BiggerPockets

Building Basic Website

Forum Powered By:

17 posts by 16 users

To participate in forum discussions, create a free account or login.

C W

Real Estate Agent from Washington

Mar 27 '09, 01:48 PM

I'm looking to build a basic website and was looking for some suggestions on how to get started.

I have very minimal web design knowledge, so I was thinking of starting with a basic hosting site like homestead.com, where I can start with template.

Any ideas?

Edited Jun 26 2010, 07:44

Harrison Painter

Indianapolis, Indiana

Mar 27 '09, 03:01 PM

What is your goal for the site?

Edited Jun 26 2010, 07:45

C W

Real Estate Agent from Washington

Mar 30 '09, 03:56 AM

My goal is to better advertise myself and my services, both as an agent and an investor.

Edited Jun 26 2010, 07:46

Jim Ong

St Paul, Minnesota

Mar 31 '09, 06:08 AM

Do you have a website domain name picked out already?

Edited Jun 26 2010, 07:47

Hal Cranmer

Real Estate Investor from Lakeville, Minnesota

May 03 '09, 12:21 PM

I want to get involved with the web as well, but I don't have much experience. I am looking to flip a duplex that I am bidding on and would like to use the web to sell it.

Is there any courses/books/websites that I can use to learn quickly how to sell a house on the web? What about using it to find other properties to flip?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
Hal

Edited Jun 26 2010, 08:07

Justin S. Donor

Real Estate Investor from Chandler, Arizona

May 28 '09, 04:26 AM

Download a trial version of Adobe Dreamweaver and see if you like doing the design yourself. If not several bigger domain companies (go daddy for example) have easy to use software to build your website. Adobe has several tutorials that will get you a basic website up and running. I plan to buy a template online and edit for my stuff.

Edited Jun 26 2010, 08:22

Medium_rezamp_buscard_whiteJustin S., Rezamp, LLC
E-Mail: [email protected]
Telephone: 4806780446
FREE Powerful software that discovers real estate deals- Available in AZ, TX, NV, FL, IN

Rachel Rofe

Real Estate Consultant from San Diego, California

May 28 '09, 05:26 AM
1 vote

A basic blog from Wordpress.com is a great starting point, and you can mix and match different templates to customize the look you like.

It's super-simple, user-friendly, and search engines love it.

If you grab a domain, a lot of hosting companies have "fantastico" set up in the user panel so you can add it to your site seamlessly. :)

If you need any help, PM me - and FYI, I'll be going away tomorrow until June 6th.

Edited Jun 26 2010, 08:22

Braxton Beyer

Residential Real Estate Agent from Austin, Texas

Jul 26 '09, 11:04 PM

I highly recommend going with Wordpress. It's easy to get started and there a lot of prebuilt themes you can use to get up and running quickly.

Edited Jun 26 2010, 09:07

Christian Russell

Virtual Assistant from West Lafayette, Indiana

Aug 05 '09, 04:24 AM

wa_re_2008 - get a domain name and hosting account at http://www.bluehost.com. Use their simplescripts program to automatically install any type of website you want. dig in, tweak to your heart's content! Feel free to hit me with questions if you like :)

Hal Cranmer - awesome reason to start a site...however if you don't have a lot of knowledge on building sites, and your main goal is simply to sell a single property, get on FSBO sites and list it everywhere for free. no reason to make it more complicated than it needs to be!

wordpress, blogger and other free services are great, easy ways to get started. I highly recommend either hiring someone or taking on the learning curve and building a professional site on your own domain if you want to do it long term or for professional reasons.

Edited Jun 26 2010, 09:14

Michael Gier

Real Estate Investor from Los Angeles, California

Aug 16 '09, 04:38 AM

I site I've used to build a free website is weebly.com. They aren't perfect but they are a great place for a nice easy to create website.

Then once you purchase a domain you just point it to your weebly site.

Edited Jun 26 2010, 09:23

Tiger Sun

Real Estate Investor from Weston, Florida

Sep 30 '09, 01:03 PM

Weebly is nice. Wordpress is excellent as well, but overall, it depends on what your needs are exactly. If you are soley advertising yourself as an investor/agent, than a wordpress blog may be sufficient as it creates more of a "profile" for yourself.

If you are selling just a single house, than I don't really see a webpage as necessary. There are so many places to post it up online in addition to social marketing, you can easily get the home sold without working an completely new website for it, not to say it would not help.

If you plan to go "corporate" by listing products online, services, links, pictures/etc and dive into the internet marketing world, you may want to go for a more professional approach. I agree with Christian, you may need to hire someone or just dive into learning ropes.

Edited Jun 26 2010, 09:53

Clint S.

Real Estate Coach from Thornton, Colorado

Oct 23 '09, 11:35 AM

Send me an email and if I am on a good mood (haha) I will setup your WP blog for you on my hosting account - if I am too busy I can probably still help out as I can get my staff to help for a small fee.

Edited Jun 26 2010, 10:13

Eddie Price

Real Estate Investor from Orange County, California

Oct 26 '09, 09:11 AM

I'd say hire someone to do a fully functional site for leads and buyers. If not you can use wordpress but consider the time you'll be spending doing it.

Edited Jun 26 2010, 10:15

Andrew Urban

Real Estate Investor from Providence, Rhode Island

Nov 19 '09, 06:28 AM

A good URL from GoDaddy and Ning.com, as easy as it gets. Plus Ning now has tons of great social media plug ins. Wordpress.org also works well but can be a little more complex at times. Even large coprs are now using Ning for campaign ads.

Edited Jun 26 2010, 10:35

Jose R.

Real Estate Investor from Kahuku, Hawaii

Nov 19 '09, 06:46 AM

Go with Word Press. Like anything it takes a bit getting use to. But once you have it down, you'll be bangin out sites in no time.

My site is a Word Press site.

Edited Jun 26 2010, 10:35 by Administrator

Mike Tooley

Wholesaler from Orange County, California

Jan 07 '10, 01:49 AM

So do you design the website first? (I'm using Homestead) and then host your domain? (I'm using GoDaddy)

Or do I have it backwards? I've already checked to see if the domain is available. I still need to register it.

Edited Jun 26 2010, 11:08

Christian Russell

Virtual Assistant from West Lafayette, Indiana

Jan 07 '10, 04:45 AM

Originally posted by Mike Tooley:
So do you design the website first? (I'm using Homestead) and then host your domain? (I'm using GoDaddy)

Or do I have it backwards? I've already checked to see if the domain is available. I still need to register it.

Set up hosting (usually comes with a domain), then build your site on the server. You can build prior and just upload also. Just depends on how you like to work. One word of caution...be careful checking for a domain and then coming back later to buy it. Often, if you've checked availability a couple times it will be gone...a taster will have nabbed it.

If you need any help getting things up and running I'm happy to help.

Edited Jun 26 2010, 11:08

(Don't Want to See This? Log in or Create a Free BiggerPockets.com Account!)

Ubg-book

Get the Free eBook from BiggerPockets

Get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks, and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable Advice for Getting Started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more!

We hate spam just as much as you

To post a reply or start a new discussion, create a free account or login.

Manage Keyword Alerts

View All Forums