• Fayetteville WV
Votes |
Midterm rental websites

Daniel Uchimoto
Pro Member
  • Contractor
  • Fayetteville WV
Posted Dec 10 2022, 07:14

Looking to MTR our STR for the winter. Besides Furnished Finder, what are the other websites worth posting on for mid-term rentals? Any help and information is appreciated.

User Stats

Votes
Nathan Gesner
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Cody, WY
Votes |
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Cody, WY
ModeratorReplied Dec 11 2022, 06:59
Quote from @Daniel Uchimoto:

Looking to MTR our STR for the winter. Besides Furnished Finder, what are the other websites worth posting on for mid-term rentals? Any help and information is appreciated.

A medium-term rental is just a long-term rental with a made-up name. They've existed forever and were always referred to as month-to-month rentals or long-term rentals. The same laws apply, you use the same lease agreement, and you advertise in the same places: zillow, realtor.com, apartments.com, furnishedfinder, zumper, etc.

Please don't let this unnecessary, made-up term confuse you. 

• Property Manager Wyoming (#12599)

American West Realty & Management Logo

User Stats

Votes
Miller McSwain
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Colorado Springs, CO
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Colorado Springs, CO
Replied Dec 13 2022, 17:02

@Daniel Uchimoto

There are some MTR specific sites in addition to Furnished Finders.

Check out kopa.co and consider listing on Airbnb with a 30 day minimum stay!

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Bonnie Low
Pro Member
#1 Medium-Term Rentals Contributor
  • Investor
  • Cottonwood, CA
Votes |
Pro Member
#1 Medium-Term Rentals Contributor
  • Investor
  • Cottonwood, CA
Replied Dec 14 2022, 15:03

Time to get with the times @Nathan Gesner. No matter how much you fight it, it's a thing. Not sure what's to be gained by resisting. I have both midterm and long term and they definitely are two different animals. To each his own.

User Stats

Votes
Replied Oct 25 2023, 05:38
Quote from @Bonnie Low:

Time to get with the times @Nathan Gesner. No matter how much you fight it, it's a thing. Not sure what's to be gained by resisting. I have both midterm and long term and they definitely are two different animals. To each his own.

LOL.. My thoughts exactly.  You can even vary them in one building!  I own a duplex.  The top floor is long term and the bottom floor is medium term.  I don't do short term.  Yes. They are all different animals. 

User Stats

Votes
Nathan Gesner
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Cody, WY
Votes |
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Cody, WY
ModeratorReplied Oct 25 2023, 08:55
Quote from @Bonnie Low:

I don't disagree with the concept. In fact, I regularly rent properties furnished, with utilities included. Landlords have been doing it for decades. 

My concern is that someone created this new term (medium-term rental) that was completely unnecessary and it's causing confusion. A large percentage of investors are managing them improperly, typically marketing and operating them like short-term rentals without realizing they are long-term rentals and long-term rental laws apply.

I'm just trying to keep people from getting themselves into a pickle, but the masses don't seem to care. I may lose the argument, but it won't be because I'm wrong. :)

User Stats

Votes
Travis Timmons
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Houston, TX
Votes |
  • Houston, TX
Replied Oct 25 2023, 09:14

"I may lose the argument, but it won't be because I'm wrong" 

I'm gonna start using that while arguing/disagreeing with my wife. I'll report back and let you know how it turns out. 

User Stats

Votes
Michelle Beckham
  • Spanish Fort, AL
Votes |
  • Spanish Fort, AL
Replied Jan 22 2024, 09:03

The #1 website that has been servicing the Mid-Term Rental and monthly stay market for over a decade is MonthlyRentalsByOwner.com

They don't charge service fees (like the big sites VRBO & AirBnB), plus you get immediate direct communication with the guest.

They only charge an annual subscroption up-front of $173/year per property, and that also gets you posted as well to their Snowbird website for monthly renters, www.AmericanSnowbird.com - all included in that one annual fee. The websites have been around since 2003, and regularly produce over 30,000+ monthly and multi-month/seasonal rental inquiries per year, the past two years.

Good luck to you.

User Stats

Votes
Madeline Mercer
  • Newark Nj
Votes |
  • Newark Nj
Replied Mar 11 2024, 17:06

Good day BPs

I'm looking for a mid-term rental mentor. Preferably in New Jersey but anywhere is better than nowhere? 

User Stats

Votes
David Kulbacki
Pro Member
Votes |
Pro Member
Replied Mar 25 2024, 01:57
Quote from @Nathan Gesner:
Quote from @Bonnie Low:

I don't disagree with the concept. In fact, I regularly rent properties furnished, with utilities included. Landlords have been doing it for decades. 

My concern is that someone created this new term (medium-term rental) that was completely unnecessary and it's causing confusion. A large percentage of investors are managing them improperly, typically marketing and operating them like short-term rentals without realizing they are long-term rentals and long-term rental laws apply.

I'm just trying to keep people from getting themselves into a pickle, but the masses don't seem to care. I may lose the argument, but it won't be because I'm wrong. :)

Hi Nathan. I see this is an old post, but was hoping you could expand on the hazards of using STR platforms to advertise and book month to month rentals? I have a month to month rental that I list on traditional sites such as Zillow, realtor.com, etc, and have the tenant sign a lease. I want to explore listing on platforms such as airbnb and vrbo, but I don't think they allow you to have a lease the tenants sign. Does a month long stay on airbnb or vrbo open you up to different tenant's rights rules that would leave the property owner unprotected?

If there is a different set of rules once a tenant stays a month, and there isn't a way to have tenants sign a lease using STR listing platforms, then what protects medium term rental owners?

User Stats

Votes
Nathan Gesner
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Cody, WY
Votes |
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Cody, WY
ModeratorReplied Mar 25 2024, 05:00
Quote from @David Kulbacki:

I have never heard of any platform restricting a guest from signing an agreement. We always did it. Even our short-term rentals had a rental agreement with policies for payment, penalties, rules, etc.

Here's something from AirBnB regarding rental agreements: https://www.airbnb.com/help/article/465