What would you pay for this fourplex?

What would you pay for this fourplex?

Residential Real Estate Agent · Cedar Park, TX · Member since 2009 · 13 posts · 0 votes

2007 model fourplex near Austin TX
3700sf total, all 2bed/2bath units,2 stories, carports
2.85% taxes
HOA $360/mo (community center and pool, workout room, etc)
2 units currently rented for 859 and 979, other two should be about 859 as well (979 unit is partially furnished)
Very nice area, desirable location (schools, employers, etc)
$0 needed in repairs

What is the max price you are willing to pay? Lets assume 20% down.

0Reply
2 views

Most Popular Reply

Rental Property Investor · Mercer Island, WA · Member since 2008 · 22k+ posts · 14k+ votes
16y

OK, start with $859 rent per unit. Renting furniture for $120 a month is a separate business. Taxes in TX are high, and bugs are a problem, but you don't have heating problems or the damage inflicted by harsh winters. Assuming tentants pay all utilities, you should be close to the 50% rule.

OTOH, it sounds like a condo, so HOA fees are always a wild card. Personally, I loathe HOAs. Even when I lived in Houston for many years, which is rife with HOAs, I always avoided them.

So, here's my math:

Rent: $3436
Expenses: $1718 (includes vacancy and capital)
NOI: $1718
Desired cash flow: $400
Left for payment: $1318
Max loan (and price): $219,831.35 (assumes 30 years at 7%)

That's ignoring the down payment. Really, that's another way of saying you're making the same return on the down payment as you're paying on the loan. (If you're willing to invest your cash for zero return, PM me, I'll be glad to help you out. :-))

So, if we put in the down payment of 20%

Down: $43,955.27
Loan: $175,865.08
Actual payment: $1054.40
Cash flow: $663.60/month
Cash flow: $7963.20/year
Cash on cash return: 18%

Looks like the right price to me.

So, tell us, what are they asking?

See this reply in the discussion

11 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Real Estate Investor · Fresno, CA · Member since 2009 · 105 posts · 71 votes
    16y

    I can't speak for the Texas market but in my investment area I am seeing 4 plex with about 3K in income go for about 175K - 200k (w/ no association fees) and you can step up to fixers for about 125k

  • Real Estate Investor · Portland, OR · Member since 2009 · 660 posts · 244 votes
    16y

    Amount down shouldn't factor ... assuming HOA in good standing and zero repairs, I'd consider going as high as $170k

  • Rental Property Investor · Mercer Island, WA · Member since 2008 · 22k+ posts · 14k+ votes
    16y

    OK, start with $859 rent per unit. Renting furniture for $120 a month is a separate business. Taxes in TX are high, and bugs are a problem, but you don't have heating problems or the damage inflicted by harsh winters. Assuming tentants pay all utilities, you should be close to the 50% rule.

    OTOH, it sounds like a condo, so HOA fees are always a wild card. Personally, I loathe HOAs. Even when I lived in Houston for many years, which is rife with HOAs, I always avoided them.

    So, here's my math:

    Rent: $3436
    Expenses: $1718 (includes vacancy and capital)
    NOI: $1718
    Desired cash flow: $400
    Left for payment: $1318
    Max loan (and price): $219,831.35 (assumes 30 years at 7%)

    That's ignoring the down payment. Really, that's another way of saying you're making the same return on the down payment as you're paying on the loan. (If you're willing to invest your cash for zero return, PM me, I'll be glad to help you out. :-))

    So, if we put in the down payment of 20%

    Down: $43,955.27
    Loan: $175,865.08
    Actual payment: $1054.40
    Cash flow: $663.60/month
    Cash flow: $7963.20/year
    Cash on cash return: 18%

    Looks like the right price to me.

    So, tell us, what are they asking?

  • Residential Real Estate Agent · Cedar Park, TX · Member since 2009 · 13 posts · 0 votes
    16y

    Thanks Jon, thats what I was looking for. They are asking $275k. Last purchase was in early 08, has a $325k note out on it.

  • Real Estate Investor · Portland, OR · Member since 2009 · 660 posts · 244 votes
    16y

    No one breaks it down better than Jon!!

  • Real Estate Investor · Milwaukee, WI · Member since 2008 · 1k+ posts · 671 votes
    16y

    What did you offer or are you listing this?

  • Residential Real Estate Agent · Cedar Park, TX · Member since 2009 · 13 posts · 0 votes
    16y

    Jeff, I am working with an investor who I thought would be interested in this, wanted to run it by a few of yall first.

  • Real Estate Investor · Audubon, PA · Member since 2009 · 13k+ posts · 8k+ votes
    16y

    Most of the 1-4 unit multis that I see from the local MLS in my area aren't even worth the time it takes for running the numbers on them. So it doesn't surprise me to see the same thing elsewhere.

  • Residential Real Estate Agent · Cedar Park, TX · Member since 2009 · 13 posts · 0 votes
    16y

    Steve, that is exactly what I have found..

  • Sharad M.Pro Member
    Carlsbad, CA · Member since 2010 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    16y
    Rent: $3436
    Expenses: $1718 (includes vacancy and capital)
    NOI: $1718
    Desired cash flow: $400
    Left for payment: $1318
    Max loan (and price): $219,831.35 (assumes 30 years at 7%)

    Can Jon or anyone else please explain me how the Max Loan amount comes to $219,831.35? I recalculated the numbers, but I get to $198,105.37. Am I missing some cost of $21k here? Thanks in advance! :D

  • Sharad M.Pro Member
    Carlsbad, CA · Member since 2010 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    16y
    Rent: $3436
    Expenses: $1718 (includes vacancy and capital)
    NOI: $1718
    Desired cash flow: $400
    Left for payment: $1318
    Max loan (and price): $219,831.35 (assumes 30 years at 7%)

    Can Jon or anyone else please explain me how the Max Loan amount comes to $219,831.35? I recalculated the numbers, but I get to $198,105.37. Am I missing some cost of $21k here? Thanks in advance!
    Down: $43,955.27
    Loan: $175,865.08
    Actual payment: $1054.40

    I must be doing something wrong here, because if I use the loan amount of $175,865.08 at 7% interest for 30 years, I get an actual payment of $1,170.03.

    However, if I use the actual payment of $1,054.40 to back into the loan amount, I get to $158,484.29, which is 80% of $198,105.37.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.