• San Diego, CA
Votes |
Startup Capital - What did you use?

Mark Scarola
Pro Member
  • Developer
  • San Diego, CA
Posted Sep 10 2014, 09:30

I'm curious as to how others got started in the paper business. In my case I began buying notes with money that had been saved and previously invested elsewhere. 

What was your source of start up capital? Did you use savings, a self-directed IRA, get a loan, find business partners with cash but no time, PPM investors......?

User Stats

Votes
Bob Malecki#3 Tax Liens & Mortgage Notes Contributor
  • Investor
  • Kingston, WA
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Kingston, WA
Replied Sep 10 2014, 09:38

I started with self directed IRA funds and still using that resource to build up our retirement income. Also set up a Reg D private equity fund to raise capital to be able to purchase larger pools and expand our reach.

Bob

User Stats

Votes
Andrew Syrios
Pro Member
  • Residential Real Estate Investor
  • Kansas City, MO
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Residential Real Estate Investor
  • Kansas City, MO
ModeratorReplied Sep 10 2014, 09:50

I partnered with my father. I had one friend partner with his brother's father-in-law, another used savings, my dad got a loan from his father, another started as a manager and eventually built up enough capital to buy some properties. 

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Bob E.
  • Queen Creek, AZ
Votes |
  • Queen Creek, AZ
Replied Sep 10 2014, 11:18

When we started our NP Note business a few months ago I brought in a partner.  We both contributed equally but it split the risk while we figured out if the business was going to work.  Since then we have started to see results and have invested additional capital.

@Bob Malecki How difficult was it for you to set up your Reg D fund?  What were the costs involved?

Bob

User Stats

Votes
  • Investor
  • Kingston, WA
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Kingston, WA
Replied Sep 10 2014, 11:34

A Reg D fund will cost anywhere from $15K-$30K to have a competent securities attorney write the PPM, Operating agreements, disclosures, do the appropriate filings and provide guidance for promoting your fund while staying compliant with SEC and state securities regulations. 

User Stats

Votes
Jim Farrell
  • Clarksville, MD
Votes |
  • Clarksville, MD
Replied Sep 10 2014, 14:14

In my case, it's a self-directed IRA.

@Bob Malecki , are your Reg D fund investors of the "friends and family" sort?

User Stats

Votes
Sean M.
  • Vancouver, BC
Votes |
  • Vancouver, BC
Replied Sep 10 2014, 18:48

@Bob E.  I'm a securities/finance attorney in Canada, and amongst other things, I create the types of PE funds and fund structures for Reg Ds (actually Canada's equivalents, called AIs) that Bob M is referring to.  

Costs in Canada are different than the US, but I would add to @Bob Malecki 's comment that costs are $15k to as high as your creativity can lead.  Lots of these funds get very, very complicated - and the costs rise to match.  Similarly, if you get into the institutional investors, they'll have their own forms and legal reviews - which will add more and more costs.  The flip side to the costs of bring creative is that you can be incredibility flexible in your structures - it makes them really fun to create, one of the favorite parts of my job.   

User Stats

Votes
Bob E.
  • Queen Creek, AZ
Votes |
  • Queen Creek, AZ
Replied Sep 10 2014, 20:54

@Bob Malecki  @Sean M.   Thanks for sharing.   I think I am a little t small right now but would love to be able to do an offering someday.

Bob E.

User Stats

Votes
Sean M.
  • Vancouver, BC
Votes |
  • Vancouver, BC
Replied Sep 10 2014, 22:12

Bob, just for clarity - I create funds for other people, I'm just the legal monkey putting it together for them.  I'm way to early/small to have a fund of my own.

User Stats

Votes
  • Investor
  • Kingston, WA
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Kingston, WA
Replied Sep 11 2014, 07:05
Originally posted by @Jim Farrell:

In my case, it's a self-directed IRA.

@Bob Malecki , are your Reg D fund investors of the "friends and family" sort?

Yes the first fund is friends/family, the new fund I am starting is going to be accredited only with a $100K min. investment. 

User Stats

Votes
Mark Scarola
Pro Member
  • Developer
  • San Diego, CA
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Developer
  • San Diego, CA
Replied Sep 11 2014, 15:38

I'm in the same boat right now-- not ready to start a fund, but would love to work towards creating one in the future.

@Sean M.- I'm not sure how familiar you are with US law, but I wonder if you have any thoughts about how the two countries are different. In other words, are there major legal differences between US and Canadian funds or are they fairly similar? If you had the opportunity to create your own fund tomorrow- what country would you choose?

User Stats

Votes
Sean M.
  • Vancouver, BC
Votes |
  • Vancouver, BC
Replied Sep 11 2014, 23:57

@Mark Scarola  - there are a number of differences, but the regimes are broadly similar (in fact, the larger "cross border" funds are often two mirror funds, one in each country, that allow residents of each country to invest in the fund resident in their respective countries).  

Talk to your lawyer about your specific situation but generally the jurisdiction of your fund will be a natural result of the structure you choose and where you and your investors are located (in some industries it might be focused on a global hot spot for the industry).  You will have to comply with the rules of the jurisdictions of both your fund and your investors, so you can't avoid unfavorable rules by setting up outside of the US if that's where your investors are.  Also, mind and management tests could jam you up if you created a foreign fund, but undertook all activities locally.  

I'm over complicating it and I could go on for pages, but in brief - consider the interests of your investor group and create your fund accordingly.  Are they a friends and family group? If so, do they have the means to address the tax consequences of an out-of-country fund? Are they a larger institutional investor? If so, do they have regional guidelines/limits they need to abide by for their investment mix?  The rules are close enough in each country that in most cases it won't be a deciding factor - you will benefit more from choosing an objectively reasonable structure that is transparent to, and provides a smooth investment process for, your investors. 

Hopefully I haven't rambled too long and the 3 paragraph "it depends" is useful for you.  If you are thinking of setting up a fund, talk to a good attorney in the field, they'll know what is market in your area and have an idea of what the investors are used to seeing.     

User Stats

Votes
Mark Scarola
Pro Member
  • Developer
  • San Diego, CA
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Developer
  • San Diego, CA
Replied Sep 12 2014, 11:32

Wow, thanks @Sean M. for that. I understand of course that the answer will always be "it depends" and that the location of your investors and other factors will play a role. I guess my thought was if you had an equal number of investors in each country, would the rules of one or the other be so dramatically different that you'd be swayed to say "Well, obviously Canada/US would make my life simpler." And you did answer that in saying that the rules are close enough in each country to not be a deciding factor. That's really all I was getting at. Thanks again!

User Stats

Votes
Sean M.
  • Vancouver, BC
Votes |
  • Vancouver, BC
Replied Sep 12 2014, 12:41

@Mark Scarola lol, you correctly summed up my 3 paragraphs in a sentence - damn lawyers, always use 10 words when 1 will do. 

User Stats

Votes
Arthur Mayer
  • Contractor
  • Rancho Cucamonga, CA
Votes |
  • Contractor
  • Rancho Cucamonga, CA
Replied Sep 13 2014, 18:55

Curious is a Reg D fund the same as Crowd Funding? Does it require accredited investors to invest in your re-performing notes?