Skip to content
Real Estate Deal Analysis & Advice

User Stats

Votes
David Humphrey
  • Akron, OH
Votes |
Deal Analysis Requested. Novice looking for advice.

David Humphrey
  • Akron, OH
Posted Dec 17 2014, 19:19

Hello BP,

I've got an offer in on a deal currently that I would like some numbers looked over.  If possible.  Here's how it breaks down:

It's a 4br/1.5ba in Akron Ohio with 1700 SF

$22,500 Purchase price, offer at $18,500.

$10,000 Rehab Costs (Mostly cosmetic, update bath, some front porch repair)

$1200 Carrying costs for 6 months

$70-75k ARV based on similar but smaller home sales in the neighborhood in the last 4 months (4 sales)

I would be coming at this with all cash.  The numbers look great, but any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Also, I'm new to the forums and would like to thank everyone for the warm response!  Thanks.

Dave

User Stats

Votes
Jared Lichtin
  • Flipper/Rehabber
  • Cleveland, OH
Votes |
  • Flipper/Rehabber
  • Cleveland, OH
Replied Dec 17 2014, 19:21

Dave, I live in akron and rehab homes here. It totally depends where you are buying. What neighborhood is it in? Are you planning to sell it or rent it out?

User Stats

Votes
David Humphrey
  • Akron, OH
Votes |
  • Akron, OH
Replied Dec 17 2014, 19:23

@Jared Lichtin  It's a property that is on the Southern boundary of North Hill.  It would be a fix and flip hoping to hit the market in April if everything goes to plan.

Rental Home Council logo
Rental Home Council
|
Sponsored
Advocating for Single-Family Rental Housing Drive rental policy change. Protect your investments with a National Rental Home Council membership.

User Stats

Votes
Arlan Potter
  • Investor/Accountant/Builder
  • Meno, OK
Votes |
  • Meno, OK
Replied Dec 17 2014, 19:27

I don't know what the market in Akron looks like but your numbers almost seem too good to be true. I would imagine a more realistic rehab cost would be $20-30,000. That would be about $50,000 ready to sell. A profit of $15. Now if you do all the labor yourself the rehab would be considerably less. It just seems that if that deal was really out there with those numbers, it would never have hit any market, it would have been sold before a newbie ever had a chance to see it.

PS.   I hope the deal is real and you get it.

User Stats

Votes
David Humphrey
  • Akron, OH
Votes |
  • Akron, OH
Replied Dec 17 2014, 19:32

@Arlan Potter  Akron is a funny market. I would be doing the majority of the work myself, but the house is very solid.   I have done two rehabs already, so I'm familiar with materials cost and labor cost in the area.  I have a good team established from the first few, so I think that the 10K number is spot on, if not a shade high.  Believe me though, I definitely understand the skepticism.  The value in the neighborhood is higher than I imagined it was based on those very, very recent sales. 

User Stats

Votes
David Humphrey
  • Akron, OH
Votes |
  • Akron, OH
Replied Dec 17 2014, 19:35

Forgive me, ARV would be in the 60-65k range. Fat fingers.

User Stats

Votes
Arlan Potter
  • Meno, OK
Votes |
  • Meno, OK
Replied Dec 17 2014, 19:39

@David Humphrey it sounds like a winner. When I remodel my rentals, the actual labor is what drives up the rehabs cost. I do hire my rehabs out almost 100% and it is probably at least 2/3 of the total cost.

User Stats

Votes
Jared Lichtin
  • Flipper/Rehabber
  • Cleveland, OH
Votes |
  • Flipper/Rehabber
  • Cleveland, OH
Replied Dec 17 2014, 19:49

I just looked online. I am not familiar with this area, but it seems like a lot of inventory, so I would pull more comps to make sure the days on mkt isn't so high. Not really sure who buys around there. But again I'm not familiar with this area. I'm in negotiations on a few houses right now. Pm me and i would be glad to discuss. My last job was a 60k remodel in fairlawn heights.

User Stats

Votes
Crystal Smith
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Chicago, IL
Votes |
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Chicago, IL
ModeratorReplied Dec 18 2014, 09:11

@David Humphrey:  Numbers look great.  Only advice I have to include in your analysis is a close review of the average days on market for the sold comparables.  Also evaluate an alternative exit strategy & review the rental numbers in the area.  Your cash needs for this deal is less than $30K.  If the rentals in the area are high enough you may be able to keep it or sell it as a cash flow.  

The Smith Group Logo

User Stats

Votes
David Humphrey
  • Akron, OH
Votes |
  • Akron, OH
Replied Dec 18 2014, 21:45

Hey @Crystal Smith .  Great suggestion. Alternate "exit" strategy on this property would be to keep it as a rental.  A 4/2 rental in that area is rather uncommon so I believe it would be at $800-825 a month.  

User Stats

Votes
Tim Gross
  • Investor
  • Houston, TX
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Houston, TX
Replied Dec 18 2014, 21:58

Don't know that market at all but seems like a home run & if this is your first deal it sounds like a great one because you won't have that much risk out there and you can get your feet wet. After you knock this one out of the park you can look at more expensive homes as you get more comfortable/more capital.

User Stats

Votes
David Humphrey
  • Akron, OH
Votes |
  • Akron, OH
Replied Dec 18 2014, 22:03

Hey @Tim Gross . Not my first deal, but this is my first since joining BP. My first two were totally no brainer deals with so much room that it was impossible to go wrong. First was a $6,500 purchase, $10,000 rehab, $45,000 ARV and second was a $20k purchase, $15k rehab and an $85k ARV. Done all of this work since May, so it's been a busy year, especially with a full time job and all work performed by myself and fiancee.

User Stats

Votes
Tim Gross
  • Investor
  • Houston, TX
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Houston, TX
Replied Dec 18 2014, 22:11
@David Humphrey

That is awesome, I did the weekend warrior thing too for a year with my fiance and we did as much as we could too. Working 7 days a week and the weekends being manual labor was a true test of our relationship lol, and we eventually decided to leave our corporate jobs and do this full time. Congrats to you guys for making it through, we always joke if we can do this together with the stress etc. we can do anything and we are actually getting married on Saturday. Best of luck to you, keep us all posted on what you decide to do.

Steadily logo
Steadily
|
Sponsored
America’s best-rated landlord insurance nationwide Quotes online in minutes. Single-family, fix n’ flips, short-term rentals, and more. Great prices.

User Stats

Votes
David Humphrey
  • Akron, OH
Votes |
  • Akron, OH
Replied Dec 19 2014, 10:25

@Tim Gross Sounds like we have a similar story, just no date to tie the knot yet for us.  It's definitely a test of patience for both of us. 

User Stats

Votes
Mike Walker
  • Realtor
  • Stow, OH
Votes |
  • Realtor
  • Stow, OH
Replied Dec 20 2014, 12:20

$70-$75 ARV might be a bit high for the area, you might want to reconsider and be a bit more conservative.

User Stats

Votes
David Humphrey
  • Akron, OH
Votes |
  • Akron, OH
Replied Dec 20 2014, 12:26

@Mike Walker.  Totally agree.  I revised it up top to be $60-65.  Typo.