Skip to content
Pro Members Get Full Access
Succeed in real estate investing with proven toolkits that have helped thousands of aspiring and existing investors achieve financial freedom.
$0 TODAY
$32.50/month, billed annually after your 7-day trial.
Cancel anytime
Find the right properties and ace your analysis
Market Finder with key investor metrics for all US markets, plus a list of recommended markets.
Deal Finder with investor-focused filters and notifications for new properties
Unlimited access to 9+ rental analysis calculators and rent estimator tools
Off-market deal finding software from Invelo ($638 value)
Supercharge your network
Pro profile badge
Pro exclusive community forums and threads
Build your landlord command center
All-in-one property management software from RentRedi ($240 value)
Portfolio monitoring and accounting from Stessa
Lawyer-approved lease agreement packages for all 50-states ($4,950 value) *annual subscribers only
Shortcut the learning curve
Live Q&A sessions with experts
Webinar replay archive
50% off investing courses ($290 value)
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 3 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
Real Estate Deal Analysis & Advice
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Seth C.
  • Investor
  • Monterey, CA
Votes |
Possible code violations etc. on an owner carry.

Seth C.
  • Investor
  • Monterey, CA
Posted Jul 30 2015, 23:42

I have an opportunity that might hit my numbers on a property that has 6 units.

Pros:

Area is decent, exterior is in slightly deferred maintenance mode, 100/door as-is, rents have room to grow, retiring owner will finance at 3.75% on 30 yr amort./10 yr balloon with 20% down. double digit cash on cash...

Cons:

No photos of the interior, and can't view without offer. I am not even remotely local, but that will be the case for any deal I do. We have property in the city and mgmt in place.

There are probably some serious code violations: the building is slab so water has been run over the top of the roof; a garage has been converted into a unit... 

There is no onsite laundry, laundromat nearby (depending on layout might be a huge value-add bonus--I expect this is the case for a couple units, 3 will never have laundry, maybe a common laundry solution, but I don't know).

As far as I can tell the owners are nice/easy to work with, the realtor is the current PM and is ... not very transparent. I would use our other co for mgmt for sure.

The city will do a thorough code violation check for $200 with a 2-6 week wait, and I can have code corrections included in the contract. Code violation $ might pay to have laundry installed. They are so disorganized the city does not even know how many units are legal without this check!

If the garage is not legal, 1/6 off my bid (great deal for me because it is the worst unit).

The property is in the 150,000 range--it will never be a huge moneymaker, perhaps a solid $10,000/yr cash flow in a year or two.

Questions:

Is this too much of a PITA for $7200/yr as-is?

What else stands out on this?

Thanks!

Loading replies...