stephen Masek, Masek Consulting Services, Inc.
Telephone: 949-581-8503
The lever in "leverage" pries both ways! Also president of http://www.alppa.org

Ann Bellamy Verified

May 12 '12, 03:26 AM

@Stephen Masek, it appears from the installation instructions that Urban has to be adhered to the subfloor like VCT. Allure sticks to itself and does not adhere to the floor. So if you need to replace a few pieces you can do it easily. Not so with Urban.

Hard money lending in NH and MA, and for free networking in MA, http://www.BlackDiamondREI.com

Dan V.

Residential Landlord from Illinois

May 12 '12, 08:24 PM

I've used it in housing for mental health clients but not my own rentals as of yet.
It goes down quick and is forgiving of any defects in the subfloor. It has held up rather well. No gassing issues. An occasional corner or edge may pop up. You will need to be sure that the adhesive edges are pressed firmly(I've even thought about rolling it) and that there is a space around the perimeter of the floor for it to float.

The issues that I have had in one particular unit was that there was an area where the surface was worn down due to repetitive movement. These floors also do not like water; it's possible for the water to get under it if it is mopped heavily or flooded(I'm still looking for the perfect flooring for this mental health client. It may end up being painted or stained concrete).

A combination of the Allure flooring and good tenant screening should give you many years of service life.

Ann Bellamy Verified

May 13 '12, 04:01 AM

@Dan V., the installation instructions for Allure tell you to roll the floor. I guarantee you are not the only one to fail to read the instructions, my contractor included. :-)

Brian Morgan

Real Estate Investor from Dracut, Massachusetts

May 13 '12, 04:28 AM
1 vote

I have Allure in a few of my units. 3 years and going strong. Durable and Super Easy to install. The floating floor is great for a subfloor that has slight imperfections. Has survived tenant toilet overflow, normal shower use, and mopping in the baths.

I would certainly recommend this product for rentals.

Dan V.

Residential Landlord from Illinois

May 13 '12, 08:04 AM
1 vote

@Ann Bellamy, I am aware that it is recommended that the floor be rolled. I have used a nylon roller in areas at times but not a weighted one.
In order to avoid the few problems that I've had, I will haul that weighted roller up those stairs.
My thinking was that I can avoid rolling the floor by pressing harder and walking on the seams.

Ann Bellamy Verified

May 13 '12, 08:07 AM

@Dan V. I'd probably take that route too. My contractor didn't do either one.

Ben Stout

Real Estate Investor from Pensacola, Florida

Feb 08, 04:47 AM

Funnily enough, I called the Home Depot tool rental and came to the conclusion that the floor roller recommendation is probably an upselling technique.. along with the Allure floor cleaner.

The tool rental guy said "I've had that in my rental houses for 4 years and it looks great. I never rented a roller... I think it's a waste of time and money."

(Don't Want to See This? Log in or Create a Free BiggerPockets.com Account!)

Ubg-book

Get the Free eBook from BiggerPockets

Get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks, and techniques delivered straight to your inbox weekly!

• Actionable Advice for Getting Started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more!

We hate spam just as much as you

To post a reply or start a new discussion, create a free account or login.

Manage Keyword Alerts

View All Forums