• Wholesaler
  • Orwell, NY
Votes |
Pulling comps if you already have an assessment value

Nichole Wall
  • Wholesaler
  • Orwell, NY
Posted Jul 29 2014, 17:00

Why do I need to pull comps on these properties I'm finding (for deal analysis) if I am also finding assessment values on them?? I have been analyzing deals and I use our counties real property search to look up the current assessment (what they get taxed on). Wouldn't that be the number to use for the ARV granted you're not making any major changes such as adding a bath or bedroom to it?? Sorry if it seems trivial.

User Stats

Votes
Carolina E.
  • Investor
  • NW Indiana
Votes |
  • Investor
  • NW Indiana
Replied Jul 29 2014, 19:29

@Nichole Wall  county assessments, at least what I have found are very rarely correct.  You need to look up comps to see what people are actually willing to pay for the properties.  Try it out, find current assessments for a property type and they find comps.  Look to see how they match up.  That is why a lot of sellers always think their property is worth more than it really is.

User Stats

Votes
Nichole Wall
  • Wholesaler
  • Orwell, NY
Votes |
  • Wholesaler
  • Orwell, NY
Replied Jul 29 2014, 19:45

Okay, thank you!!

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Dawn Brenengen
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Raleigh, NC
Votes |
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Raleigh, NC
ModeratorReplied Jul 29 2014, 19:46

in my area, tax assessments are only revalued every eight years. A LOT can change in eight years. You want to know market value of the home, not assessed value. 

It's kind of like getting your engagement ring appraised for insurance. The appraiser gives you some huge number, but if you ever get a divorce, there is no way you will be able to sell it on the open market for even half that. 

User Stats

Votes
Priscilla Z.
Pro Member
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Palm Bay, FL
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Palm Bay, FL
Replied Jul 29 2014, 19:57

@Nichole Wall - I agree with what the other ladies have said.  Also add that the county assessment does not take into consideration the condition of the house, or the updates that have been done.  I've sold houses for twice the amount of what the county assessed them for....and also, don't bother with zillow's numbers either.  You can however, use zillow as a source for "nearby houses sold", and find some comps that way.  Your best bet is a Realtor pulling comps for you so you can have pictures and know condition of the house, etc.