Skip to content
Tax Liens & Mortgage Notes

User Stats

Votes
Bob Malecki#3 Tax Liens & Mortgage Notes Contributor
  • Investor
  • Kingston, WA
Votes |
size of the non-performing and sub-performing residential mortgage loan market?

• Investor
  • Kingston, WA
Posted Sep 2 2014, 10:42

I'm working on a research report and looking for a reliable source for the size of the non-performing and sub-performing residential mortgage loan market in the U.S. defined by either value of debt or amount of loans. The former would be most helpful. I have a document that states $566 billion but it does not frame the date of that estimate nor the source for the data.

Can anyone recommend a website or report that provides current info? 

Thanks

User Stats

Votes
Dion DePaoli
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Northwest Indiana, IN
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Northwest Indiana, IN
Replied Sep 2 2014, 11:47

Bob, you can get source information from each of the agencies on their own like Fannie, Freddie and HUD. Also, the Federal Reserve Board of Governors publishes reports and findings. Also the Mortgage Banker's of America. All those guys, with the exception of the MBA, have public reports on their sites. The MBA requires membership.

One of the more recent numbers I have seen for the market is north of $660 Billion.  There are many metrics that go into figuring those numbers and it is a very fluid number with many footnotes of what got counted and how.  

Good Luck.

User Stats

Votes
  • Investor
  • Kingston, WA
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Kingston, WA
Replied Sep 2 2014, 16:26

Thanks Dion. After a bit of googling about, I found http://www.newyorkfed.org/householdcredit/2014-q2/data/pdf/HHDC_2014Q2.pdf where they state that there is $521B in seriously delinquent residential loans as of Q2/14

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Dion DePaoli
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Northwest Indiana, IN
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Northwest Indiana, IN
Replied Sep 3 2014, 07:02

I see, you are trying to use 90 Days Past Due ("Seriously Delinquent").  The report has both numbers:  "About $724 billion of debt is delinquent, with $521 billion seriously delinquent (at least 90 days late or “severely derogatory”)."

Also for others Link to Report